Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Option A please.

Much prefer the roll of the dice on the bont/crippa type build to pair with taranto and hopper then ending up with another dow.
I think the issue with Dow is that he 100% cannot play any other position on the ground and that's what sucks and is his biggest downfall. When you have a better talent in the team and pressuring your spot, if you can't reinvent yourself to get yourself into the best 22 you're in trouble.

I get the same vibe. Not playing style wise, moreso leadership and standing up in important moments Cotchin like. Could well be a captain of a club by the time he’s 21.. keen to watch him in the VFL. I feel he will outperform Dow, Sonsie and others we have tried in the centre. Better Footy IQ than most and runs hard to impact each contest. - Daicos like..
if big boy snack pack continue to dominate the ruck in vfl
then jigga smith could have a field day

Draftees should have a better forward line coach

ASSISTANT COACH UNCERTAINTY

RICHMOND assistant coach David Teague's future at Punt Road is unclear as the Tigers head towards the end of their season.

The former Carlton head coach is out of contract at the Tigers having been alongside new coach Adem Yze in his first season at the helm.

Assistant coaches around the competition are reaching the point of the season where clubs give them indications on their futures, with significant change in the coaching ranks last off-season.

Teague joined Richmond at the end of 2021 after two and a half seasons as Carlton's senior coach, having taken on the role after a long apprenticeship as an assistant coach at four clubs.

Yze and Richmond added two assistants at the end of last season, with former Tigers skipper Chris Newman and ex-North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell joining its coaching panel.

Clubs informally tend to give notice to assistant coaches by the start of August on their plans for the following season. – Callum Twomey
piss of truck and teague

As I said previously I don't think any of them actually leave, Baker being the most likely to though.

But it does show how taking an aggressive mindset to the trade period could work if those players were to come to the club in September and say I'm done please trade me

I can see Baker leaving and also Rioli as there would be the pull from his partner to move to Gold Coast given she works up there a lot.

Baker for a pick in the teens and Rioli hopefully we could do for picks 7 and 8 if we give them the pick in the teens and a future pick or later picks.

If we hit the draft with 1,7,8,21 and then used those later picks to get a combination of future picks or another pick in the 30 range it would be a great outcome.

Can see us drafting in about 6 this year so we'd need to make room and given they'll be a combo of mids/KPFs coming in think some combo of the below will be finished:

Grimes
Graham
Dusty
Gray
Smith
Collina
Coultard
Cumberland
Naismith

Need to open up spots for those kids straight away so they can develop in positions they've been drafted for rather than us always trying to fit them in other positions and stunting their development

I can see Baker leaving and also Rioli as there would be the pull from his partner to move to Gold Coast given she works up there a lot.

Baker for a pick in the teens and Rioli hopefully we could do for picks 7 and 8 if we give them the pick in the teens and a future pick or later picks.

If we hit the draft with 1,7,8,21 and then used those later picks to get a combination of future picks or another pick in the 30 range it would be a great outcome.

Can see us drafting in about 6 this year so we'd need to make room and given they'll be a combo of mids/KPFs coming in think some combo of the below will be finished:

Grimes
Graham
Dusty
Gray
Smith
Collina
Coultard
Cumberland
Naismith

Need to open up spots for those kids straight away so they can develop in positions they've been drafted for rather than us always trying to fit them in other positions and stunting their development
Baker definitely feels gone. Rioli GC definitely going to come hard.

I think the first 3 and bottom 4 of your list will be gone. Gray and Smith will survive. Graham more hope that he takes a good FA offer.

There’s no Harley Reid but no duds either as clubs drool over draft pool

Three club recruiters this masthead spoke to said the No.1 pick – long considered to be Vic Country midfielder Finn O’Sullivan or Vic Metro hybrid Josh Smillie – is not as cut and dried in 2024 as it was last season. O’Sullivan remains highly touted, but he battled for form in the under-18 national championships after returning from injury, while the big-bodied Smillie – who looks like a younger version of Hawthorn’s Josh Weddle – has admirers.

