Recruiting Trade & Free Agency V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WB: 0 (Bont's deeds fall well short of his reputation at this stage)

Shiel over Bont? As for reputation he should have been a Norm Smith medallist. That 2016 season has already repaid his pick.

Plus was back to his best last week.

At this stage last year Dev was going to Geelong, there was no talk of Stringer leaving the dogs and only quiet murmurs about Saad wanting to come home. Fair chance our target/s hasn't even been mentioned yet.

At this stage last year Dev was going to Geelong, there was no talk of Stringer leaving the dogs and only quiet murmurs about Saad wanting to come home. Fair chance our target/s hasn't even been mentioned yet.
There most certainly was.

I'll have a go as its my claim.

Players on lists in the same league:

Ade: Gibbs (maybe Sloane at his best).
Bris: Beams (though I'm not sure what his form is these days)
Carl: Cripps
Coll: Treloar (not Pendlebury anymore)
Ess: maybe Merrett but he's tended to get far too much unobtrusive ball in the back half
Freo: Fyfe
Gee: Danger & Sellwood (no longer Ablett)
GC: 0
GWS: Kelly and maybe Ward
Haw: Mitchell
Mel: maybe Oliver (though probably not yet)
NM: maybe Higgins in one year and maybe Cunnington
Port: Gray and maybe Wines
Rich: Martin
StK: 0
Syd: Kennedy was but maybe not anymore
WCE: you could argue that Gaff is, I wouldn't
WB: 0 (Bont's deeds fall well short of his reputation at this stage)

That's 20 players. Fyfe, Danger, Cripps, Sellwood, Gray, Martin, Mitchell and Kelly are the only players I'd argue are better or who challenge Shiel's standing in my hierarchy.
You should seriously use the eye test or even check the stats if you aren’t even putting a maybe for Bont.
Bont Only averaging two less disposals a game than Shiel but averages more clearances, contested possessions, inside 50’s and averages 1.3 goals a game compared to Shiels 0.3. Has done it playing through injury all year as well. His last two weeks he’s been back from injury and has been electric.
No doubt Bont should be there, above Shiel too. Would have Coniglio on the list to at least be in the conversation.
Oliver, if he's not there yet, he will be & better than Shiel within the blink of an eye.
But all up, the list is pretty fair imo.

Out of interest, how does him being at essendon improve him more than at GWS?

Hadn't really thought of it till it was mentioned but being the number 1 helps.

It doesn't make you better just slightly more productive.

He wouldn't be competing for the ball with Ward, Kelly and Coniglio. Also we set up quite well defensively around the ball which would also lend itself to setting up Sheil to break through and away from congestion.

Whether that makes for a better team is debatable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is Shield worth? Our first wouldn't cut it I wouldn't of thought.
I dunno, if he leaves next year as a free agent GWS likely only get a late first round pick if they finish near the top of the ladder. Even if it isn't reflective of his true worth pick 7 (or whatever) might be all it takes to get the deal done for that reason alone.

The move to Essendon is the best move of his career he says.
Building similar to the Giants he says.
Sounds like he's trying to lure in some talent.

Love your work Dev; both on and off the field!
Devon Smith says joining Essendon best move of his career, says Bombers building similar to Giants
HE’S arguably the recruit of the year and could potentially win Essendon’s best-and-fairest so it’s little surprise Devon Smith considers his move to the Bombers the best career decision he’s ever made.

And the midfield tackling machine, who has played every game this season after departing GWS at the end of last year, sees similarities between the Giants and the progress of the Bombers in 2018 despite finals looking out of reach.

Essendon has to beat ladder-leaders Richmond on Friday, then Port Adelaide in the final round, rack up a big percentage boost and hope other results go its way to feature in September.

But if they don’t get there this year Smith, who played in two finals in his six seasons in Sydney, said he was very excited about what was being built at Essendon which made him extra comfortable with his decision to don the red and black.

0b0dc8b21587974069d68ec12f022a0a

Devon Smith and Jake Stringer celebrate a goal.

“We are going to have this core group for the next four to six years, so that’s exciting. I’ve seen how that works,” Smith said, referencing the way the Giants built from the ground up.

“It’s still going to take this group another year and a bit to see how each other plays. I’m trying to still learn where Saady (Adam Saad) kicks the ball, where Jakey (Jake Stringer) leads. Our whole team is doing the same for me.

“We are going to gel and hopefully it’s sooner rather than later.”

Smith, who grew up in Lara, near Geelong, before being taken by GWS with pick No.14 in the 2011 draft, conceded that while he did everything to tell himself he wasn’t homesick when in Sydney, he couldn’t escape the feeling he needed to come back to Melbourne.

78ae4154d6be8cf531ff712f6b33bf3f

Devon Smith in action for Essendon. Picture: Michael Klein

He said he felt “re-energised” as soon as he came back, enjoying the simple things like regular catch-ups with family and friends, and the benefits for his football have been obvious.

“I didn’t think I was unhappy in Sydney, but looking back, I was a bit headstrong, and I was a bit homesick, missing family,” Smith said.

“Being at home, being able to catch up with people for a coffee, or have dinner, little things. I feel re-energised with my footy, and I am really enjoying game day again.

“It’s a weird thing but definitely the best thing I have done in my career so far.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/03bb81d73225200ddcdb8d08b7adcec1

Hmmmm

Didn't Devon AND Stringer cost our first rounder last year, roundabout?

Shiel is in the same rough bracket as Devon, maybe a few rungs up. Don't go too crazy on price
I think the difference is if he goes a) GWS will be wanting to cash in, given he's an FA next year and b) his ceiling is significantly higher than Dev's. Shiel shares a lot of similarities with Judd imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back