List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have 3 firsts plus another next year. Need one of the teams to implode like Port
I guess if they could get one of those into the top 10 we might accept all three. They'll probably want to hold their future first in case they can get Warner to move.

Eagles fans trying to pass off their 5th string KPF's for our VC.

You've kicked 2 goals in a half

Will Ferrell Lol GIF
Now need their full back to kick a 3rd on 3/4 time 🤣🤣

A few senior players need to be cut loose. Short ,Graham and hate to say it Bolton will land us good picks. Baker wouldn't break the bank for him either. Would split the picks in this years and next years draft rebuild could set us up.

Man, we're gonna have a great draft hand. At least two firsts for Shai, another for Bakes, an end of second compo pick for JGTI and a fourth-rounder from whoever will take Short's contract off our books.

With all the bundling up of our late picks I make that 12 first-rounders. We'll probably move 3 or 6 of them into next year.

Man, we're gonna have a great draft hand. At least two firsts for Shai, another for Bakes, an end of second compo pick for JGTI and a fourth-rounder from whoever will take Short's contract off our books.

With all the bundling up of our late picks I make that 12 first-rounders. We'll probably move 3 or 6 of them into next year.
What do we get for Dusty?

Watching today made we think that we really can’t afford to lose Rioli

Pretty much every attacking play from our back 50 that even looked remotely like breaking Carlton’s zone or setting up a scoring opportunity was through him alone

He’s not the type of player who we can just plug another player into the role and have that kind of output and when most of our scoring opportunities come from the back half without him in the side we will be completely rudderless

We have to keep Baker and Rioli for their leadership capabilities.

Bolton, Short and Graham can all go. To the right buyer that could net us 2 later first rounds, 1 late second and a late 3rd.

Hopefully the clubs kick Laura's idea down and we can then go on to trade with Brisbane and maybe carlton for their firsts with points exchange.

That could leave us with (based on current ladder position) 2, 6, 12, 15, 17

I can easily find another 3 or 4 players to get rid of to make for more talent inside the top 30 of the draft.

Richmond needs to inform Liam Baker and his manager he may not get to the club he wants and if his intention is to get back to WA then Richmond will deal him to the team thats prepared to pay the asking trade cost other wise he either stays for another year or go to the club prepared to trade.
If Baker is going to leave he would want reassurance that a trade would be done. I can't we WC saying "We really want you here, it will be great both for you and the club. We will look after you.

Oh, by the way if Richmond doesn't accept our round 2 pick we are just going to walk away leaving you holding the can".

Without reassurance and commitment that a trade will be done then he would obviously be thinking "alright. I'll go to Freo then."

He will be well aware that he would need to at least informally let one of the club's know he's going to one or the other at least the start of August. He obviously can't change his mind mid trade period as the club he didn't chose would have made other arrangements by that time.

It would be a big breach of trust if the club he nominates decides just to walk away.

Last edited:
Watching today made we think that we really can’t afford to lose Rioli

Pretty much every attacking play from our back 50 that even looked remotely like breaking Carlton’s zone or setting up a scoring opportunity was through him alone

He’s not the type of player who we can just plug another player into the role and have that kind of output and when most of our scoring opportunities come from the back half without him in the side we will be completely rudderless
Rioli is contracted.

We won't be losing Rioli unless:
A/ he wants to leave; and
B/ the club who wants him is willing to pay something that we just can't refuse.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Baker is going to leave he would want reassurance that a trade would be done. I can't we WC saying "We really want you here, it will be great both for you and the club. We will look after you.

Oh, by the way if Richmond doesn't accept our round 2 pick we are just going to walk away leaving you holding the can".

Without reassurance and commitment that a trade will be done then he would obviously be thinking "alright. I'll go to Freo then."

He will be well aware that he would need to at least informally let one of the club's know he's going to one or the other at least the start of August. He obviously can't change his mind mid trade period as the club he didn't chose would have made other arrangements by that time.

