List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree.Bolton is the cream on top type of player.We're not going to be in that position for him to be that for another 3yrs at least.
What a flawed argument.Pick 3 could be Will Phillips.If thats the case lets give up pick 2 for 5 3rd rnd picks so at least we can say well they're only 3rd rnd picks and the chances of them making it was slim anyway.

No… you’re saying trade Bolton, and let’s say we get pick-5. I’m saying pick 5 could be Ward, Grainger Barass, Phillips or Dow. And of course it could be Bont or LDU. But what are the chances pick-5 is a better player than Shai Bolton? We have a player who has been AA and can average 20 touches and 1.5 goals a game … you do NOT trade those players out of your team … you are trying to get them IN when they are 25yo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No… you’re saying trade Bolton, and let’s say we get pick-5. I’m saying pick 5 could be Ward, Grainger Barass, Phillips or Dow. And of course it could be Bont or LDU. But what are the chances pick-5 is a better player than Shai Bolton? We have a player who has been AA and can average 20 touches and 1.5 goals a game … you do NOT trade those players out of your team … you are trying to get them IN when they are 25yo.

Bolton is a great player in a great team, in an average team with some attention he goes to water a bit and looks disinterested.

You can be 20m out right in front, and miss because you snap around your body in a good side because the rest pick up the slack. You will be called "Mercurial"

Yesterday he reminded me of your stock standard downhill skiier.

Shai in our 17-22 side is a completely different kettle of fish compared too 24 onwards.
We'd be mad not too listen too offers inarticulately from Freo.

RFC could live without any player who wants to leave. If Bolton wants out & Freo want him then a deal will be done.
It will accelerate our rebuild.

Be interesting to see if we want to get heavily into this draft trading out other players under contract too. Like Short.

Out of the 22 yesterday.
Rioli
Baker
Graham
Short
Bolton
Dusty looks barely capable
I'd prefer too keep both Rioli & Bakes.Least they have a go unlike Bolton.Irononically if only one stay then I seem him as our next captain.Hoping It's Dan.A Rioli as captain of our club is as symbolic as it could get not just the name but our strong indigenous ties would on get stronger.
We don't want too end up like North an cull the senior group too deep.

Bolton is a trade only in the case of "an offer you can't refuse" player. In the current scenario, that would need to involve Harley Reid or some very very inviting mixture of lesser players and big draft picks.

Even so, go back to the St Kilda game this year to remind yourself what a freak he is.
That’s the problem. You see that and you forget everything else. He’s so good.

But three or four times this year he leaves you shaking your head. He should be taking the mantle from Dusty but he isn’t.

That’s the problem. You see that and you forget everything else. He’s so good.

But three or four times this year he leaves you shaking your head. He should be taking the mantle from Dusty but he isn’t.

I get that, but I think his worth shouldn’t be measured by whether he reaches the astronomical heights of a legend and if he doesn’t he should be traded as a result

Tell Eagles fans that

secret smell GIF
Eagles have 23 & Dogs 1st pick is 28 would you take that for Baker ??
Unless, they swap them to GC for pick 10, I don't see a deal.

But what are the chances pick-5 is a better player than Shai Bolton? We have a player who has been AA and can average 20 touches and 1.5 goals a game … you do NOT trade those players out of your team … you are trying to get them IN when they are 25yo.

Highly likely we get a much better player if the last 6 weeks are an indication of his form going forward. Bolton has been horrible, he has been weak in the guts brushed aside too easily, he can't hit the side of a barn with his kicking it is as bad as Taranto and Dow. He also gets every second kick smothered and he is deadset lazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Highly likely we get a much better player if the last 6 weeks are an indication of his form going forward. Bolton has been horrible, he has been weak in the guts brushed aside too easily, he can't hit the side of a barn with his kicking it is as bad as Taranto and Dow. He also gets every second kick smothered and he is deadset lazy.
the smothered kicks is doing my head in. He used to baulk and do a side step or something to buy himself time and space, atm hes just booting it regardless of whether theres a player laying across his foot or not.

The knocks mounting on Shai are the same as the knocks on Short.

I am telling you guys, they are not the problem, its the fact they have noone to kick to.
Short is expendable because he is too old to be around when we next contend and plays a position we actually have kids coming through in. However, I don't think he'd have enough trade currency to be worth offloading.

We get unders. But it might work.

Bolton is easily worth pick 3. But we also get to rebuild a potentially elite midfield in one hit. You lose a lot you might win a lot.

it's all about winning premierships. And to win them we need an elite midfield. Bolton's age means that we need to be in the zone within about 5 years. So it's a trade off of time to be a contender versus likelihood. Right now we suck. But without injuries we'd be a good team. However, our reliance on Lynch is overwhelming. We have to get that top end KPF, or multiple B grade KPFs. Without that player we aren't winning a premiership. Therefore, I'd say the trade makes sense because we aren't contending for a few years.

Unless, of course, we have a genuine good KPF trade target coming. Then the game is different.

I personally reckon we should bite the bullet and do a thorough rebuild here and now. And accept the 5 years to be a contender again.

Yeah, because the pointy end of the draft is such a good place to get a guaranteed gun KPF … McCartin, Boyd, Patton, Schache, Thilthorpe, Lukoscious, Weideman, Sam Day, Watts … I’m not far off whacking Max King in with ‘em.

Of course there are some guns as well, but where KPF’s and point end picks are concerned it’s a toss of the coin. I’ve got no interest in a coin toss for Shai Bolton.

Rioli is contracted.

We won't be losing Rioli unless:
A/ he wants to leave; and
B/ the club who wants him is willing to pay something the we just can't refuse.

If picks 8 and 20 are on the table (with a couple of late picks back to GC), no offence, but I’m sure we’d encourage him to look for greener pastures at GC.

I'd prefer too keep both Rioli & Bakes.Least they have a go unlike Bolton.Irononically if only one stay then I seem him as our next captain.Hoping It's Dan.A Rioli as captain of our club is as symbolic as it could get not just the name but our strong indigenous ties would on get stronger.
We don't want too end up like North an cull the senior group too deep.

Its a matter of how hard the club want to hit the high end of this draft.

Rioli & Baker the only players that are playing the level of football that will attract 1st rounders back.

Bolton by his contract length ~ another first rounder.

I doubt Short or Graham leave.
Still got

Nank
Dusty
Broad
Balta
Hopper
Taranto
Lynch
Pickett, Kmac

Shai in our 17-22 side is a completely different kettle of fish compared too 24 onwards.
We'd be mad not too listen too offers inarticulately from Freo.

No, everyone’s expectations are simply too high for a half forward in a sh*te team. He’s not in great form at the moment, no doubt. But this talk of downhill skiing etc… is not really correct based on as short a time ago as 2023 when we finished 13th.

Who is on track for AA half forward in 2024? Dylan Moore? Izak Rankine?

Shai Bolton 2023 v Moore 2024 v Rankine 2024:

Disposals: 21.7 v 18.8 v 19.2
Goals: 1.4 v 1.6 v 2.0
GA: 0.8 v 1.0 v 1.0
Inside 50: 5.4 v 4.0 v 4.4
CP: 9.7 v 7.6 v 10.1
Clearances: 4.0 v 1.9 v 4.0
SI: 7.0 v 6.6 v 6.6
Tackles: 3.0 v 3.6 v 3.6

So this talk of only being able to perform in a great team is just garbage. 21.7 / 1.4 with 4 clearances and 7 x SI is Uber elite… and that was just half a season ago.

I know he can be frustrating at times, but you do not give those types of players away when they are hitting peak age. How’d Moore go playing in our dog sh*te forward half right now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back