Trade Hypotheticals 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee, that is strange. Anyone delisted?

We have 6 out (retired/delisted/saw the writing on the wall)

We had to elevate 1 which was McGovern as he had been on the rookie list 3 years. Has loads of talent, just cant get on the park.

The other two were very odd. No need yet - and surely we would wait for a coach right? I mean, who is going to try and poach Jamie Bennell....

Wonder if WC would want Banfield in the Yeo deal since they're struggling to find a small forward.

Yeo + Banfield for P24?

Hope we pick up Laidler, has said he is keen for interstate. Would be handy for our backline

Trade Scenario:
Jared Polec + Aaron Cornelius = Pick 13 (Port Adelaide)
Patrick Karnezis + Pick 17 + Pick 20 (Hawthorn) = Pick 10 (Collingwood) + Pick 11-14 (Thomas Compensation)
Elliot Yeo + Todd Banfield = Pick 24 + Pick 60 (West Coast)
Sam Docherty + James Polkinghorne = Pick 14 (Carlton)
Billy Longer + Pick 25 (Brisbane) = Pick 20 (Buddy Compensation) + Pick 17 (Hawthorn)

Summary:
In’s:
Pick 7:
Pick 10
Pick 13:
Pick 11-14:
Pick 14:
Pick 24:
Pick 25:
Pick 43: Justin Clarke (Elevated Rookie)

Outs:
1). Jared Polec
2). Aaron Cornelius
3). Patrick Karnezis
4). Elliot Yeo
5). Todd Banfield
6). Sam Docherty
7). Billy Longer
8). James Polkinghorne

Patrick Karnezis + Pick 17 + Pick 20 (Hawthorn) = Pick 10 (Collingwood) + Pick 11-14 (Thomas Compensation)

There's no way Collingwood would agree to that ^

Bit of a 'what if' based on the Beams rumours and article linking Lions with Luke McDonald (which I think is a bluff). I'm sure there are some holes in my scenario but worth getting out of my head:

1.) Lions advise Kangas to give us pick 7 for Docherty and pick 19 (or whatever Hawks rd. 1 is that we get for Longer). If they dont agree we nominate Luke McDonald. Kangas either end up with Luke McDonald with their pick 7, OR Docherty, McDonald and Pick 19

2.) Lions offer pick 7&8 to Collingwood for Dayne Beams. Collingwood may be interested as it gives them picks 7, 8, 10&11 in the draft and plenty of options and trading scenarios to work with GWS for the pick 1 they want, Heath Shaw the inclusion.

A few things would have to be considered in this situation:

1.) How committed to McDonald are the Kangas
2.) Lions confidence in still retaining Longer, Docherty, Yeo
3.) Lions wouldn't have a draft pick in Rd.1 but may settle for later picks to load up on academy players.
5.) Scenario assists somewhat in the age gap Leppitsch talks about.
4.) Pies willingness to hold onto Beams.

As I said, probably a few holes I havent filled in or contemplated. But would be a positive!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Why in all of these pathetic trade scenarios do people have us paying overs (2 first round draft picks for anyoneo_O) yet in return have us receiving a pittance for any of our 6-8 players wanting out?:rolleyes:

Because that's the way this is going to go down.

We'll get unders for our players because they are desperate to leave and will engineer the circumstances to get to their club of choice.

We'll have to pay overs to recruit others because we are not an employer of choice.

The issues are underlying. The trade strategy is simply the tip of the iceberg.

Why in all of these pathetic trade scenarios do people have us paying overs (2 first round draft picks for anyoneo_O) yet in return have us receiving a pittance for any of our 6-8 players wanting out?:rolleyes:

Apologies, wasn't aiming for the 'pathetic' category.

Just out of interest which scenario do you think is not fair? Beams for 8&9, Longer for 19 and/or Docherty for 7&19? If all, I feel you are over-rating Longer and Docherty and Under-rating Beams in the current market.

I think there are going to be some disappointed people after this trade period.

Apologies, wasn't aiming for the 'pathetic' category.

Just out of interest which scenario do you think is not fair? Beams for 8&9, Longer for 19 and/or Docherty for 7&19? If all, I feel you are over-rating Longer and Docherty and Under-rating Beams in the current market.

I think there are going to be some disappointed people after this trade period.

In before 7&8 error

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any circumstances that would see us having to expend 2 first round draft picks (which we don't have) on anyone, unless they are one of the best players in the comp...even then; when does that happen?

You realise this is a hypothetical thread? What he posted were merely hypotheticals, so there is no point shooting holes in it.

Beams is worth 2 first round picks. He's in the same age bracket as our core and he's an absolute gun. Would certainly help the Lions move forward

Any circumstances that would see us having to expend 2 first round draft picks (which we don't have) on anyone, unless they are one of the best players in the comp...even then; when does that happen?

I guess it depends on the plans of our list management. It wouldn't be the apocalypse if we planned to develop in house (which Leppa has stated) and went after a Beams or equivalent. That way we're offering phantom people, rather than players we've come to love.

I'm not too worried about us signing McGuane. He might go ok with a fresh start and if Leppa wants him he must think he can do a job for us.

Yeah, a free swing at someone who has shown he can do a job, albeit to a fairly limited level. Wouldn't worry me either way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Hypotheticals 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Back