Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon if the forward line can start to function, Daniher might feel less pressure to kick straight which might help him, I sometimes think that he misses when he is trying too hard.
Yeah I think it's totally mental. You can see when he kicks without thinking; all soul, no over thinking. Hooker and another capable tall target, together with Lanford and Fantasia on the upward improvement trajectory should be good for JD.

I hope it stays that way. Never want to want to have anything to do with future picks. Its bad business.

Brooklyn Nets in the NBA once traded their first rounders in 2014, 2016, and 2018 to Boston for grizzled veterans in a shortcut to rebuild. The veterans left and now they're rubbish and out of pocket come draft time. They gave up pick three this year for blokes who are retired or elsewhere.

You'd imagine only Richmond would be capable of that.

In my view, we should draft right up to pick 56.
ie currently 2 available spots (as above) plus delist McKernan (Stewart replaces), Kommer and Dempsey.
Picks available 1,20,29,39,57 and PSD1.
Use 5 of them. See who is available at PSD, and evaluate that against anyone we can draft at 57 on draft night. Use one or other.
It really boils down to whether we think the last player we delist of the three (McKernan in my view) is better value to us than whoever we can get at pick 56 or PSD1.
I think we are in rebuild mode and need to take all the potshots we can at the draft. I would rather an unknown who might be a 10-15% chance of being a good player, than a known who is only a backup.

I can already see all of Nyuon, Eades and Morgan being busts for us. We need to keep turning them over.
PS Any love for Aaron Heppell? Maybe to replace Wallis on the rookie list. However, with Dea and Kelly being added, there might not be room for him.
Don't think we have the list spots to make that many picks.
Right now here's what we've done so far:

Senior List:
Confirmed outgoing: Hibberd (traded with Pick 59 for Picks 29 & 68), Ashby (delisted), Cooney (retired), Edwards (delisted), Gwilt (delisted), Pears (retired).
Confirmed incoming: Stewart (traded for Pick 77), Kelly (DFA), Dea (DFA), McDonald-Tipungwuti (upgraded).
Likely outgoing: Dempsey (delist), McKernan (delist), Kommer (delist).

Rookie List:
Confirmed outgoing: Wallis (delisted), McDonald-Tipungwuti (upgraded).
Likely outgoing: Hams (just can't see a space opening up for him)
Likely retained: Connor McKenna (will spend one last year on the rookie list before being upgraded), Jake Long (likely spends 1-2 more years on the rookie list before being upgraded), Gach Nyuon (likely to spend 2 more years on the rookie list, after which he'll either be upgraded or delisted).

So overall that's a possible 9 players out of the senior list and 4 confirmed players in. Which leaves between 5 and 7 list spots free depending on what size list we want to take into next year I'd like to take in a full list (40 players) so here's what I'd do:

Pre-Season Draft:
Pick 1: Harry Dear

Delisted Free Agency:
Tom Downie

National Draft (does not include where picks may fall after academy bids):
Pick 1: Hugh McCluggage/Andrew McGrath/Jack Bowes/Will Setterfield/Tim Taranto/William Brodie
Pick 20: Jy Simpkin/Daniel Venables/Joshua Battle/Tim English
Pick 29: William Drew/Dylan Clarke/Jarrod Berry
Pick 41: ?????
Pick 68: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (rookie upgrade)

Rookie Draft:
Pick 1: ?????
Pick 19: ?????

2017 Best 22 (using currently listed players):
FB:
Michael Hurley - Michael Hartley - Mark Baguley
HB: Brendon Goddard - Cale Hooker - James Kelly
C: Travis Colyer - Jobe Watson - David Zaharakis
R: Matthew Leuenberger - Dyson Heppell - Zach Merrett
HF: Kyle Langford - Joe Daniher - Jayden Laverde
FF: Orazio Fantasia - James Stewart - Aaron Francis
I/C: Darcy Parish - David Myers - Brent Stanton - Tom Bellchambers

Also in the mix:
Matthew Dea, Mitch Brown, Heath Hocking, Martin Gleeson, Craig Bird, Connor McKenna, Jake Long, Patrick Ambrose, Jackson Merrett, Mason Redman (as well as our draftees and potential PSD pick and DFA?).

