Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is trading Baker Bolton & Daniel for say picks 7, 11, 12, 16 & 20 something that people would be happy with if it eventuated given the reports on Gettable today?

It would likely mean 1, 7, 11, 12, 16, 20 & 21 heading into the draft before we even worried about the rest of our picks, which could then be traded for 2025 picks.

It would no doubt mean some more pain next 2-3 seasons as the youth come through, but the rewards could be huge if we get it right.
I would if we have to, thats potentially 4 years of quality picks in one draft.

Last edited:
Is trading Baker Bolton & Daniel for say picks 7, 11, 12, 16 & 20 something that people would be happy with if it eventuated given the reports on Gettable today?

It would likely mean 1, 7, 11, 12, 16, 20 & 21 heading into the draft before we even worried about the rest of our picks, which could then be traded for 2025 picks.

It would no doubt mean some more pain next 2-3 seasons as the youth come through, but the rewards could be huge if we get it right.
Then we offer picks 1 & 11 (plus a late 2nd if necessary) to Weagles for Harley Reid. End up with Reid plus 4-5 early picks. What could go wrong???

I’d do it IF the players all want out. Sets us up for some pillaging of what is a very strong draft. Thing is, Norf went down this path but the thing they did that we aren’t, is that it left them bereft of decent experienced players.
Hawks have rebounded pretty quickly with no where near the draft capital we have had in ‘21 and are about to get this season too. A few years of pain will be worth it, assuming we nail most of the picks of course.

Selling low on all three players given the leverage we have.

Then we offer picks 1 & 11 (plus a late 2nd if necessary) to Weagles for Harley Reid. End up with Reid plus 4-5 early picks. What could go wrong???
Nah I've already got in my head he's coming to us PSD 2026 if they **** us on Baker.

If Baker chooses Freo I'm still all for taking it out on the Eagles anyway.

Shai Bolton will reportedly "pursue" a move back to his home state of Western Australia in the upcoming trade period despite having another four years on his current deal. (via Zero Hanger)

Cal Twomey believes there is every chance that the Tigers could let go of the 25-year-old to cash in on a host of high selections to assist in rebuilding the club.

"Freo is still chasing him," Twomey said on Gettable. "And he wants to get back to Western Australia. He will pursue this.

"Four years to run on his deal, but the Tigers, again, are in control of this one.

"But the Dockers have picks. It comes down to this big call: Do you do it now while the club that he might want to get to has the selections to appease?

"And is that appealing enough to make it happen? How deep do you cut?

"That is still a watch."

Richmond has the power to let him go but given Bolton is still under contract, they are entitled to hold him at Punt Road until it expires.

The trade speculation comes as Gold Coast is still waiting to pounce on half-back Daniel Rioli, who like Bolton, is also under contract.

It was reported that the Suns are willing to offer two first-round picks to lure Rioli north.

Tigers teammate Liam Baker is also weighing up a move home to Western Australia, with both the Dockers and Eagles coming hard for Richmond's vice-captain.

If Richmond were to see all three players depart, they could hold up to six first-round selections for the 2024 National Draft.

Selling low on all three players given the leverage we have.
If they want out we lose a little leverage and gaining 5 first round picks would be unheard in 1 trade period

Yes not going to hold someone that doesn't want to be there if we get compensated adequately.

I'd prefer not to lose all 3 and potentially Graham all in 1 year- that's a hell of a lot experience and culture gone in 1 year when added to Grimes and maybe even Dusty finishing.

If we did let all 3 go, they're contracted so we should be getting picks over this years draft and next and ideally getting another top 5 pick

Thinking further about the potential loss of Baker Bolton & Daniel, it would tie in with the club reportedly being keen to re-sign the likes of Prestia Graham McIntosh and having already signed the likes of Ralphsmith Ryan Mansell Miller Nankervis. It would allow us to have that experienced core to build around while the kids developed.

I'd want the earlier of their firsts, but if a Lombard bid is likely to come after it they may not want to give it.
A Lombard bid should come from pick 2 onwards.

Yes and his game at SA recently showed he’s going to develop into a beast.
A ruckman.

32 touches is wild though.
Way too many for a ruckman. Get out of the way.

Earlier first rounder or they can go jump. Don’t they have pick 8 or something?

EDIT: Pick 6 currently. 6 & 20 minimum if that holds
6 & 11 or GAGF

Bolton want to go to Freo according to Twomey. They will push hard and he will push hard.

Which means, Freo with their bounty of picks is a very real chance for Bolton and Baker.
We'll take all the picks.

So you're doing Baker and Bolton for 7, 12 & 16. Which after Lombard, Ashcroft, Battle, possibly Kako, could end up 10, 16, 20. Baker's worth at least pick 16 on his own. Bolton is worth more than 10 and 20. Pay up, Freo. Do you want to win a flag or not, you purple perennial losers? The iron is hot, are you going to strike? 7(10), 12(16), 16(20), and...?

Rioli for 11 and 20, if that's their starting point we at least get them to 6 and 20, if not 6 and 11.