It would be a big breach of trust if the club he nominates decides just to walk away.
I think Blair would need to let his management know with no uncertainty what the clubs expectations are if he selects to leave and to make sure the other club is also aware and we wont be making it an easy walk for a can of coke like a 2nd rounder.

I think Blair would need to let his management know with no uncertainty what the clubs expectations are if he selects to leave and to make sure the other club is also aware and we wont be making it an easy walk for a can of coke like a 2nd rounder.
It's West Coast, they can give us plenty of coke.

We have to keep Baker and Rioli for their leadership capabilities.

Bolton, Short and Graham can all go. To the right buyer that could net us 2 later first rounds, 1 late second and a late 3rd.

Hopefully the clubs kick Laura's idea down and we can then go on to trade with Brisbane and maybe carlton for their firsts with points exchange.

That could leave us with (based on current ladder position) 2, 6, 12, 15, 17

I can easily find another 3 or 4 players to get rid of to make for more talent inside the top 30 of the draft.

We don't have a choice in Baker, if he wants to leave he will go. Rioli is an opportunity we probably can't pass up. Not many players want to go to the Gold Coast, so they will pay massive overs when one does. Didnt they give Freo pick 2 for Weller or someone once, which got them Brayshaw. 2 first rounders for a 28 year old who is very unlikely to play finals again with us (atleast until he's 33 or so), we just have to take it. It makes up for trading picks for Hopper and Taranto.

Bolton will clearly struggle in a rebuilding side, Id consider it depending on the offer. One issue is we are already miles too slow, so we would get impossible to watch over the next 3-4 years if him and Rioli go.

As for Short and Graham, they are barely AFL standard anymore, but surely the other teams can see this. They are the level of player you would only trade token late picks for.

Players of bakes credentials don’t shit in their nest like that , his manager wouldn’t agree to a deal if either club couldn’t demonstrate they could get a deal done . No way would bakes settle on a destination if it involved potentially trying to pull thru psd , not when he’s got options to avoid the risk of actually remaining in melb at freo
The deal will get done , I see wc swapping their pair of r2s for a r1 or we in fact take them

These deals only progress if the manager and destination club already have an understanding on how it happens.

Unless we have no plans to contend for 7-years then no way we should trade Bolton… pick 3 could be Will Phillips, Cam Rayner or Riley Thilthorpe FFS. Bolton and Balta have the ability to be two of the best dozen players in the comp and they are both now hitting their peak age.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yet Bolton is getting worse, not better

Disagree.Bolton is the cream on top type of player.We're not going to be in that position for him to be that for another 3yrs at least.
What a flawed argument.Pick 3 could be Will Phillips.If thats the case lets give up pick 2 for 5 3rd rnd picks so at least we can say well they're only 3rd rnd picks and the chances of them making it was slim anyway.

No… you’re saying trade Bolton, and let’s say we get pick-5. I’m saying pick 5 could be Ward, Grainger Barass, Phillips or Dow. And of course it could be Bont or LDU. But what are the chances pick-5 is a better player than Shai Bolton? We have a player who has been AA and can average 20 touches and 1.5 goals a game … you do NOT trade those players out of your team … you are trying to get them IN when they are 25yo.

No… you’re saying trade Bolton, and let’s say we get pick-5. I’m saying pick 5 could be Ward, Grainger Barass, Phillips or Dow. And of course it could be Bont or LDU. But what are the chances pick-5 is a better player than Shai Bolton? We have a player who has been AA and can average 20 touches and 1.5 goals a game … you do NOT trade those players out of your team … you are trying to get them IN when they are 25yo.

Bolton is a great player in a great team, in an average team with some attention he goes to water a bit and looks disinterested.

You can be 20m out right in front, and miss because you snap around your body in a good side because the rest pick up the slack. You will be called "Mercurial"

Yesterday he reminded me of your stock standard downhill skiier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back