Players who could potentially retired and/or be traded/delisted after next year:
Jobe Watson, Brent Stanton, Brendon Goddard, James Kelly, Jackson Merrett, Craig Bird, Ben Howlett, Alex Morgan, Yestin Eades.

Yeah I think it's totally mental. You can see when he kicks without thinking; all soul, no over thinking. Hooker and another capable tall target, together with Lanford and Fantasia on the upward improvement trajectory should be good for JD.

Hooker has put his hand up to be a forward but I see Lavarde as becoming a key forward with Hooker in defense but then again Hooker might have used his time away to really hone his goal kicking.

Hooker has put his hand up to be a forward but I see Lavarde as becoming a key forward with Hooker in defense but then again Hooker might have used his time away to really hone his goal kicking.
Laverde will become a midfielder not a key forward, bit of a silly comment. He's 190 cm so as far as any forward role, he'd likely be a mid-sized lead up option.

Brooklyn Nets in the NBA once traded their first rounders in 2014, 2016, and 2018 to Boston for grizzled veterans in a shortcut to rebuild. The veterans left and now they're rubbish and out of pocket come draft time. They gave up pick three this year for blokes who are retired or elsewhere.

If only Richmond had a crazy Russian billionaire owner ...

You're talking about KG & The Truth though, HOF level guys. It was a smart trade.

*I may or may not be a celtics fan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After all we have been through, maybe just go with our picks and stick with our current list?
Take swaps for 2017 where we can build after seeing how we go. That'll be good I expect.
Put faith in guys and get picks loaded for 2017.

The trade period rating for us on Fox Footy is interesting reading. If Stewart even get's close to replicating similar numbers to what Membrey produced this year (he kicked 44 goals in 17 matches, and had he played all 2 games he would've gone close to kicking 60 goals based on his 2.6 goals per game average) it'll be a massive win for us.

ESSENDON

Who Left: Michael Hibberd (Melbourne)

Who Arrived: James Stewart (GWS Giants)

Draft Picks: 1, 20, 29, 41, 68

Champion Data says: “Hibberd is a big loss. He intercepts and provides run-and-carry. The closest comparison for Stewart is Tim Membrey — he spent a couple of seasons in the NEAFL and their numbers are very comparable.”

Chris Pelchen says: “Credit to Essendon. They’ve been able to bring in Stewart, who is an underrated player with limited opportunity. I think he’ll be a handy pick-up. By getting Pick 29, they’re back in the second round. It gives them a real chance in this draft.”

Grade: 6/10

The trade period rating for us on Fox Footy is interesting reading. If Stewart even get's close to replicating similar numbers to what Membrey produced this year (he kicked 44 goals in 17 matches, and had he played all 2 games he would've gone close to kicking 60 goals based on his 2.6 goals per game average) it'll be a massive win for us.

Their numbers might be comparable but they play very differently. If we go in expecting 40 to 50 goals then we will end up disappointed. I'd be hoping for 30 goals or around 1.5 goals a game if he is best 22 next season and then he can work his way up from there.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't delist Kommer, Dempsey and McKernan. Hams should also be delisted from the rookie list.

McKernan is the only one that might warrant a list spot - as ruck depth in case Leuy and Bellchambers go down - but the other three have no role to play next season.

I'd rather see Laverde develop into an inside bull of a mid. We've already seen how capable he is going through there.

I agree with Hooker's ideal spot being back though. I'm conceding that his best role for the team this year will be forward, unfortunately. Stewart's development, and Dear's if he's picked, will be vital in my view, at least until we draft Hogan or Lobb or Battle's ready (coz Pick 20, right? right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back