List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

But why gut the list for the sake of a speculative draft pick who may end up being a dud who never kicks on.

I think many on this board have become obsessed with draft picks and are letting that obsession rule their heads.

Gutting the list to fill the list with kids who may or may not kick on is the definition of bat shit crazy. You need to have experience around them.
Some people on here have been playing too much Fifa.

Lennon , Dow , RCD , Cellis

Not one of them was taken with a pick in the teens though.

But I will tell you who was...J Riewoldt, A Rance, B Ellis, D Rioli, J Higgins, T Brown..... :)

I reckon TigerImposter has started this misguided rumour that we don't do well with "picks in the teens."

I wouldn't believe anything you read from posters like that without quadruple-checking it in future. ;)

Last edited:

But I will tell you who was...J Riewoldt, A Rance, B Ellis, D Rioli, J Higgins, T Brown..... :)

I reckon TigerImposter has started this misguided rumour that we don't do well with "picks in the teens."

I wouldn't believe anything you read from posters like that without quadruple-checking it in future. ;)
It was a joke :rolleyes:

Honestly you saying read? I read he says since 17 onwards we have been poor nothing to do with past picks! He talks about the current regime and apart from Francis Jackson and just gone Clarke are still in charge. I agree with him. Our youth recruiting has been appalling.

was a genuine question,

wow okay so he was at the saints previously for 10 years.... and their list is in terrible shape. This guys is in charge of our rebuild....

but who who cares right?
🤡
We'll he wasn't in charge for 10 years for starters, and his drafting when he was, was quite good. Secondly, are you actually suggesting that we are so inept that we need to shield our brand new head recruiter from selecting 1st round picks in the teens? :$

**** me even the bigfooty phantom draft could pick 3 decent kids in the teens this year.
Contracted Bolton is worth a top 3 pick and will have suiters if ever up for trade
you dont get a top 3 pick for them magic beans
12, 13 and 16 is better than 3 in a deep draft IMO. Especially when we'll already have pick 1 or 2, and have the potential to bring in another 1st rounder for points. They can always be packaged up to trade up if the move makes sense on draft night.

We've rolled over too long. Gold Coast traded pick 2 for Weller years ago. Give us everything and more that we're asking else rioli stays a tiger. Rioli is twice the player Weller is. Simple as that.
Wayne Campbell has already said that Rioli news wasn't real & they had not offered 2 first rounders.

Wayne Campbell has already said that Rioli news wasn't real & they had not offered 2 first rounders.
Wouldn’t take a huge amount from that
Club’s technically can’t try and poach players and do any trade discussions during the season so that’s what he needs to say publicly even if it’s not true being an employee of the Gold Coast

Club’s technically can’t try and poach players and do any trade discussions during the season so that’s what he needs to say publicly even if it’s not true being an employee of the Gold Coast
Didnt say they hadn't approached him either. Just they hadn't offered us what Ralph said.

Didnt say they hadn't approached him either. Just they hadn't offered us what Ralph said.
Yeah, I think there is far to much smoke with this one for it to be nothing

If the move happens or not is a completely other discussion but I have no doubt the suns are going to give it a crack

If people are concerned about our ability to score now it’s only going to get a lot worse wait until you look at the actual numbers behind the players that people don’t want at the club next year for some draft picks

If we lose even two of this group it’s going to get very ****ing grim

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpeg
    IMG_0884.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0885.png
    IMG_0885.png
    363.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0886.jpeg
    IMG_0886.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0888.jpeg
    IMG_0888.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0889.jpeg
    IMG_0889.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0890.jpeg
    IMG_0890.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0891.jpeg
    IMG_0891.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
If people are concerned about our ability to score now it’s only going to get a lot worse wait until you look at the actual numbers behind the players that people don’t want at the club next year for some draft picks

Short in the MG stat but nothing else is grim 😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt anyone has offered any deals for players yet. They don't even know what picks they have.

They get the players to commit first and then negotiate with clubs once the season is over.

Innaresting.

In a 2KPF forward line No Lynch or decent replacement for Jack R has killed us IMO. Its all shuffling deckchairs on the titanic until we fix Lynch, replace him and/or get a fit list.
Get 5 first rounders and they end up like Fawcett, Grey

Short in the MG stat but nothing else is grim 😂😂
Especially with the games he has missed this year as well

Blokes only job is to bomb it long after the handball receive after a behind

Yep … trade out Bolton for 2 x 1st rounders to hopefully develop one of them who in 3-4 years can hopefully be as good as … Shai Bolton.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah, but in four years time Bolton is hitting 30 and slowing down, while a kid is just about to hit their peak as we're getting ready to contend again.

Look at Freo. They began their rebuild in 2017 and are only just starting to rise now.

Yeah, but in four years time Bolton is hitting 30 and slowing down, while a kid is just about to hit their peak as we're getting ready to contend again.

