List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2017/2018 - Refreshed (cont in part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calm down petal in pure terms it's this:

Gain: Sam Murray, Tyler Brown (70) and 2018 3rd Rounder

Lose: 2018 2nd rounder

Not the end of the world

It's not that bad but in comparison to the Lobbe trade- a good but fringe player, we shouldn't have traded a future 2nd.

Could we have picked him up in the PSD??

We could be got pick 2 for Witts this year if we were dealing with the suns. What the hell have they done today. This could be looked back on as the day the day they died.
You're kidding right? We picked up a rookie for a pick in the 20's.

Same mob would have traded Witts off for a 4th round pick and still paid 75% of his salary.

I reckon the kid will be ok.

Clearly the Swans wanted to keep him, and we were pretty keen for him.

The issue though is there is no reason why we should have involved a 2nd rounder. He should have been the cheaper option over Adam Saad. In the end, we paid the same price. Obviously he'll be a lot cheaper in the salary cap, but it still cost us similar in relation to a trade.
Not sure where the idea the Swans wanted to keep him comes from. Had him for 2 seasons and no games no upgrade. Didn’t plan to offer him a spot on the main list for his 3rd season.

Sure they may have wanted to keep him as a rookie but that makes him a guy they see as still a chance to make it but odds are against it. If that wasn’t true he goes onto the main list.

Based on those ideas without knowing his game well more likely to be a VFL player or borderline depth. Fine to speculate on but not to give away a pick 20-25 for

But the difference is this was a rookie who was reportedly delisted (or about to be).
No evidence to back up valuing him high enough to give up a 2nd rounder.

We got screwed and had no need to do so. If we weren't Collingwood and didnt publicly say we were after him he would've been delisted and available as a DFA or in the PSD. But once Sydney knew we wanted him they played hard ball and we gave in rather than just hold out ground. I dont see how he was a necessary addition, and I dont see how he was worth a 2nd rounder.

And if we wanted a late pick for Brown I'm sure there wouldve been much cheaper ways to do it.

We got screwed and the club ****** up - no two ways about it.

How do you know he was about to be delisted? From all reports he was moved into the backline and was damaging? If he was going to be delisted, I’m sure we would have been talking a 4th pick. We see it all the time. Maybe the swans had other ideas? I don’t believe we would have paid the price if we knew we was to be delisted. We could have picked him up in the PSD at worst. I think the Swans may have been expecting to elevate him. Obviously only speculating, however, I think it makes some sense.

They also rate/d J.Blair, C.Gault, C.Mayne, J.Frost, etc.

You can believe it or not stats have proven it through games played.
If it's any consolation Corey Gault did just win Swan Districts b&f. Our recruiters do have an eye for solid second rate league team players

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
"Barely touching it in the NEAFL" is wrong.

18 games this year averaging 22 disposals per match off hbf. NEAFL team of the year. Yeah, the NEAFL is a lesser league but he was going more than alright.

A Bex and a lie down might help.

Except for those games he only got 14, 16, 18 disposals and then there were the games he masqueraded as a Butcher.

He had 4 games purple patch where his usage was good, broke the lines and accumulated possession.

He broke 20 disp 4 times being 35, 27, 25 and 21 disp games, clearly beefing up his ave across a short season where they have 5 byes out of 23 rounds, missed 3 games injury?? and he played 1 final.

I reckon the kid will be ok.

Clearly the Swans wanted to keep him, and we were pretty keen for him.

The issue though is there is no reason why we should have involved a 2nd rounder. He should have been the cheaper option over Adam Saad. In the end, we paid the same price. Obviously he'll be a lot cheaper in the salary cap, but it still cost us similar in relation to a trade.
i agree. We may have blinked. I’m sure we could have offered our 3rd round pick next year with nothing coming back. But we obviously wanted him. Maybe his speed is going to make him the player we need for the new game plan? I don’t know. Maybe I’m putting a little too much faith in the club. Apart from Grundy, we don’t actually have the best record with 2nd round draft picks.

