List Mgmt. Trade & F/A - 2018/2019 - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting. Working on this trade may also be why we have held off finalising list changes. Need to drop a further player off the list now replacing one pick with two.

I think we've just moved 1 of our later picks up into points range. As I see it, the senior list spots will change as follows:

40 - Vacant ~ used for RL upgrade (Thomas)
39 - Fasolo ~ used for RL upgrade (Mihocek)
38 - Broomhead (demote to RL) ~ Used for Beams
37 - Blair ~ used for Roughy
36 - Smith ~ ND
35 - Kirby :'( ~ ND
34 - Murray ~ ND (potentially)

That was always likely to be the case wasn't it, I think it'll ultimately be 6-7 (depending upon how we can manage Murray).

I'm just talking main list and not rookie list, as that's the relevant list for taking a pick into the draft. How do you figure 6-7? I see 5 spaces as the absolute maximum.

At this stage, going by announcements, we're looking at Faz and Broomhead off and Beams and Roughhead on already.

Possible/probable delistings off the primary list: Blair, Kirby, Murray, McLarty, Smith. I can't see anyone else being cut. Goldsack is the only other non-contracted player who could be in danger, but his re-signing has been spoken of as a formality. We don't have space on the rookie list to move contracted guys like Crocker and Wills. Just can't see us going beyond 5 and even that will annoy some as that 5 spots will include McLarty being cut.

I think we've just moved 1 of our later picks up into points range. As I see it, the senior list spots will change as follows:

40 - Vacant ~ used for RL upgrade (Thomas)
39 - Fasolo ~ used for RL upgrade (Mihocek)
38 - Broomhead (demote to RL) ~ Used for Beams
37 - Blair ~ used for Roughy
36 - Smith ~ ND
35 - Kirby :'( ~ ND
34 - Murray ~ ND (potentially)

Agree. Moving that 5th pick up into points range is a great move. We may not use 93 now.

It also gives us more flexibility to perhaps take a DFA, a kid unexpectedly left on the board or a Hine special at that last pick (93) if we find ourselves with an extra list spot left after matching bids.

I'm just talking main list and not rookie list, as that's the relevant list for taking a pick into the draft. How do you figure 6-7? I see 5 spaces as the absolute maximum.

At this stage, going by announcements, we're looking at Faz and Broomhead off and Beams and Roughhead on already.

Possible/probable delistings off the primary list: Blair, Kirby, Murray, McLarty, Smith. I can't see anyone else being cut. Goldsack is the only other non-contracted player who could be in danger, but his re-signing has been spoken of as a formality. We don't have space on the rookie list to move contracted guys like Crocker and Wills. Just can't see us going beyond 5 and even that will annoy some as that 5 spots will include McLarty being cut.

Yeah, 5 picks to the draft (3x picks, 2x rookie elevations), 7 vacancies with 2x for Beams & Roughy. Just misinterpreted what you were saying.

Yeah, 5 picks to the draft (3x picks, 2x rookie elevations), 7 vacancies with 2x for Beams & Roughy. Just misinterpreted what you were saying.

Problem is that I think that Thomas (if he hasn't already been upgraded) will have to be upgraded before the draft, as his rookie time is done and you can't upgrade rookies between the ND and the RD. Which in my opinion would mean that McLarty is gone.

This was your OP. You were being smartarsed and labeling people who were critical of him as stupid. As I responded, criticism was merited and how he played in the past won't be changed by how he plays in 2019.

The AA is decided across a season, not a small cluster of games. Anyone who offers that across a full season might well be in contention. He was a long way shy of that. Beams did that and had a much better season than Phillips, made the squad, couldn't make the final 22. I thought at the time it was premature speculation, that's how it turned out.

He's just had his 3rd full season, and that's after playing an extra year of TAC as a mature ager. The "young" aspect is starting to wear a little thin. It's what you expect of 18 & 19 year old mid types, not 22 year old elite runners.

Either way, as listed above, your OP didn't even mention AA. It was my response that those suggesting AA mid season are the more likely to be feeling a tad silly rather than those who were critical or have been critical, because IMHO the criticism was warranted.
It wasn’t a small cluster of games, 10 games he had 20+ touches and 1+ goals.
5 games he had a goal and 30 touches

Jury is still out. I'm not sure his issues (poor disposal, poor defensively 1v1, panic under pressure, worse sidestep/baulk to break a tackle in the league) can be fixed. When he's playing like he was during that purple patch with up around the 30 possessions or more and massive meters gained you can live with it, when he's not.......

It seemed he was being asked to play a slightly different more accountable role later in the season and during finals, but it's just not his thing.
Some of these blokes try to bite off a bit more than they can chew and take on the world early days then start to correct these elements once they mature. I think he’s still learning his limitations at the elite level.

