Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Issaac Heaney
Callum Mills
Darcy Parish
Clayton Oliver
Jacob Hopper
James Sicily
All good 1st year players.
I wasn't necessarily talking about ready to go juniors what about these blokes that played in their 1st year, I wouldn't call them juniors.
Anthony Mcdondal Tipungwuti
Josh Smith
Sam Collins
Marcus Adams
Josh Wagner.

I'm suggesting some handy types such as
Bolton, Bell and Ryan.
They are ready to go after Stanton and Myers hang up the socks after the 2017 season.
And neither of these guys are juniors.
But I'm suggesting the juniors that we do grab make them a few, that way they are more than likely can develop and will play at the club in future.
Cheers

Oliver sure, came from the clouds but the others were either in elite programs from a young age or re third/fourth year in the AFL (Scicily).

The guys who will replace Stanton, Jobe, Myers, Hocking should be on the list or ready to go in 2018. At the moment they are all 2017 AFL listed players. Post planning yes, but getting rid of them pre season is just silly.

We have a very good nucleus of players, with the 2016 saga, gave an opportunities to younger guys to be exposed to the rigors of AFL at such a young age.

What will happen tomRedman? To Jackson Merret? What about Alex Morgan if he gets his body right? Yeah, let's add to this list with our three picks inside 30 but they don't HAVE to walk into the AFL.

Haven't done one of these in a while so let me do one again:

Delisted/traded/retired: Hibberd, Ashby, Dempsey, Pears, Cooney, Edwards, Eades, Nyuon, Kommer, Hams, Gwilt, McKernan, Wallis

Trade in/DFA/Upgraded: Kelly, Dea, Stewart, Green, Richards, Walla, McKenna

Draft:

1. Andrew McGrath
20. Sam Powell-Pepper
29. Jordan Gallucci
41. Ben Long

Rookie Draft:

1. Darcy Cameron
19. Jordan Sweet
37. Yestin Eades
55. Ozgar Uysal (Cat B)
73. Hisham Kerbatieh (Cat B)
91. Ben Ronke (Cat B)

Best 22:

Baguley - Hartley - Hooker
Gleeson - Hurley - Goddard
Zaharakis - Heppell - Z Merrett
Colyer - Daniher - Fantasia
Walla - Stewart - Bellchambers
Leuenberger - Myers - Watson
Parish - Stanton - Langford - Hocking

Reserves:

Morgan - Brown - Dea
McGrath - Ambrose - Francis
J Merrett - Bird - McKenna
J Long - Richards - Redman
Eades - Cameron - Green
Sweet - Laverde - Howlett
Kelly - Kerbatieh - Ronke - B Long - Uysal - Powell-Pepper - Gallucci

Would swap around the early selections but the overall later selections I really like. Sweet and Cameron? Don't mind that at all. Cameron gives us even more versatility and Sweet a young ruckman to develop.

Oliver sure, came from the clouds but the others were either in elite programs from a young age or re third/fourth year in the AFL (Scicily).

The guys who will replace Stanton, Jobe, Myers, Hocking should be on the list or ready to go in 2018. At the moment they are all 2017 AFL listed players. Post planning yes, but getting rid of them pre season is just silly.

We have a very good nucleus of players, with the 2016 saga, gave an opportunities to younger guys to be exposed to the rigors of AFL at such a young age.

What will happen tomRedman? To Jackson Merret? What about Alex Morgan if he gets his body right? Yeah, let's add to this list with our three picks inside 30 but they don't HAVE to walk into the AFL.
Ok

Issaac Heaney
Callum Mills
Darcy Parish
Clayton Oliver
Jacob Hopper
James Sicily
All good 1st year players.
I wasn't necessarily talking about ready to go juniors what about these blokes that played in their 1st year, I wouldn't call them juniors.
Anthony Mcdondal Tipungwuti
Josh Smith
Sam Collins
Marcus Adams
Josh Wagner.

I'm suggesting some handy types such as
Bolton, Bell and Ryan.
They are ready to go after Stanton and Myers hang up the socks after the 2017 season.
And neither of these guys are juniors.
But I'm suggesting the juniors that we do grab make them a few, that way they are more than likely can develop and will play at the club in future.
Cheers

Myers is 27 and wont be retiring any time soon as Stanton yeah.

Myers is 27 and wont be retiring any time soon as Stanton yeah.
Plus Myers is an awesome player. As is Stanton. They will not be retiring next year.

One thing that worries me is that if we get Green and Richards in addition to all our existing stars, how are all these guys going to get AFL game time?

Plus is that every position will require a player in top form to get a game. Con is that players in the VFL may get jack of playing at that level and want to change clubs to get more game time.

I am assuming Woosha will be resting all older players (say 28yo+) one game in five.... or something along those lines. And rotate 3-4 young guys in every game until we get to the serious part of the season (half way through season) when it becomes best form wins you a game.

I do not mind Green but I am not sure where he fits in now. We seem to have a few quick goal kicking types now in Fantasia , Walla and Colyer.
Would have thought Richards would be the better pick. Those making a fuss over his comments are reading them the wrong way. He wants to play but he also wants to be in Melbourne so he is prepared for the worst case scenario if no one picks him.
Not sure about this - I'm not deadset against Richards by any means, but the whole scenario paints a picture of an individual neither particularly resiliant nor desperate to play.