It's not that bad but in comparison to the Lobbe trade- a good but fringe player, we shouldn't have traded a future 2nd.

Could we have picked him up in the PSD??

Yes, Swans could offer him a contract extension as a rookie or promise to upgrade him, however should he see his future at the pies, he and we could of held firm and likely took him in the PSD.

Murray is a Type we need in a Line Breaking Player but We just paid WAY OVERS for him
We gave up 600 points roughly (Future 2nd rounder middle of the pack with a couple of compo's, pick 31)

Got back 300 points roughly (3rd/4th rounders)

So Sam Murray cost us 300 points which is pick 48

Still overs

i agree. We may have blinked. I’m sure we could have offered our 3rd round pick next year with nothing coming back. But we obviously wanted him. Maybe his speed is going to make him the player we need for the new game plan? I don’t know. Maybe I’m putting a little too much faith in the club. Apart from Grundy, we don’t actually have the best record with 2nd round draft picks.
Grundy was a first round pick. Maynard would be a more appropriate example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where the idea the Swans wanted to keep him comes from. Had him for 2 seasons and no games no upgrade. Didn’t plan to offer him a spot on the main list for his 3rd season.

Sure they may have wanted to keep him as a rookie but that makes him a guy they see as still a chance to make it but odds are against it. If that wasn’t true he goes onto the main list.

Based on those ideas without knowing his game well more likely to be a VFL player or borderline depth. Fine to speculate on but not to give away a pick 20-25 for
Yeah too right. Had him Rookie'd for 2yrs and all of a sudden we come knocking and is a wanted player. Tell Hine he's dreaming!

"Barely touching it in the NEAFL" is wrong.

18 games this year averaging 22 disposals per match off hbf. NEAFL team of the year. Yeah, the NEAFL is a lesser league but he was going more than alright.

A Bex and a lie down might help.
sideswipe not sure you know much about th ekick to kick competition that is the neafl. GWS youngster regularly picking up 50 touches a game.
this kid has a pretty ordinary footy pedigree. to put it into perspective, we gave away marley William for pick 105, and replace him effectively with this kid and give away pick 37. madness

Fair enough a good HBF can be rolled gold and game changer.

Regardless of whether Murray comes out and plays well it was a heavier price then really needed to pay.

I suspect that you're right and that it was poor negotiation, but only Sydney really know that for sure.

At the end of the day, we obviously feel that his potential justifies that value of a draft pick and like with every draft choice we may have got it wrong, but we also may have got it right. He's hardly the first state leaguer to have been acquired with a reasonably early draft pick. We may have got ourselves a Blaine Brockhoerst, but we may have got ourselves an Isaac Smith. I'm happy to spend a draft choice on a 20 year old state leaguer and, without having done any research, suspect that the success rate with these kind of kids is probably higher than with 18 year olds. Carlton cop a lot of flack for drafting Brockhoerst, but I don't see why it was any worse a decision than the countless other unsuccessful uses of draft picks over the years.

sideswipe not sure you know much about th ekick to kick competition that is the neafl. GWS youngster regularly picking up 50 touches a game.
this kid has a pretty ordinary footy pedigree. to put it into perspective, we gave away marley William for pick 105, and replace him effectively with this kid and give away pick 37. madness

Are we winning the flag in 2018? big call.

That's the thing: late pick, speculative, 'moneyball' move? Fine.
2018 2nd rounder included? How?

I'm not sure what would be worse: Hine declines an on-going recruiting role with a club and this goes down as a kind of 'F___ you, Collingwood' goodbye, or he stays offering this kind of advice on player evaluation.

Harley was in a tough position and did the best he could with the lack of leverage. A first round pick would obviously have been better but we have to take whatever we can get

Nice troll haha

The spirit of Gubby still flows strong at the Holden centre...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back