List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Baker has chosen a great time to be having a career best season. Career high disposals, goals, clearances, tackles…. the 2 x seasons prior to this he has been a 19 x disposals, half a goal a game player. Eg. Shiel, Ward, Simpkin, Jarrod Berry.

I don’t want to lose him, but rest assured we will get massive overs in a trade for a 173cm ‘utility’. He’s 27yo start of 2025, so it’ll hurt the short term on-field but can really help get the absolute elite talent we need.

Based on his current year and the contract offer he’ll get, I think we can get a top-10 pick plus a little extra. Freo will see him as a crucial piece of a Premiership puzzle and will pay overs.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think the Leadership and off field capability is what I really don't want to lose from Baker. Captaincy should be on the table because he plays that style that you would just want to get behind.

Can’t possibly see Eagles trading high draft capital and offering a big contract for a 27yo 173cm utility. Would be crazy list management move for Eagles. Eagles need to hit the draft or bring in nobody over 23yo… anything else would be crazy given they need elite youth.

A big offer for Baker next year might make better sense for the Eagles, when he is a free agent. They will need these type of players for leadership and mature bodies on the field while the young stars develop.

Gunna be the quickest list rebuild in history.
1st round Richmond Top 4 pick
1st round Gold Coast pick for Rioli
1st round Freo pick for Baker
1st round Brisbane pick swaps for Ashcroft
1st round Carlton pick swaps for Camporeale kid

🤣
And another 3 picks in first round
For Graham,,shorty and martin

If we are going down the rebuild path, then we probably do need to start looking at which of our 27+ players could have currency and be less vital to the rebuild. Some players like Taranto/Hopper/Nank are important to keep as they protect kids from getting completely smashed in the middle every week (see last week). Lynch is important for structure and takes the heat off young key forwards and Vlastuin is an experienced head to help educate down back.

The most expendable players are the ones with smaller bodies and/or who play outside roles.

Dan Rioli will be 28 not long after next season starts. Dimma is clearly looking for some drive off half back at the Suns, looking at recent moves trying first Sexton and now Flanders and Lukosius back there. GC would give us their first pick (currently pick 8) for Rioli for sure.

Likewise, Liam Baker is 27 next year and should have 3x first round picks available. Currently their first pick is 6, but that's tied to the Pies, so I can't see it remaining in the top 10.

Jayden Short will be 29 before next season. Probably doesn't have the value of the other two, but would still be a decent pick up for a number of clubs in contention. Probably stays on if one or both of the other two go so we don't lose too much leadership.

Jack Graham is also 27 next year, and probably worth letting go as a free agent provided we can get second round compo for him.

Grimes and Prestia are also clearly going to retire, and I think Dusty probably either joins them or heads north for a new challenge.

This is who would be left in term of experience 50+ games, should we lose those players:

Lynch
Broad
Vlastuin
Nankervis
Short
Hopper
Taranto
Graham(?)
Bolton
Balta
Ross

That's not a heap of quality and a few injuries would quickly see us fielding a team like Sunday again. That is why I believe we need to find a balance between getting picks and ready made replacements.
Yeah but not all of the older guys will leave this year. I reckon Rioli stays for sure, Pickett probably gets another year, as does Prestia, Dusty 50/50. Plus by the end of next season Koschitzke, Mansell, MRJ and Miller will likely have played 50 games too. The players just on that list is the core of a very good side still.

I think we'll pick up a couple of experienced, cheapish recruits come trade/free agency this year as well.

Our youth is probably the worst in the league. We need early picks badly IMO.

Can’t possibly see Eagles trading high draft capital and offering a big contract for a 27yo 173cm utility. Would be crazy list management move for Eagles. Eagles need to hit the draft or bring in nobody over 23yo… anything else would be crazy given they need elite youth.

I absolutely agree with you. Free agency ONLY for 26yo and above, otherwise 23yo or younger for us. Some are taking the view that we just need talent regardless of age but I think that list strategy ignoring age profile would be absolutely nuts.

TBH looking at your list do I see a flag in the next 5 years? No. My strategy would be trading out valuable 25-28yos for picks and topping those up with FA talent. Baker, Rioli, Short, Bolton would give you an absolute motza to draft or trade in young players 20-23yo for the next flag. Still have your Nanks, Vlastins, Grimes, Dusty? Etc. to set standards as they develop but there’s plenty of ways to build a list.

Last edited:
Baker has chosen a great time to be having a career best season. Career high disposals, goals, clearances, tackles…. the 2 x seasons prior to this he has been a 19 x disposals, half a goal a game player. Eg. Shiel, Ward, Simpkin, Jarrod Berry.

I don’t want to lose him, but rest assured we will get massive overs in a trade for a 173cm ‘utility’. He’s 27yo start of 2025, so it’ll hurt the short term on-field but can really help get the absolute elite talent we need.

Based on his current year and the contract offer he’ll get, I think we can get a top-10 pick plus a little extra. Freo will see him as a crucial piece of a Premiership puzzle and will pay overs.

Top 10 pick plus more for Bakes? You’re dreaming Mate. Be lucky to get a mid to late first rounder for him. And I love him as a player

Ok folks have a bit of info albeit a week old now and things may have changed for obvious reasons.

I hear strong word Judson Clarke looking to exit RFC. It is mooted that he is not happy with S&C and both SA clubs were making offers but no suggestion of any other Vic clubs.

The second ACL now looms to be deal breaking so watch this space i say now that he stays a risk is too high.

Ok folks have a bit of info albeit a week old now and things may have changed for obvious reasons.