I think it's a valid concern.

Plus Myers is an awesome player. As is Stanton. They will not be retiring next year.

One thing that worries me is that if we get Green and Richards in addition to all our existing stars, how are all these guys going to get AFL game time?

Plus is that every position will require a player in top form to get a game. Con is that players in the VFL may get jack of playing at that level and want to change clubs to get more game time.

I am assuming Woosha will be resting all older players (say 28yo+) one game in five.... or something along those lines. And rotate 3-4 young guys in every game until we get to the serious part of the season (half way through season) when it becomes best form wins you a game.

Why is this a thing to worry about? I'd welcome senior players in our VFL squad if it meant we've developed and rewarded our younger players with senior selection.

Look at Melbourne this year for example. Below is a list of senior players who played in the VFL.

Jack Grimes - 18 Games
Colin Garland - 18 Games
Jack Trengrove -18 Games
Lynden Dunn - 15 Games

Melbourne selected their best 22 on balance this year and they benefited from it big time.

Why is this a thing to worry about? I'd welcome senior players in our VFL squad if it meant we've developed and rewarded our younger players with senior selection.

Look at Melbourne this year for example. Below is a list of senior players who played in the VFL.

Jack Grimes - 18 Games
Colin Garland - 18 Games
Jack Trengrove -18 Games
Lynden Dunn - 15 Games

Melbourne selected their best 22 on balance this year and they benefited from it big time.

We've got Bird, Howlett, Hocking, Stanton, Brown and J. Merrett. They have plenty of experience and will be entrenched or rotating in and out of the VFL.

Edit: can add Dea and Kelly to the list. As it is there will be plenty of players who have played 100 or more games of AFL/VFL footy in our reserves.

Last edited:

Jack Grimes - 18 Games
Colin Garland - 18 Games
Jack Trengrove -18 Games
Lynden Dunn - 15 Games

Plus it helped the development of their young players in the VFL, and made them serious contenders.

One thing that worries me is that if we get Green and Richards in addition to all our existing stars, how are all these guys going to get AFL game time.

Yeah we don't want to get too many good players, do we. Best just to have enough good players to fit into best 22. That is why the top teams are so successful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worsfold said this morning that we had space for 2 DFAs. Green and Richards have toured the facilities. We will likely use pick 41 as a live selection...

I interpreted it as we will take one of Green or Richards in the PSD. If two spots were open one of them would have been signed today.

If that's the case Green. We have no need for Richards

Most definitely. Richards reminds me a bit of Ambrose. A solid toiler who can play forward or back who is going to give 100% all of the time but never set the world on fire.

Green on the other hand has the ability to be a very good crumbing forward. He just needs to commit 100% to the cause at whatever club he lands at. FWIW a lot of the stuff he cops is pretty unwarranted. From all accords he is a very decent individual who has been made a bit of a scapegoat for the Brisbane struggles..

I interpreted it as we will take one of Green or Richards in the PSD. If two spots were open one of them would have been signed today.
Not necessarily, could just be that the decision on both of them would've been made today with paperwork being lodged at some point after the DFA period re-opens on Thursday.

Also there is currently up to three additional spots free on the senior list (if we delist McKernan and want a list size of 40 players), otherwise we potentially have two spots available.

We went into this year with a list size of 39 players. So far we've had 9 outgoing players and we know we've got 4 players incoming to the senior list (Kelly, Dea, McDonald-Tipungwuti and McKenna), meaning that if McKernan is kept on we'll have 6 spots available.

Dodoro all but confirmed in his trade-wrap that we're likely to use 4 picks in the draft (Picks 1, 20, 29 & 41). This leaves up to 2 spots free on the senior list.

Last edited:
The few times I have seen Green he seemed a decent crumber. Someone mentioned Nahas but apart from his few games this year Green has been a very accurate kick for goal, close to 70%.

Not necessarily, could just be that the decision on both of them would've been made today with paperwork being lodged at some point after the DFA period re-opens on Thursday.

Also there is currently up to three additional spots free on the senior list (if we delist McKernan and want a list size of 40 players), otherwise we potentially have two spots available.

We went into this year with a list size of 39 players. So far we've had 9 outgoing players and we know we've got 4 players incoming to the senior list (Kelly, Dea, McDonald-Tipungwuti and McKenna), meaning that if McKernan is kept on we'll have 6 spots available.

Dodoro all but confirmed in his trade-wrap that we're likely to use 4 picks in the draft (Picks 1, 20, 29 & 41). This leaves up to 2 spots free on the senior list.
39 spots filled due to top ups. I think we only have 2 spots available if McKernan is delisted (using 4 picks in the draft).

I'd like to see walla on the ball with his pace, tackling and disposal. And Colyer on a wing.
I'm not opposed to green as it gives us depth and options.
If oppositions are going to focus on Fantasia, green gets of the leach. And vice versa. Cheap goals are goals and I'll take them
And if they look to lock out both, it's one less defender setting up to block Daniher or Stewart

Walla has a long way to go before he can play on the ball. He has the ability yes but he is not an endurance player.
Colyer will have to play wing/ half forward as will Fantasia.
Yes Green will give depth but at what cost ? I suspect what we get at 41 is a chance to be very good as well so it comes down to a choice, a small forward which could be matched in this draft or a tall KPP where the depth in this draft is thin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back