The three recruiters consider a range of prospects – such as O’Sullivan, Smillie, Jagga Smith, Sam Lalor, Murphy Reid, South Australian Sid Draper, and Lions father-son Levi Ashcroft – as worthy top picks, while talls such as Harry Armstrong and Luke Trainor (who has family connections to North Melbourne) shot up the charts after impressive displays in the classic Vic Metro v Vic Country clash at Marvel Stadium on Sunday.

jagga.jpg

I appreciate the important draft capital we get in a rebuild from trading Rioli, but given his family connection and mentoring role , doesn’t that mean we also likely lose MRJ? Not sure of his contractual situation but I thought Maurice made huge progress this year until his injury.

List changes IMO

Gone
Grimes
Naismith
Cumberland
Coulthard
Colina

Probably Gone
Baker
Dusty
Graham

Less likely
D Rioli
Prestia
Bolton
McIntosh
Pickett
Dow
I think that's pretty accurate.

Dusty tough to predict.

I think Prestia and Bolton are absolutely at Richmond next year too.

One of KMac and Pickett could well be gone.

Dow probably gets 1 more but with it being a midfielders draft could see them giving him the ass too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s no Harley Reid but no duds either as clubs drool over draft pool

Three club recruiters this masthead spoke to said the No.1 pick – long considered to be Vic Country midfielder Finn O’Sullivan or Vic Metro hybrid Josh Smillie – is not as cut and dried in 2024 as it was last season. O’Sullivan remains highly touted, but he battled for form in the under-18 national championships after returning from injury, while the big-bodied Smillie – who looks like a younger version of Hawthorn’s Josh Weddle – has admirers.

The three recruiters consider a range of prospects – such as O’Sullivan, Smillie, Jagga Smith, Sam Lalor, Murphy Reid, South Australian Sid Draper, and Lions father-son Levi Ashcroft – as worthy top picks, while talls such as Harry Armstrong and Luke Trainor (who has family connections to North Melbourne) shot up the charts after impressive displays in the classic Vic Metro v Vic Country clash at Marvel Stadium on Sunday.

View attachment 2053073
Where'd you get this from?

Just gotta scroll down in article. I edited and added in link in my above post
The whole article is interesting for us. We really are back in 2004 when Ottens bailed and had the 5 picks inside 20. Think we likely have 5 inside 25 this year if Graham and Baker both leave. More (7?) if Rioli bails (we would need to shift a couple to next year if that happened)

Better draft this time and we killed 2006/7/9. Let's hope we don't have a 2005/8 draft in between and we can smoothly rebuild before Tassie.

The whole article is interesting for us. We really are back in 2004 when Ottens bailed and had the 5 picks inside 20. Think we likely have 5 inside 25 this year if Graham and Baker both leave. More (7?) if Rioli bails (we would need to shift a couple to next year if that happened)

Better draft this time and we killed 2006/7/9. Let's hope we don't have a 2005/8 draft in between and we can smoothly rebuild before Tassie.

I doubt the AFL changes the draft rules this year even though Kane alluded that they were looking into it, so all our later picks we should bundle for another first rounder for clubs needing points for FS/academy picks

I appreciate the important draft capital we get in a rebuild from trading Rioli, but given his family connection and mentoring role , doesn’t that mean we also likely lose MRJ? Not sure of his contractual situation but I thought Maurice made huge progress this year until his injury.
maurice is out of contract this year

I doubt the AFL changes the draft rules this year even though Kane alluded that they were looking into it, so all our later picks we should bundle for another first rounder for clubs needing points for FS/academy picks
Yeah we should have 1, 15 (Brissy) 21, 22 (Graham) plus whatever we get for Baker (say 23 & F2 for now as thats what they have) . If we got 8 & 20 for Rioli then I think 2 of 21, 22, 23 will be able to be moved for F1 picks given how keen teams are to move into this draft.

All of a sudden we've got 5 top 25's next year too and just our natural 2 in 2026 without losing anyone next 2 years. Add Kellaway, Leys and Tanner Armstrong and if Toce is any good we are well on our way back.

Whilst I agree there are differences and didn’t say he was as good, watching him in the Coates League I don’t think this is absolute accurate.

Jagga can be more of death by 50 cuts (possession) then high impact but he has that ability like he showed in the final to move that ball forward and hurt factor more.

I’m not willing to say he’s Daicos level yet, but he’s not worlds apart either.
I don't follow the juniors at all except on Big Footy but everything that is written about Jagger Smith seems to be an accurate description of Zach Merrett. If I'm getting a Zach Merrett clone, especially with Taranto and Hopper to do the really tough stuff, then I'm all in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back