I hear strong word Judson Clarke looking to exit RFC. It is mooted that he is not happy with S&C and both SA clubs were making offers but no suggestion of any other Vic clubs.

The second ACL now looms to be deal breaking so watch this space i say now that he stays a risk is too high.
I highly doubt it. He's hardly had an injury until recent times. And he's contracted for another year....and the S&C dept will be cleaned out shortly you'd think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is who would be left in term of experience 50+ games, should we lose those players:

Lynch
Broad
Vlastuin
Nankervis
Short
Hopper
Taranto
Graham(?)
Bolton
Balta
Ross

That's not a heap of quality and a few injuries would quickly see us fielding a team like Sunday again. That is why I believe we need to find a balance between getting picks and ready made replacements.

Yeah but not all of the older guys will leave this year. I reckon Rioli stays for sure, Pickett probably gets another year, as does Prestia, Dusty 50/50. Plus by the end of next season Koschitzke, Mansell, MRJ and Miller will likely have played 50 games too. The players just on that list is the core of a very good side still.

I think we'll pick up a couple of experienced, cheapish recruits come trade/free agency this year as well.

Our youth is probably the worst in the league. We need early picks badly IMO.

FB: Brown, Gibcus, Broad
HB: Short, Vlastuin, Rioli
CEN: Ralphsmith, Hopper, Ross
FOL: Nankervis, Taranto, Bolton
HF: Rioli Jnr, Balta, Campbell
FF: Mansell, Lynch, Lefau

BEN: Tresize, Mcauliffe, Banks, Coulthard, Ryan

The bolded players have all played over 100 games, 9 of the starting 18. Balta will be close to 100 and Ross will have played mid 70's or low 80's. In the Pre-season Prestia did a podcast about wanting to play long like athletes have done in other codes, and Martin could very well go on another year as well, so that'd be two more experienced players that could be added to the mix

That is still a strong core of senior guys to provide structure, stability, and competitiveness to create a healthy environment for bringing in young players. It does include Rioli who is unlikely to leave but if he does there is still enough senior experience to cover

Last edited:

Reckon Baker might’ve got an offer too good to refuse,(5-6 years, $1million a year) I’m becoming more and more resigned to the fact this may be his final year at the tigers

I e already accounted for his departure in my ramblings , that’s why I maintain we ll have enough pics without scorching the earth losing Rioli and Bolton ,
Been thinking about it and if the likes of Baker & Daniel want to leave then I'd be asking for proven players rather than just draft picks in return.

If Daniel wanted to go to the Suns then I'd be telling them that it's going to take someone like

Anderson
Rowell
Flanders
King
Humphrey

Baker is a bit harder being out of contract, but if he asked to go to Fremantle then I'd be asking about the following

Hayden Young
Josh Treacy

By asking for those types players it may well force them to pay more in terms of draft picks as a fall back position as theyd be reluctant to lose their talented players as they build for a shot at a flag.
I’d rather use our handful of pics to secure likes of Will Phillips or Josh fahey from gws , freo prob would throw in treacy but would soften the deal , I’d want freo first or their lowest r1 they got

If Baker nominates us you’ll get a fair deal, we’ve always been (overly) reasonable at the trade table. We could have walked Brockman to PSD last year but instead gave pick 44 and 63 without haggling. More than fair for a guy who was OOC, desperate to play for West Coast for club and family reasons who once Liam Ryan is fit is not a best 22 player.

We just don’t have the capital to pay you so if he leaves it’s 95% going to be Freo. Last year they too were reasonable at the trade treble. Only Essendon and Geelong and truly *wits with trade. You’ll ask for their best 1R, they’ll offer their last 1R then you’ll probably settle on their middle one, shake hands and get on with the rest of the trade period.
Yes we will also be fair and eagles / Tigers have a good relationship
when Harley decides to come back home and wear Dusty's number #4

Or maybe he might want to stay in #9 and Trent can present him the jumper

Might add Tigers to my list of clubs not to trade with… Harley’s loving it over here, he won’t leave in 3 years you can take that to the bank. Baker will go to Freo. I actually think you guys have landed in the right spot to go hard at the draft before Tassie come in. If we had any players of value 26-29 I’d trade them and go to the draft, but we don’t.
LOL what do you expect them to say

even JHF was loving it here

Give him 3 years and he will miss home ;)

Gunna be the quickest list rebuild in history.
1st round Richmond Top 4 pick
1st round Gold Coast pick for Rioli
1st round Freo pick for Baker
1st round Brisbane pick swaps for Ashcroft
1st round Carlton pick swaps for Camporeale kid

🤣
Careful I remember a time once had 5 pics in top 20 , only 1 played > 20 games ,,, that was when beck was in charge tho , ,,, in those days giving him a bunch of draft pics was like standing on a burning deck with a pocket full of crackers

Careful I remember a time once had 5 pics in top 20 , only 1 played > 20 games ,,, that was when beck was in charge tho , ,,, in those days giving him a bunch of draft pics was like standing on a burning deck with a pocket full of crackers
True but see my post just above this one lmao

If the club was even smarter they could even trade one or two of those 1st rounders for next year so we have 3 first rounders over the next 2 drafts. 😍

No-one other than RFC faithful has heard of him.

True but see my post just above this one lmao

If the club was even smarter they could even trade one or two of those 1st rounders for next year so we have 3 first rounders over the next 2 drafts. 😍
I’m pretty sure we would do that unless compelling reason to do it all this year and yea we’re much better resourced than 20y ago

Remove this Banner Ad

Back