List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, how's Jarrod Pickett going in his rehab? I know he is contracted till the end of next season but he is the sort of player I would love to have at Freo. Trade value?

He is difficult to value, was taken with pick 4, was about to debut when injured, not sure he'd be traded but if he was hard to see it being for less than a 1st rounder

I think you would be better off going for two picks, maybe a second round and a third round.
By doing so you are able to get more points and be able to trade the first round pick, so you have the points to get all three academy players who are likely to be positioned in the top 10 picks at worst top 15.
I don't disagree with the theory behind your comments here, however:
  • Ian W commented a '2017 1st' and in reality we'd tend not to dip into future 3rd rounders just in case the AFL change the rules in the meantime & the traded picks become less useful & less valuable to us - yes a bit elitist and borne from the academy points system but it is what it is
  • depends on which club and what 2nd & 3rd rounders - straight ladder-assigned 2nd & 3rd rounders don't sum to the same ladder-assigned first round points

I don't disagree with the theory behind your comments here, however:
  • Ian W commented a '2017 1st' and in reality we'd tend not to dip into future 3rd rounders just in case the AFL change the rules in the meantime & the traded picks become less useful & less valuable to us - yes a bit elitist and borne from the academy points system but it is what it is
  • depends on which club and what 2nd & 3rd rounders - straight ladder-assigned 2nd & 3rd rounders don't sum to the same ladder-assigned first round points

I think you will find that a club who is after him would make it their priority to trade into points that are of a sufficient level, that will allow them to trade with the Giants.

I also have have heard Tomlinson to Carlton is merely a formality. Interesting to see what is on offer there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have have heard Tomlinson to Carlton is merely a formality. Interesting to see what is on offer there.
I would guess at second rounder, question would be whether it's this year or next. This year would be pick 25 to 27 region, 703 to 756 points worth. Future pick probably less, unless GWS punt on the fact of Carlton overachieving this year. So, like you, interested to see what it ends up if it eventuates.

I would guess at second rounder, question would be whether it's this year or next. This year would be pick 25 to 27 region, 703 to 756 points worth. Future pick probably less, unless GWS punt on the fact of Carlton overachieving this year. So, like you, interested to see what it ends up if it eventuates.

Im thinking it'll be another package deal to Carlton.

Im thinking it'll be another package deal to Carlton.

Points will be the key.
This will prolong GWS' window as quality talent will continue to come through, rather than having all talent grouped around the 93 age group. Plenty of talent but talent at different ages will allow salary cap pressures to be lessened.

Points will be the key.
This will prolong GWS' window as quality talent will continue to come through, rather than having all talent grouped around the 93 age group. Plenty of talent but talent at different ages will allow salary cap pressures to be lessened.

No, points will not be the key.

The key will be retaining the loyalty of the existing player group.

Im also expecting the points system to fold in the face of the sustained whining into a system where you cant turn a number of low-end picks into matching a high-end bid.

In that case, we'd be better off holding future firsts than more future seconds and thirds.

Points will be the key.

No, points will not be the key.

The key will be retaining the loyalty of the existing player group.

No, matching or bettering Tommo's 2017 salary will be the key. While I don't expect Tommo to be on the same salary as Cogs or Smith, he wouldn't be on peanuts. We may have back ended his two year extension to take account of an increased cap in 2017; who knows.

Carlton has already taken a slice of the Giants salary cap when it took Lamb this year, they may also need to take on Tommo.

No, matching or bettering Tommo's 2017 salary will be the key. While I don't expect Tommo to be on the same salary as Cogs or Smith, he wouldn't be on peanuts. We may have back ended his two year extension to take account of an increased cap in 2017; who knows.

Carlton has already taken a slice of the Giants salary cap when it took Lamb this year, they may also need to take on Tommo.

Money is a major part of how you maintain the loyalty of professionals - that and keeping advancing their career.

Therefore, for us to have the money to keep the loyalty of, say, Hopper, then we need to move Tomlinson's salary.

Money is a major part of how you maintain the loyalty of professionals - that and keeping advancing their career.

Therefore, for us to have the money to keep the loyalty of, say, Hopper, then we need to move Tomlinson's salary.

Undoubtedly, and that's why it's not just points, it's Tommo's 2017 salary. Just as anyone wanting WHE or Patton needs to factor their 2017 salary in as well, because the Club would require that as part of any trade.

Tommo is actually on very good coin. Club would be happy to take his salary off our books but only if he wants to leave

Realistically, unless others depart or he accepts he'll be the super-utility, Tommo won't be playing top level in his favoured position at GWS. It's a shame.

He is difficult to value, was taken with pick 4, was about to debut when injured, not sure he'd be traded but if he was hard to see it being for less than a 1st rounder
That's what I was thinking. The club probably wouldn't trade it but would you entertain our 1st this year for both Pickett and McCarthy? Maybe chuck in our 2nd/3rd 2017 if not to even it up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you guys trade Stevie J for Hawkins and Lincoln McCarthy?
:D

I've heard Selwood's on the way out after Danger's recruitment, so throw him in as steak knives and we have a deal!

Hi guys. Would you do Patton for Pick 19?
Patton's season was always going to go one of two ways.

1) struggles with injury and form, not regular AFL. Think Gumbleton, Fitzgerald.

Delist and try again at Vic club.

2) consolidates his spot. Improves every week. Now he is an established 22 yo key forward ready to take next step after a sometimes challenging first few years.

Untradeable. Ok maybe for a top 5 pick.

At this point the signs are that he is heading towards being a very good KPP.

Must keep.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Trade Hypotheticals (opposition posters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back