Look at Freo. They began their rebuild in 2017 and are only just starting to rise now.
They did rise 2 years ago too.

We'll he wasn't in charge for 10 years for starters, and his drafting when he was, was quite good. Secondly, are you actually suggesting that we are so inept that we need to shield our brand new head recruiter from selecting 1st round picks in the teens? :$

**** me even the bigfooty phantom draft could pick 3 decent kids in the teens this year.

12, 13 and 16 is better than 3 in a deep draft IMO. Especially when we'll already have pick 1 or 2, and have the potential to bring in another 1st rounder for points. They can always be packaged up to trade up if the move makes sense on draft night.
Considering we have so many holes in nearly every line nd a lack of depth, with this year's draft I would actually take picks 12 and 13 for Bolton, along with maybe a later pick.

If you get an A grader and a B grader, or even 2 solid B graders for those picks who can play for 10 years it's a win over Bolton who in our team will languish like he already is. Plus you free up future salary.

It shouldn't be a single pick we are searching for. We need depth. The icing on the cake will come.

And who knows. McKay and Curnow were picks 10 and 12. Rance was 18.

That's the beauty of daring to try. If you don't take your chances you will stagnate and we can all go to Bolton's retirement game in 5 years wondering what could have been.

Last edited:
I’m confident we can rebound. Coz of our resources and experience in the right areas but our on field performance is as bleak as I’ve seen since 87 when Tony jewell had the reigns , the numbers say as much , we are literally tracking toward our worst losing streak at the mcg , ever
Because of injury to our best players though. List is hardly 1987 standard

2 first rounders always seemed a bit far fetched to me. If it's too good to be true it probably isn't but ofc they would be interested in a player like Dan Rioli, I don't doubt that but I just think offer 2 first rounds was very untrue it came from Jon Ralph who probably to get us a good deal him being a Tigers man.

Yeah, but what the club will be trying to do is get some elite talent in the draft who can make fairly immediate impact (ala Scheezel, Reid, Wardlaw), and from 2026-2030, when these kids are beginning to be stars of the comp we still have Balta, Bolton et al still in their prime at 27-32yo.

Sydney had back to back bottom 4 finishes in 2019-20….. they are now rising not just because of young stars hitting their peak (21-24yo) Gulden, Warner, McDonald, Blakey, Rowbottom, Amartey etc… it’s because they retained most of their mid-20’s players during their mini rebuild who remain at the peak of their powers :

Rampe : 34yo
Parker: 31yo
Lloyd: 30yo
Cunningham: 30yo
Heeney: 28yo
Papley : 27yo
Mills: 27yo

They also brought in Grundy, Adams who are both 30yo.

If you focus on kids alone then you end up as North, who have nobody of any quality 27yo+. I believe North will eventually climb the ladder (7 x top-5 picks and AFL handouts galore says you simply have to).

But I’d prefer to keep any quality under 27yo so we can be competitive from 2026 onwards… if we trade out Bolton, lose Baker, lose Dusty, maybe trade Rioli, lost a few to retirement etc… we won’t be competitive again until 2029 onwards at best.

We can do both - get elite talent and keep most of our elite players.

Yeah, but what the club will be trying to do is get some elite talent in the draft who can make fairly immediate impact (ala Scheezel, Reid, Wardlaw), and from 2026-2030, when these kids are beginning to be stars of the comp we still have Balta, Bolton et al still in their prime at 27-32yo.

Sydney had back to back bottom 4 finishes in 2019-20….. they are now rising not just because of young stars hitting their peak (21-24yo) Gulden, Warner, McDonald, Blakey, Rowbottom, Amartey etc… it’s because they retained most of their mid-20’s players during their mini rebuild who remain at the peak of their powers :

Rampe : 34yo
Parker: 31yo
Lloyd: 30yo
Cunningham: 30yo
Heeney: 28yo
Papley : 27yo
Mills: 27yo

They also brought in Grundy, Adams who are both 30yo.

If you focus on kids alone then you end up as North, who have nobody of any quality 27yo+. I believe North will eventually climb the ladder (7 x top-5 picks and AFL handouts galore says you simply have to).

But I’d prefer to keep any quality under 27yo so we can be competitive from 2026 onwards… if we trade out Bolton, lose Baker, lose Dusty, maybe trade Rioli, lost a few to retirement etc… we won’t be competitive again until 2029 onwards at best.

We can do both - get elite talent and keep most of our elite players.

When the Swans bottomed out (2020) Heeney was 24, and Papley and Mills 23. Bolton, Baker and Rioli will be 2–4 years older than those guys were.

If you look at the Swans' core midfield group:
  • Heeney - 10th year
  • Warner - 5th year
  • Rowbottom - 6th year
  • Gulden - 4th year
  • McInerney - 6th year
We want to be setting ourselves up to be putting the finishing touches on our list build just as Tassie comes in, and the best way to do that is to load up on the draft right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back