Recruiting Trade/Draft Talk III - Zaharakis for a SIG BET?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does usually decent in TAC equate to good player in AFL? With our picks we need 2 ready to play AFL and 3 that will be very good in the VFL towards promoting to AFL when needed.
We don't need "could be a god player in the next 2/3 years".
2 ready made Jye Bolton, Hugh McClug
3 promo A. Heppell, S.Darcy and any choice of
Rioli, Battle, English if he's there, Richards/Green flip a coin for any of them. And no to Colledge.

Does usually decent in TAC equate to good player in AFL? With our picks we need 2 ready to play AFL and 3 that will be very good in the VFL towards promoting to AFL when needed.
We don't need "could be a god player in the next 2/3 years".
JUst dont play him forward of centre and he will be good. Poholke would be a later pick.

Richards said he didn't care If he got picked up, he just wanted to be back in Melbourne, that worries me from a commitment perspective. Will he push as hard, does he want to be the best, does he have that drive? Personally I think it would be a waste of time getting him when you could pick up a draftee with 10X more drive easily. Richards hasn't shown THAT much for me to ignore that seemingly non committal mindset.

Green shits me but he has more talent than Richards and does appear to want to make a career for himself. If he is willing to work on parts of his game then that is someone I can support coming to the club. But id want more from him, is the attitude right, did you leave Lions due to wanting money that you may not be worth. If that is what motivates him again I don't want him at the club.

Id much rather give those two list spots to two draftees who we have identified as filling a need, but also who are desperate to have a good career, who are hungry to succeed.
He said that as a coping and guarding mechanism, in case he didn't get picked up again.
If after rejecting an offer from Sydney, he doesn't get a gig, he would feel and look pretty silly. So he said that to secure himself.

Let's not overreact to what was most likely also a bit of bravado.

Doubt that Richards would want to admit that he is crapping his dacks in limbo, having walked out on a perfectly good contract offer (and essentially having been rejected as trade prospect).

It's one of those scenarios, I would not bother second guessing the club. If they are convinced that he is going to work to have a solid career so be it.
I find it a bit odd that you were upset at the club over the possibility of drafting Green, yet are prepared to back the club in over Richards.

We don't need "could be a good player in the next 2/3 years".
He has some nice attributes but is far from a guarantee at making it as an AFL player and is rightfully rated from 40 onwards. Wouldn't mind him at 41 but that's the highest I'd go. If you can't hit a target at TAC then your in trouble at AFL but it is something that can be improved just have to look at Jobe to see how much kicking can improve

I find it a bit odd that you were upset at the club over the possibility of drafting Green, yet are prepared to back the club in over Richards.

It's pretty simple, I don't rate Green at all. The way I see it, he could iron out the deficiencies in his game and still play VFL all year next year because he's behind a number of options we have and there is no realistic point within which I see him going past the options we have. There is nothing about the way he plasy the game that I see as being of any particular value and it's certainly not an improvement on what we already have.

Richards, on the other hand, if returned to defence and if he developed his game would be a perfect fit as a third tall defender. Our spine is a bit on the lumbering side and Richards potentially adds something to a best 22 that we don't have. Sydney played him through a finals series out of position as a forward. We are not talking about a guy who will need to come from the clouds to make it.

You might not agree with my assessments of the players but I don't see how they are inconsistent.

He has some nice attributes but is far from a guarantee at making it as an AFL player and is rightfully rated from 40 onwards. Wouldn't mind him at 41 but that's the highest I'd go. If you can't hit a target at TAC then your in trouble at AFL but it is something that can be improved just have to look at Jobe to see how much kicking can improve
Surely at our pick in the 60's?

You might not agree with my assessments of the players but I don't see how they are inconsistent.
Not passing judgement on anything you've said assessmentwise, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Just found it odd that you would pillory the list management team in one instance and back them in on another. I would have thought they're either useless or they're not that's all.

It's pretty simple, I don't rate Green at all. The way I see it, he could iron out the deficiencies in his game and still play VFL all year next year because he's behind a number of options we have and there is no realistic point within which I see him going past the options we have. There is nothing about the way he plasy the game that I see as being of any particular value and it's certainly not an improvement on what we already have.

Richards, on the other hand, if returned to defence and if he developed his game would be a perfect fit as a third tall defender. Our spine is a bit on the lumbering side and Richards potentially adds something to a best 22 that we don't have. Sydney played him through a finals series out of position as a forward. We are not talking about a guy who will need to come from the clouds to make it.

Makes sense but I personally disagree on Green, for mine any player that can kick over 30 goals in a season would be of interest to us (Josh kicked 33 in 2014). We've had one of the worst attacks over the past few season so adding an option to our forward pocket stocks isn't a bad thing.

Not passing judgement on anything you've said assessmentwise, everyone is entitled to an opinion. Just found it odd that you would pillory the list management team in one instance and back them in on another. I would have thought they're either useless or they're not that's all.

I'm happy enough to question a decision based on football ability/need because I can base it on what I see during games. In the context in which I posted that I would trust the club to make the right decision if it recruited Richards, it was a post that was primarily responding to criticism of Richards based on one comment, likely to be taken out of context, which he made about his career.

Watching football might not be the perfect basis from which to determine whether a player ought to be recruited, but it's much stronger than writing off a player based on one comment he made when there will be a whole interview/recruitment process which will be aimed at determining whether said player has the required level of desire to continue his football career.

