Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Regarding the Longer trade, does Hawthorn have still have pick 24? Could we threaten the Saints with that and ask for 18 or 19 instead of the 25 they r offering.

Is it really that bad guys? Besides Yeo we are losing depth. Yeah it sucks but we got some rookies looking good, Beams back next year and hopefully some good draft pick ups. So I say again is it really that bad loosing 5 players who do not want to be here?

If we draft well, we could even end up in a better situation to what we were in. We have a lot of top 30 picks, we should pick up a few guns. It's not as bad a situation as most think. At the end of the day we are only losing one player from our best 22 (Yeo), and are gaining a lot of second round picks, so it's really not that bad

What's to stop some prospective player this year from thinking, "sweet, 2 years in Brisbane and I can go home to the club I want"

Because they'll have to answer to me on Twitter.

As frustrating as all this I think it is important have a some faith in Kerr. He has selected some pretty handy players for us in the past and he has had zero leverage during this trade period.

Besides now we can start a new thread Operation BOOOOOOO!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because we lost one best 22 player?

Not just because we "lost one best 22 player" [your description, but in ordinary circumstances I'd put Karnezis and Longer in that category as well] but because we have very clearly laid out the path ahead for any interstate recruit wanting to go back to his close-knit family, or the club he always barracked for as a kid. Whatever.

I can't recall the precise details, but didn't we knock back an offer last year or the year before for Polec in trading for Tippett? That worked out well. And if I can work out in one 10 minute pre-season conversation with him that he is orf asap, I reckon anyone could.

I just don't have any confidence whatsoever that our recruitment process is guided by any coherent strategy with intelligent minds underpinning our approach. Maybe I'm completely wrong as per, but the evidence suggest otherwise.

So what if we draft the best in the land? How long will they be here, that's the question.

I think we all agreed that this trade period was all about damage limitation.

I think Rob Kerr has been in a very weak position and has done a great job all things considered. He has certainly left nothing to chance.

We also have a tonne on second rounders to improve our position further tomorrow

Not just because we "lost one best 22 player" [your description, but in ordinary circumstances I'd put Karnezis and Longer in that category as well] but because we have very clearly laid out the path ahead for any interstate recruit wanting to go back to his close-knit family, or the club he always barracked for as a kid. Whatever.

I can't recall the precise details, but didn't we knock back an offer last year or the year before for Polec in trading for Tippett? That worked out well. And if I can work out in one 10 minute pre-season conversation with him that he is orf asap, I reckon anyone could.

I just don't have any confidence whatsoever that our recruitment process is guided by any coherent strategy with intelligent minds underpinning our approach. Maybe I'm completely wrong as per, but the evidence suggest otherwise.

So what if we draft the best in the land? How long will they be here, that's the question.
Drawing a long bow to say that we'll be bottom of the table in 2 years because of these 5 leaving, Tassie.

Drawing a long bow to say that we'll be bottom 2 next year because of these 5 leaving, Tassie.

I'm not saying we'll be bottom 2, we have too much talent for that, but I'd be willing to bet we won't be top 2.

My concern isn't so much what Kerr has agreed to in this current process, but the precedent he has established.

So... if I'm reading this correctly, it's you we ought to be pointing the finger at for either;
  1. not talking him out of it,
  2. or that the conversation with you made up his mind to leave.
:eek: ;)

I'm not saying we'll be bottom 2, we have too much talent for that, but I'd be willing to bet we won't be top 2.

My concern isn't so much what Kerr has agreed to in this current process, but the precedent he has established.
Yeah but the guy that I was replying to with my first post said that we would. That's what I'm saying Tassie.

my take on all this is that not one of the trades that happened today has surprised on the up side. Its hard to see Longer trade surprising on the up side.

The Polec trade has become a complex web that hasn't netted us much more than Pick 23 which Adelaide were supposedly offering. I'd rather have given Adelaide Polec and 29 then be part of a trade that gives GWS pick 14.

Doch and Yeo were as speculated since the first week of the trade period.

Not good enough. The whole club is a laughing stock from board level down.

I doubt we're sitting on our hands in this manner. Either we have a plan to target the pull factors encouraging players to leave in future seasons or Kerr is about to quit.

Well they say that hindsight is 20/20, there was no way we could have predicted that circumstance 2 seasons ago, pointless worrying about that now.

We need to remember that our best/top free agents this season have pretty much all resigned (Leuenberger, Rich, Hanley, ect), whislt Yeo is a painful loss I say good ridance to the others that are leaving. It's funny how those players could see a positive future with the lions and the fringe players couldn't, I don't know about you but I know which players judgement I'd trust in this situation.

With the additional AFL funding next season, our player management strategy should improve ten fold, highly doubt the club will view this as a one off aberation.

Things will look better soon enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Talk 2013 - Yeo, Doc, Polec, Karnezis, Longer gone - Welcome Paine, West, Magwon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back