List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our list is not in position to take on opposition clubs busts. The process this off season should be quite simple, cut as much deadwood as possible and replace it with young high quality potential. Repeat the process in 2025 and look to bring in quality free agent/trade targets as well as young talent when we will have the likes of Martin Lynch Grimes Prestia off the books and cap space to fill.

tigs2010 further to the list management discussion from the other day. We could effectively leave a bunch of players unsigned during the trade period which gives us maximum flexibility regarding trading picks. We'd then have about 2 weeks from the end of trading to sign or cut players depending on how our draft hand is positioned

Jay Clark on the Midweek Tackle said Richmond might be into Tsatas if Rioli goes to the GC. What would he cost in a trade, pick 21?
Did they mention it as a pick upgrade package for Essendon 1st round pick?

Last edited:
Apologies if I'm showing my ignorance but why do the GCS seem to have multiple top 10 picks every @#^@^%@%& draft.

I am aware of them trading Sharp and Rankine recently but @#$^@ Me if they always have 2 or 3 faaaarkin picks inclusive of academy picks.
And what makes it worse is that they always seem to have highly rated academy players. Lombard’s another one this year, and I read somewhere that there was a potential top pick coming through next year.

Yet they’re still not a threat for finals. But once it clicks it’d be all over for the rest of us

Our list is not in position to take on opposition clubs busts. The process this off season should be quite simple, cut as much deadwood as possible and replace it with young high quality potential. Repeat the process in 2025 and look to bring in quality free agent/trade targets as well as young talent when we will have the likes of Martin Lynch Grimes Prestia off the books and cap space to fill.
you got it RT..this 100% should be the game plan going foward.
no picking up deadwood
trading to improve our draft hand and then invest in youth
then repeat the process next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you got it RT..this 100% should be the game plan going foward.
no picking up deadwood
trading to improve our draft hand and then invest in youth
then repeat the process next year.
Deadwood like Jeremy Sharp, Blake Acres, Ginnivan, D'Ambrosio, Chol etc etc?

Just gotta pick the right ones...

tigs2010 further to the list management discussion from the other day. We could effectively leave a bunch of players unsigned during the trade period which gives us maximum flexibility regarding trading picks. We'd then have about 2 weeks from the end of trading to sign or cut players depending on how our draft hand is positioned
My main thought is who is going to carry the pick into draft night?

It's not going to be as simple as bundling up 5 picks to give to the Lions for 1 pick as I doubt we can hold 4 extra list spots for no reason and doubt the Lions would want to either given where their list is at.

Deadwood like Jeremy Sharp, Blake Acres, Ginnivan, D'Ambrosio, Chol etc etc?

Just gotta pick the right ones...
We should be targeting young guys that will cost us a 3rd or less that can fill a hole. Top teams will have a whole heap of top picks wasting away in the ressies.

Konstanty been linked a few times, 1st round pick that hasn't played and is behind Papley (interesting to see if he plays this week with Papley injured)

Why are we being linked to all the draft flops?
Phillips and now Tsatas

Gotta save our picks so we can have our own draft flops to try and palm off in a few years

Why are we being linked to all the draft flops?
Phillips and now Tsatas

Gotta save our picks so we can have our own draft flops to try and palm off in a few years

I saw a game where Tsatas almost missed his boot. And another where he launched into a shot from just inside-50 and it barely made the goal square. He’s also soft. It’s a very hard NO for Tsatas… I have no idea how he went so high, as it wasn’t a surprise as he was always touted top-5.

How is Dodoro the cockroach still there? They had the promising D’Ambrosio and let him go for a bag of crisps. In Dodoro’s time have more top-10 draft busts/disappointments than almost any other club (Gumbleton, Myers, Melksham, Francis, McGrath, Reid, Cox, Perkins, Tsatas). Then there’s the failed trades and FA acquisitions that look like long-term financial black holes (Gresham, McKay).

Their only recent wins were a free hit in the MSD from our VFL program in Durham. Then a good trade to get Caldwell. But the failed top-10 picks in recent years means this club is really going to struggle to get out of mid-table mediocrity… you just can’t afford to get so many high end picks wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We should be targeting young guys that will cost us a 3rd or less that can fill a hole. Top teams will have a whole heap of top picks wasting away in the ressies.

Konstanty been linked a few times, 1st round pick that hasn't played and is behind Papley (interesting to see if he plays this week with Papley injured)
Yeah definitely. It's something we haven't seemed to even consider for the past few years (apart from Kosi who was never going to be a regular) and I don't know why. Every off season there are bargain buys and we never even have a crack.

Cats got Bowes (who's no star but would play every week for us) AND a 1st round pick for nothing. Blues got Hollands for less than a future 3rd, Blake Acres for a future 3rd. D'Ambrosio is one of the highest rated wingers in the comp and hawks got him for pick 61 and a future 4th aka sweet **** all. etc etc.
**** yes.

I saw a game where Tsatas almost missed his boot. And another where he launched into a shot from just inside-50 and it barely made the goal square. He’s also soft. It’s a very hard NO for Tsatas… I have no idea how he went so high, as it wasn’t a surprise as he was always touted top-5.

How is Dodoro the cockroach still there? They had the promising D’Ambrosio and let him go for a bag of crisps. In Dodoro’s time have more top-10 draft busts/disappointments than almost any other club (Gumbleton, Myers, Melksham, Francis, McGrath, Reid, Cox, Perkins, Tsatas). Then there’s the failed trades and FA acquisitions that look like long-term financial black holes (Gresham, McKay).

Their only recent wins were a free hit in the MSD from our VFL program in Durham. Then a good trade to get Caldwell. But the failed top-10 picks in recent years means this club is really going to struggle to get out of mid-table mediocrity… you just can’t afford to get so many high end picks wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think Tsatas highlights the trap that we can’t, and some posters are already falling into before the fact

Is that we can’t just assume that every player we draft inside the top 10 or even the top 5 are going to reach the draft night potential or assume this draft alone is what is going to lead us into our next great best 22 and group of club champions

Even year 1 with these solid picks can be deceiving thinking back on players like Cox for the bombers, Duursma for port or Stephenson for the pies all promising year 1 but ultimately didn’t justify the hype

As excited I am for this years draft I hope the club is prepared to also reinvest in elite picks over the next 2 - 3 drafts as well to ensure we spread the risk and not put all of our eggs in 1 basket

If we use any club as a template it’s Hawthorn, keep a strong core our established stars and proven players they did with Sicily, Impy and even Wingaurd (Bolton, Taranto, Hopper, Rioli)

But not just hit the draft hard also do some smart recruitment of free agents when the time is right and even be prepared to bring in players that look over the hill just to be stop gaps until the kids are ready

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back