I’d do it IF the players all want out. Sets us up for some pillaging of what is a very strong draft. Thing is, Norf went down this path but the thing they did that we aren’t, is that it left them bereft of decent experienced players.
Hawks have rebounded pretty quickly with no where near the draft capital we have had in ‘21 and are about to get this season too. A few years of pain will be worth it, assuming we nail most of the picks of course.
Few months ago I would have peeled myself off the ceiling at the thought , ff to now and we’re at a pretty low ebb and that’s with rioli Bolton and baker playing ea week . Trade out assets to get that 5 pics in top 20 ,,, any more trades than that should be to compliment next years haul , this creates a really good foundation to re build . 7-10 r1 s is what you need to create that core of talent that swings the momentum forward , this year is part 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking further about the potential loss of Baker Bolton & Daniel, it would tie in with the club reportedly being keen to re-sign the likes of Prestia Graham McIntosh and having already signed the likes of Ralphsmith Ryan Mansell Miller Nankervis. It would allow us to have that experienced core to build around while the kids developed.
Dunno about JG in fact yes I do , don’t re sign him . Prestia def yes , he’s a qty person and when on the park elite . JG good bloke but nowhere near elite . We will have so many young players we need TT hopper Ross and pres to shoulder the load

On the herald sun footy podcast, they said rival recruiters believe Josh Smillie and Sam Lalor are in the mix for pick 1 if Richmond end up with the selection also mentioned Jagga smith as a candidate and highlighted his VFL form.

On the herald sun footy podcast, they said rival recruiters believe Josh Smillie and Sam Lalor are in the mix for pick 1 if Richmond end up with the selection also mentioned Jagga smith as a candidate and highlighted his VFL form.
Hope they don’t discount FOS. Clearly extremely hampered by ailments this season. Still time for him to shine but broken finger still strapped in his interview today on Gettable. Said it’s effected his marking but surely his ball handling capabilities too?

Toce looking for the home run with pick #1.

Where would one listen to this?

I've become resigned to losing Baker, but IMO losing Bolton and Rioli (obviously rumour at this stage) would be a big blow IMO. I can live with losing 1 and could cop losing 2 but all three, we are talking about probably 3 of our most talented 5 players.

I understand we need top end talent to come in, that much is very clear. But we've seen time and time again shipping off your best and experienced players can lead to a cycle of heavy losses and severely damage the culture of the club. Teams end up chasing their tails for years and years when they get rid of too many senior players at once. It's a risk, and it's all good and well to sit here and say yep we'll take picks 7, 12 and 19 for Shai and Baker but it's not that simple.

The draft is a lottery, there are no guarantees that form translates from under 18's to senior level. Professionalism, injuries and a range of other factors can impact how kids develop when they are in the AFL system. It just feels far too risky to put all our eggs in the one draft year basket. If Baker, Bolton and Rioli (I am still hopeful he remains at least) want to go, then you have to make the deals and play the hand you've been dealt. I am just wary of letting too much talent go at once and leaving all these kids with not much talent around them.

I would hope if we end up with all those picks, the club would trade some picks into next year's first round. Spread the picks and maximise our chances of landing A grade talent across a couple of drafts. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure no one club has completely nailed a draft and got their core of future flag teams in one draft. As previously cited, the core for our 17-20 dynasty was recruited over 3-4 drafts. I do know the Hawks nailed 04 (Buddy, Roughhead and Lewis) but I think that is more the exception, rather than the rule.

I would hope if we end up with all those picks, the club would trade some picks into next year's first round. Spread the picks and maximise our chances of landing A grade talent across a couple of drafts. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure no one club has completely nailed a draft and got their core of future flag teams in one draft. As previously cited, the core for our 17-20 dynasty was recruited over 3-4 drafts. I do know the Hawks nailed 04 (Buddy, Roughhead and Lewis) but I think that is more the exception, rather than the rule.
They'll definitely spread them. We won't take 8 or 9 top 20ish picks. Can't see us using more than 6 of those top end picks more likely 5 and maybe a late pick, psd pick and some rookies.

8ytq3v.jpg

If they want out we lose a little leverage and gaining 5 first round picks would be unheard in 1 trade period

If they didn't want out we wouldn't be possibly losing them.

So what? Losing 3 of your best 10 in one off season is also unheard off, need to adequately compensated for it otherwise we hold them to their contracts.

There’s now way anyone can predict who will and won’t be in our next flag.

Would you have said end of 2021 when Pies finished 17th Pendles (33yo) would be in their next flag?

Or when Cats were thumped by Demons in 2021 PF that Selwood and Hawkins would be in their next flag?

Or when Swans finished bottom 4 in each of 2019 and 2020, that 30yo Rampe would potentially be in their next flag?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Pies got to prelims and GFs with that same list

Cats have been great consistently forever

We aren’t that

And Swans keep choking

Sometimes you need to know when to hold them and when to fold them. We need to fold them like we did when we drafted Cotchin,Dusty,Rance and Riewoldt.

Not delude ourselves into thinking we can rebuild on the run and make another shitty Hopper trade. Building premiership lists take a lot of time and great players.

Realistically we won’t be contending for the next 5 years, I highly doubt we even make finals and by then Taranto will look like Santa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back