Recruiting Trade & Free Agency IV - hypotheticals etc. (Continued in Part V)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
See above^

watch about 1 minute and 1 40. Secondary marking target 20 out the angle and then last man in the counter attack. His starting position may have been higher but he was trying to support deep all game.

Did you not see the map? ^

The argument is:

"Especially since he was playing deep forward for both of them."

"Er well he wasn't, for either of them."

20 metres out marking contest.

He was last man in the chain for the second.

Heat map is irrelevent.

Now enough of this semantic gibberish. He hasn't shown anything as an inside midfielder. Would I take him yes, but he is no certainty. Much like most inside midfielders taken outside of the first two per draft.

The arguement is:

"Especially since he was playing deep forward for both of them."

"Er well he wasn't, for either of them."

20 metres out marking contest.

He was last man in the chain for the second.

Heat map is irrelevent.

No it isn't! It just shows you at no stage was he playing as a deep forward like you suggested, he just kicked one goal from near the top of the goal square So did Parish but you wouldn't say he played deep forward at any stage..

Any stage of the dogs game...

Very clearly in that play where he kicked his first goal, was third in line to goals providing a marking option. We have an impasse of what qualifies as playing deep forward. Who cares, it's irrelevent, half forward or deep forward, neither are demonstrating Webb's ability to play as an inside mid.

If James Friggin Scicerly can be turned into the best intercept marker in the AFL for the previous 6 weeks (he took the title off Marty Gleeson) than anyone can play in the backline!!
Fix our midfield and it will fix our defence.
If it is only coming in 45-50 times a match rather than the 55-60 times it comes in when we lose then our backline will look a heap better.
Priority should be quality midfielders.
As I said yesterday, go for Kelly first, Hopper as the backup plan.
3 years from now the midfield of Kelly, Zerrett, Hep D, Parish and McGrath will be awesome!

No it isn't! It just shows you at no stage was he playing as a deep forward like you suggested, he just kicked one goal from near the top of the goal square So did Parish but you wouldn't say he played deep forward at any stage..

That is the heat map of someone playing fairly deep forward.

If James Friggin Scicerly can be turned into the best intercept marker in the AFL for the previous 6 weeks (he took the title off Marty Gleeson) than anyone can play in the backline!!
Fix our midfield and it will fix our defence.
If it is only coming in 45-50 times a match rather than the 55-60 times it comes in when we lose then our backline will look a heap better.
Priority should be quality midfielders.
As I said yesterday, go for Kelly first, Hopper as the backup plan.
3 years from now the midfield of Kelly, Zerrett, Hep D, Parish and McGrath will be awesome!
Kelly isn't a really the contested/clearance beast we need though. He can certainly play inside but he's far more effective as a receive and distribute type, for this reason Hopper should be the priority.

Very clearly in that play where he kicked his first goal, was third in line to goals providing a marking option. We have an impasse of what qualifies as playing deep forward. Who cares, it's irrelevent, half forward or deep forward, neither are demonstrating Webb's ability to play as an inside mid.

Irrelevant now because you're wrong.. you brought it up mate not my fault you didn't really know where he played. He still had 5 contested from a flank and is leading the vfl in clearances as of June 22nd with 51.. so his inside credentials are solid. He's clearly ahead of L&L, not even sure how that can be debated. He's 2 years younger and he's shown more.

So far you've brought nothing but your opinion and a video. You said Dan Hannebery isn't an inside mid, and good inside mids selected outside the top 5 are outliers.. (J. Kennedy, Parker, Selwood, Rockliff, Fyfe, Tom Mitchell) almost all the good ones. You're 0 from 3.

A lot of this discussion has been focussed on pretty pointless things that you can't admit you got wrong? Say something interesting soon please

That is the heat map of someone playing fairly deep forward.

b945f32ee49f76c9efb0b218e7b225d1.jpg

Did ya happen to catch the red patch?

Last edited:
I just want to point out that it is still possible to win contested possessions when you're not playing in the midfield...

As small forwards Green, Fantasia and Walla have all averaged over 5 contested possessions a game for us this year. Also generally speaking just because you play a particular position in the VFL doesn't necessarily mean you'll play that position at AFL level. For example Leroy Jetta used to play in the midfield at VFL level but at AFL level he played as a deep small forward.

Kelly isn't a really the contested/clearance beast we need though. He can certainly play inside but he's far more effective as a receive and distribute type, for this reason Hopper should be the priority.
I would hate to see them both playing for those Carlton scumbags (apparently they are right into both of them). They would start to look like a handy side with them in the midfield with Cripps and SPS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The amounts of stupid ****ing stats used in this thread show what I hate about footy now a days, where's the old school people thah just watch a player and decided how good he is without having to look into every stupid ass stat.

I would hate to see them both playing for those Carlton scumbags (apparently they are right into both of them). They would start to look like a handy side with them in the midfield with Cripps and SPS.
Yeah I don't want the Blues to get either of them. From what I can tell if Kelly left the Giants it would be for a massive paycheck (which would put North in front), he'd get less at GWS no doubt but they're also closer to a flag and pretty sure they see him as the captain in waiting.

The three I'd want us to target most are Hopper, Kennedy and Smith this year. Then next year I hope we make a big play for Tom Lynch (the GCS one), though I'd hope we're already getting in his ear. Can you imagine him and Joey in the same forwardline? Close to unbeatable imo.

Irrelevant now because you're wrong.. you brought it up mate not my fault you didn't really know where he played. He still had 5 contested and leading the vfl in clearances as of June 22nd with 51.

A lot of this discussion has been focussed on pretty pointless things that you can't admit you got wrong? Say something interesting soon please

b945f32ee49f76c9efb0b218e7b225d1.jpg

Did ya happen to catch the red patch?

I said it was irrelevent because it is to the argument of an inside midfielder whether he played half forward or deep forward. How many more pages of disagreement do you want? If you want to argue that one metre outside the goal square isn't deep forward fine, I can't argue with stupid.

Also the argument wasn't where he played most of the game it's where he kicked his goals from. Which was evident to anyone who watched the actual footage not some heat map that showed where he was when he wasn't kicking his goals.

Last edited:
The amounts of stupid ******* stats used in this thread show what I hate about footy now a days, where's the old school people thah just watch a player and decided how good he is without having to look into every stupid ass stat.

They are the ones screaming "man up" and "just kick the bloody thing" at the game because it passed them by a decade ago.

They are the ones screaming "man up" and "just kick the bloody thing" at the game because it passed them by a decade ago.
Yeah kick it straight up the guts!
Go for the goals!
Defend defend man the f up!
We aren't the 1s red faced when we turn the ball over from a pathetic handball on our backline. No piddly little piss ant kicks and handballs.
Hence kick the snot out of it!

Yeah kick it straight up the guts!
Go for the goals!
Defend defend man the f up!
We aren't the 1s red faced when we turn the ball over from a pathetic handball on our backline. No piddly little piss ant kicks and handballs.
Hence kick the snot out of it!
Sounds like the David Myers fan club:)

Listen to me very carefully.
Do. Not. Get. Sucked. In.
It's (still) a honeytrap.

Weirdly enough, I'd have him in our side (based on current form) ahead of a couple of our players in our best 22 :$

A goal a game player, who can rotate through the midfield, and play a run with role if required.

That's how he operates. And then he'll lose you a final.

Or kick 2 from 50 in the last the quarter, thrown in with a couple of double cobras, and a slo mo close up of his face with those massive chompers and Hibbard jumping on his back :D

It's a Choose Your Own Adventure with Jake Melksham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back