Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a massive fan of McKernan but I do think he should remain at the club for insurance, but could that be a rookie spot to free up a senior position?

Or perhaps one of Richards/Green are put on the rookie list. To be honest, neither of them have a whole lot of interest so there's a fair chance they would take that opportunity.

Could Morgan be rookied as he is the furthest away from playing senior football.

Richards said he didn't care If he got picked up, he just wanted to be back in Melbourne, that worries me from a commitment perspective. Will he push as hard, does he want to be the best, does he have that drive? Personally I think it would be a waste of time getting him when you could pick up a draftee with 10X more drive easily. Richards hasn't shown THAT much for me to ignore that seemingly non committal mindset.

Green shits me but he has more talent than Richards and does appear to want to make a career for himself. If he is willing to work on parts of his game then that is someone I can support coming to the club. But id want more from him, is the attitude right, did you leave Lions due to wanting money that you may not be worth. If that is what motivates him again I don't want him at the club.

Id much rather give those two list spots to two draftees who we have identified as filling a need, but also who are desperate to have a good career, who are hungry to succeed.
I see it as Richards realizes that there's life beyond football and as such has planned for it. I'm fairly sure that he would prefer to play AFL, otherwise he would have simply retired.

I think you'll be disappointed because I see them both in red and black next year.

I see it as Richards realizes that there's life beyond football and as such has planned for it. I'm fairly sure that he would prefer to play AFL, otherwise he would have simply retired.

I think you'll be disappointed because I see them both in red and black next year.

Yeah I wouldn't be horribly disappointed, if the club pick them up they will do so because they know more than me and are professionals. Not me passing judgement from behind a computer.

I just didn't like those comments. You can "want" to be an AFL player, hell we all want to be. But then there is the next step up of wanting it with every fibre of your being (this goes for anything). Those are the people who succeed, and that is who I want playing for this club.

So just to clarify.
Currently there are 35 players on the senior list and 2 on the rookie list (assuming Yestin Eades placed on rookie list).
So the maximum senior list size configuration is 40 players on the senior list with 4 category A rookies and 3 category B rookies.

If Xavier Richards and Josh Green are both signed that leaves 3 list spots (picks 1, 20, 29) for the national draft and 2 for the rookie draft (pick 1 and 19).

If Xavier Richards and Josh Green are both signed and Shaun McKernan is placed on the rookie list that leaves 4 list spots (picks 1, 20, 29, 41) for the national draft and 1 for the rookie draft (pick 1). If Shaun McKernan is delisted and not rookied then 2 rookie picks are used.

Haven't done one of these in a while so let me do one again:

Delisted/traded/retired: Hibberd, Ashby, Dempsey, Pears, Cooney, Edwards, Eades, Nyuon, Kommer, Hams, Gwilt, McKernan, Wallis

Trade in/DFA/Upgraded: Kelly, Dea, Stewart, Green, Richards, Walla, McKenna

Draft:

1. Andrew McGrath
20. Sam Powell-Pepper
29. Jordan Gallucci
41. Ben Long

Rookie Draft:

1. Darcy Cameron
19. Jordan Sweet
37. Yestin Eades
55. Ozgar Uysal (Cat B)
73. Hisham Kerbatieh (Cat B)
91. Ben Ronke (Cat B)

Best 22:

Baguley - Hartley - Hooker
Gleeson - Hurley - Goddard
Zaharakis - Heppell - Z Merrett
Colyer - Daniher - Fantasia
Walla - Stewart - Bellchambers
Leuenberger - Myers - Watson
Parish - Stanton - Langford - Hocking

Reserves:

Morgan - Brown - Dea
McGrath - Ambrose - Francis
J Merrett - Bird - McKenna
J Long - Richards - Redman
Eades - Cameron - Green
Sweet - Laverde - Howlett
Kelly - Kerbatieh - Ronke - B Long - Uysal - Powell-Pepper - Gallucci

Delisted/traded/retired: Hibberd, Ashby, Dempsey, Pears, Cooney, Edwards, Eades, Nyuon, Kommer, Hams, Gwilt, McKernan, Wallis

Draft:

1. Andrew McGrath
20. Sam Powell-Pepper
29. Jordan Gallucci
41. Ben Long

Rookie Draft:

1. Darcy Cameron
19. Jordan Sweet
37. Yestin Eades
55. Ozgar Uysal (Cat B)
91. Ben Ronke (Cat B)

Best 22:

Reserves:

Morgan - Brown - Dea
Eades - Cameron - Green

This would be perfect. Although I'd prefer Mccluggage at 1

Draft:

1. Andrew McGrath
20. Sam Powell-Pepper
29. Jordan Gallucci
41. Ben Long

Rookie Draft:

1. Darcy Cameron
19. Jordan Sweet
37. Yestin Eades
55. Ozgar Uysal (Cat B)
91. Ben Ronke (Cat B)

Best 22:

Reserves:

Morgan - Brown - Dea
Eades - Cameron - Green
Uysal would be a good pick up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly we can debate about who wants to play AFL football in our team in 2017 and beyond all day\night\weekends\ til the cows come home. The main question to any of the preselected is do you want to commit to us?
If not and you would rather support\play\live and get home sick for somewhere else then thanks for coming and hope you get on the park with some other team that we will flog.
When a player says he'll commit to anywhere it's a really good opportunity for both club and player. Its a waste in getting another Garlett and we should thank Hawthorn as an example of what not to do.

Garlett has just quit GCS. Won't be able to play for 2 years :eek:

Draft:

1. Andrew McGrath
20. Sam Powell-Pepper
29. Jordan Gallucci
41. Ben Long

Rookie Draft:

1. Darcy Cameron
19. Jordan Sweet
37. Yestin Eades
55. Ozgar Uysal (Cat B)
91. Ben Ronke (Cat B)

Best 22:

Reserves:

Morgan - Brown - Dea
Eades - Cameron - Green
Wouldn't mind picking up adam saad's younger brother Mo too as a cat B - if one of those 3 get selected in the national/rookie draft.

Like the look of the picks but the best 22 going to be very interesting next year, so hard to predict
I think if we draft mcgrath he goes straight in on HBF and i'd be pretty disappointed if francis and laverde don't establish themselves as best 22 during preseason. my prediction is we go mcclugg and line up something like this:
B: Baguley - Hartley - Francis
HB: Gleeson - Hurley - Kelly
C: Colyer - Watson - Goddard
HF: Tippa - Daniher - Langford
F: T.Bell - Hooker - Fantasia
R: Leuenberger - Zerrett - Heppell
INT: Myers - Zaha - Laverde - Parish

I'd prefer if we Green a rookie deal and really made him earn his spot. Not a fan of him at all.

If no one else was interested we couldd do that, but otherwise why would he sign with us?

Poholke's kicking in the TAC has been iffy, has given Battle some of the worst kicks you can give to a key forward but in general play he is usually decent
Does usually decent in TAC equate to good player in AFL? With our picks we need 2 ready to play AFL and 3 that will be very good in the VFL towards promoting to AFL when needed.
We don't need "could be a good player in the next 2/3 years".

Last edited:
Richards said he didn't care If he got picked up, he just wanted to be back in Melbourne, that worries me from a commitment perspective. Will he push as hard, does he want to be the best, does he have that drive? Personally I think it would be a waste of time getting him when you could pick up a draftee with 10X more drive easily. Richards hasn't shown THAT much for me to ignore that seemingly non committal mindset.

Green shits me but he has more talent than Richards and does appear to want to make a career for himself. If he is willing to work on parts of his game then that is someone I can support coming to the club. But id want more from him, is the attitude right, did you leave Lions due to wanting money that you may not be worth. If that is what motivates him again I don't want him at the club.

Id much rather give those two list spots to two draftees who we have identified as filling a need, but also who are desperate to have a good career, who are hungry to succeed.

Let's not overreact to what was most likely also a bit of bravado.

Doubt that Richards would want to admit that he is crapping his dacks in limbo, having walked out on a perfectly good contract offer (and essentially having been rejected as trade prospect).

It's one of those scenarios, I would not bother second guessing the club. If they are convinced that he is going to work to have a solid career so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back