Adams is a good example.. tried to go way too gung ho and it wrecked his disposal.. and though he’s still not a great user it’s improved considerably.

Tommy’s given us a glimpse of his best meaning he is capable. It’s up to him now.

Some of these blokes try to bite off a bit more than they can chew and take on the world early days then start to correct these elements once they mature. I think he’s still learning his limitations at the elite level.

Adams is a good example.. tried to go way too gung ho and it wrecked his disposal.. and though he’s still not a great user it’s improved considerably.

Tommy’s given us a glimpse of his best meaning he is capable. It’s up to him now.

Agree with this. Certainly not a star, but another example is 2018 Chris Mayne... seems to know his parameters pretty well and his chief value to the team, and is a very conservative ball user for it.

Phillips will improve his execution once he is more settled in his ability and value to the team. To this end young Maynard seemed to know his role better in 2018, and his disposal improved for it

Now suspect we won't officially delist too the end of Oct deadline. More swaps of picks to come by the pies e.g.

Pies - pick 44 (362 points)
Saints - 46 & 67 (400 points)

Unless more of these deals will mean we have to delist more senior players?

45 more points in the bank.

Equivalent of pick 70 for nothing.

Just when you thought we were done!

This is a strange one - given the anticipated delistings were one vacsnt senior list sport short of what would be needed to activate those five points-carrying picks.

If we do somehow work the situation so that we either free up another senior list spot (perhaps temporarily) or condense those five picks into four via another trade then we will have 1260 points available, so if bids on Quaynor and Kelly don't come until say picks 19 and 30 respectively, then we won't have any deficit.

As an aside does anybody know if the restriction on bid matching when a tewm is carrying a points deficit from previous bid matches applies to making bids or matching bids?

It's also a little unclear as to whether the restriction applies to the current draft or the next draft, but I'm guessing it would be the current draft as that would make more sense.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is that I think that Thomas (if he hasn't already been upgraded) will have to be upgraded before the draft, as his rookie time is done and you can't upgrade rookies between the ND and the RD. Which in my opinion would mean that McLarty is gone.

I thought Thomas was promoted last year?

(starting to think McLarty is gone anyway....otherwise cant see the need for Roughead)

Here are some i can overrated by Pies Fans:

• Phillips
  • Thomas
  • Langdon
  • Mayne
  • Greenwood

Agree with Phillips. Should’ve used him as part of Beams deal. I just don’t see where his elite traits are apart from endurance.

Langdon had an outstanding season and deserves to be rated. Once we get some KPD around Langdon Maynard crisp and Howe. Those four will flourish even more.

Other three you listed are battlers. Role players.

Our bottom five of the GF side hopefully get replaced next year.

Goldsack , Greenwood, Aish , Phillips and Thomas.

In ideal world if no injuries.

Moore , Dunn/Roughead , Quaynor, Elliott, Beams

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

So senior list outs an ins (all guesswork and assuming Thomas is already a senior list player and doesnt need promotion)

Outs:
Fasolo Blair Smith Kirby McLarty Broomhead Murray

Ins
Beams Roughead Mihocek Quaynor Kelly Atu Thomas

What do the experts think of that? No live picks? Is that possible?

(Murray might stay until B sample comes through and get replaced in 2019 midseason rookie draft if needs be)

(edited because it seems Thomas IS a rookie and needs to be promoted too)

Last edited:
I thought Thomas was promoted last year?

(starting to think McLarty is gone anyway....otherwise cant see the need for Roughead)
Thomas was elevated mid-year last year, but reverted to the Rookie List at the end of the year (as always happens). He spent this year on the Rookie List. That makes three years in a row on the R/L so he should be officially upgraded this year.

Thomas was elevated mid-year last year, but reverted to the Rookie List at the end of the year (as always happens). He spent this year on the Rookie List. That makes three years in a row on the R/L so he should be officially upgraded this year.

I know how it works but I thought he got a permanent promotion in the off season.

Now suspect we won't officially delist too the end of Oct deadline. More swaps of picks to come by the pies e.g.

Pies - pick 44 (362 points)
Saints - 46 & 67 (400 points)

Unless more of these deals will mean we have to delist more senior players?

Yep we'd have to delist another player beyond the expected quartet of Kirby, Blair Smith and Broomhead, in order to be able to use a sixth points-carrying pick.

I know how it works but I thought he got a permanent promotion in the off season.
He was named as being on the Rookie List in the (2018) AFL Record Season Guide, Football Record and (Champion Data's) AFL Prospectus. He wasn't named in the Season Guide as one of the players officially upgraded at the end of 2017 - only Mason Cox was for Collingwood.

We carried 39 list spots in the off season, then promoted Thomas to the main list just before the commencement of the season proper.
Not sure if he still has to be promoted officially at the draft, or it was done at the start of the season, seems the opinion on it is different depending on who one communicate with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back