As for the useless or not comment, there are things I think that the EFC football department has been doing very well, drafting in the last 3 years has been outstanding (and it has been for a clear majority of the time since 2007). Managing most of the backlash of the supplements saga has been really good in terms of maximizing returns for players who wanted to leave (and we handled ourselves with class throughout the entire period). The coaching performance of 2016 was A++++.

I feel like the investment in and basic attitude toward/quality of player development is also really good, at the top end of the AFL, but that integration of youth into the AFL team has been poor when it has not been forced by circumstances. Basically, the club has to show more faith in the players it has been developing and be much harsher critics of the experienced players.

Trading in of players in the last 3 years has been confused and largely pointless. Stewart is the first player since Goddard that I've seen any value in bringing to the club. The club has been caught between chasing some success for Jobe and co and trying to manage the loss of crucial losses of players (such as Ryder and Carlisle) which the side have previously been structured around for the long term.

There are still structural issues with the list (though Richards would mean that we could put a line through KPPs for the next 12 months) including a significant need for a third genuine ruck option and it's overall age given that the tried and true team of 2011-2014, if it still exists, has not achieved a thing. In my view it's time to let everything settle, bring more 18 year olds onto the list to ensure that we don't have a generation gap because of players lost recently and because we had 4 live picks in two drafts. The exceptions to the rule are filling structural holes in the list.

Makes sense but I personally disagree on Green, for mine any player that can kick over 30 goals in a season would be of interest to us (Josh kicked 33 in 2014). We've had one of the worst attacks over the past few season so adding an option to our forward pocket stocks isn't a bad thing.

Three years ago when we had about 2 natural forwards on the list, maybe.

Since then Daniher has become a man, Hooker a forward and Fantasia a gun. Laverde and Langford were drafted as natural forwards who we'd look to to develop as mids. Tippa has shown serious quality as a small forwards and, at VFL level, so has Redman.

I suspect that if left to their own devices Tippa, Laverde and Langford will be added to the mix as players of interest by the end of 2017.

Last edited:
I'm with Bruno re Green. He's just another R.Nahas type - very ordinary player who kicks the occasional cheap goal as the opposition pay no respect to them.

X.Richards is one of the fastest KPPs players in the AFL and certainly has ability. He's the kind of player that a club could really regret losing. I'd think EFC would regret trading his brother prematurely. Hopefully this one works the other way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do not mind Green but I am not sure where he fits in now. We seem to have a few quick goal kicking types now in Fantasia , Walla and Colyer.
Would have thought Richards would be the better pick. Those making a fuss over his comments are reading them the wrong way. He wants to play but he also wants to be in Melbourne so he is prepared for the worst case scenario if no one picks him.

We don't need "could be a good player in the next 2/3 years".

What is the obsession with ready to go juniors?

If you're lucky enough to grab one ready to go player (plays 14+) games, you have done extremely well.

The rebooted team we field in 2017 should be as good as any. A 70% Stanton is better than any junior wingman we are likely to draft, a 65% Myers is almost certainly better than any kid we'll draft.

If in year two &/or three they start pushing out senior guys then we have done well.

I do not mind Green but I am not sure where he fits in now. We seem to have a few quick goal kicking types now in Fantasia , Walla and Colyer.
Would have thought Richards would be the better pick. Those making a fuss over his comments are reading them the wrong way. He wants to play but he also wants to be in Melbourne so he is prepared for the worst case scenario if no one picks him.
I'd like to see walla on the ball with his pace, tackling and disposal. And Colyer on a wing.
I'm not opposed to green as it gives us depth and options.
If oppositions are going to focus on Fantasia, green gets of the leach. And vice versa. Cheap goals are goals and I'll take them
And if they look to lock out both, it's one less defender setting up to block Daniher or Stewart

If you're lucky enough to grab one ready to go player (plays 14+) games, you have done extremely well.

The rebooted team we field in 2017 should be as good as any. A 70% Stanton is better than any junior wingman we are likely to draft, a 65% Myers is almost certainly better than any kid we'll draft.

If in year two &/or three they start pushing out senior guys then we have done well.
This couldn't be more true! And in general anyway, the more "ready to go" guys have a much lower ceiling than the guys who have things to work on whether it be size or some skill deficiency or another.

I'd like to see walla on the ball with his pace, tackling and disposal. And Colyer on a wing.
I'm not opposed to green as it gives us depth and options.
If oppositions are going to focus on Fantasia, green gets of the leach. And vice versa. Cheap goals are goals and I'll take them
And if they look to lock out both, it's one less defender setting up to block Daniher or Stewart
Agree with this except I see Walla running off half back, which he did so well in the first half of this season.

Colyer needs to be on the ball/wing. Apart from Z. Merrett, I don't see much pace in our midfield.

How I see our fwd line...
Laverde Danniher Francis
Fantasia Stewart* Green

* could be Brown or TBell

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Issaac Heaney
Callum Mills
Darcy Parish
Clayton Oliver
Jacob Hopper
James Sicily
All good 1st year players.
I wasn't necessarily talking about ready to go juniors what about these blokes that played in their 1st year, I wouldn't call them juniors.
Anthony Mcdondal Tipungwuti
Josh Smith
Sam Collins
Marcus Adams
Josh Wagner.

I'm suggesting some handy types such as
Bolton, Bell and Ryan.
They are ready to go after Stanton and Myers hang up the socks after the 2017 season.
And neither of these guys are juniors.
But I'm suggesting the juniors that we do grab make them a few, that way they are more than likely can develop and will play at the club in future.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back