Trade Week Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep and you just need a forward who can put it on the board.

I felt for Gold Coast a number of times where they just couldnt convert midfield dominance. You guys could win quarters in general play with that midfield but it gets demoralising to the detriment of the work rate if its not put on the board.

Agree completely mate, you can have the one of the best midfields in the comp but it means diddly squat if your fwds are too young and inexperienced to convert. I'm hoping the Suns take a Matty Bate and/or Lynden Dunn to float across the half forward line and offer some experience next season. Not a lot of experienced fwds on the market this year... Just defenders galore... Gram, Toovey, Warnock, McGuane, etc. Just shows you how valuable and rare strong key forwards are these days. GWS really do need to snare a cpl experienced fwds this week or it's going to be a long season for them, just like us this year.

If the O'Meara trade is blocked (rumored). Then maybe the Dogs will offer him along with their Band 2 compo for Crouch? But I can't see us going out of their way for him

What are peoples thoughts on The Giants attempting to acquire both Jason Gram and Tom Lynch from St.Kilda.

Not sure what would be offered in return.

Agree completely mate, you can have the one of the best midfields in the comp but it means diddly squat if your fwds are too young and inexperienced to convert. I'm hoping the Suns take a Matty Bate and/or Lynden Dunn to float across the half forward line and offer some experience next season. Not a lot of experienced fwds on the market this year... Just defenders galore... Gram, Toovey, Warnock, McGuane, etc. Just shows you how valuable and rare strong key forwards are these days. GWS really do need to snare a cpl experienced fwds this week or it's going to be a long season for them, just like us this year.

A number of games I thought you could have won or at least put the team under the pump if you had a marking forward. Would have been exciting to watch and the kids would have really lifted seeing it go on the scoreboard.

Melbourne and StKilda games spring to mind and there would be others. Todd Viney may have been the first caretaker coach sacked.

In those games you had a real chance to put them to the blade but a combination of unable to find a marking target or missing gettable shots. Would have been a massive boost to your team to get those games and GWS should take note.

Well the deal was blocked but it was confirmed we could somehow end up with the MDP #1. But we have to genuinely have to on trade it in seperate deals to get it back.

I'm starting to think we'd be better off just trying to get Pick #4 and First Round Compo pick off GC or the Scully Compensation Picks and a player off Melbourne for Jag O'Meara.

Ashcroft said on Trade Week Radio that their original offer stands (I Presume it's Pick #4 and a shit pick).

SOS up in a few mins on Trade Week Radio
---
Nope rushed into a meeting...something must be happening. Will be on at 11am instead now. Apartently was just about to do the interview too but he dropped everything and rushed off very quickly
---
Still in that meeting...
---
Bloody long meeting. Shit must be going down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS Giants Gain:
*Pick #4
*Middle of First Round Compensation Pick

Gold Coast Suns Gain:
*Mini Draft Pick #1 (Jag O'Meara)
*Pick #31

Happy with that! Very good trade for us

So far. Could still get Pick 10 off Adelaide for MD Pick 2. BTW, don't think I've posted on here before. Bought my foundation membership, and I'm on board. Been posting a lot on GWS' Facebook page, but there's a lack of knowledge there. Good to be on board! Love your passion GF!

too bad its not the 2001 superdraft!

you could have picked up Ball, Judd, Hodge, Bartel, Dal santo, Kelly, Stevie J, Mitchell, Montagna, Dane Swan, Lake

you can only hope you get something close to this

that's an impressive list of picks. v.happy with them - I don't lke the look of our salary cap in 3 or 4 years time though.

Explain. In 3/4 years time all the expirenced guys now like Scully, Ward, etc (plus next years signings) will be earning very little per year because we would have paided out most of their contracts in the first few years when the rookies are all on base contracts.

We'll have lots of room, let's remember that not every kid will be a Judd...we will select a few duds, it's inevitable with this many picks. But that said hopefully most of the the picks will be good solid players/stars.

Explain. In 3/4 years time all the expirenced guys now like Scully, Ward, etc (plus next years signings) will be earning very little per year because we would have paided out most of their contracts in the first few years when the rookies are all on base contracts.

We'll have lots of room, let's remember that not every kid will be a Judd...we will select a few duds, it's inevitable with this many picks. But that said hopefully most of the the picks will be good solid players/stars.

In 3/4 years the Scully/Ward type players wont get contracts to match their current ones, but they will be in the prime of their careers so would be expecting market rate deals.

In 3/4 years time all of the young kids you select with high draft picks will be 21/22 so looking at moving from the standard rookie contracts (less than 100K per head) onto rates in line with their ability so most would be looking to push to 250K to 300K, stars would be looking at more. It wont take many of these to chew up the money you save across the initial signings.

To say you wont have salary cap pressure is naive.

In 3/4 years the Scully/Ward type players wont get contracts to match their current ones, but they will be in the prime of their careers so would be expecting market rate deals.

In 3/4 years time all of the young kids you select with high draft picks will be 21/22 so looking at moving from the standard rookie contracts (less than 100K per head) onto rates in line with their ability so most would be looking to push to 250K to 300K, stars would be looking at more. It wont take many of these to chew up the money you save across the initial signings.

To say you wont have salary cap pressure is naive.

Scully = 6 Years
Ward = 5 Years
Palmer = 4 Years
Can't remember the legnth of Davis' contract of the top of my head, but it is a similar length.

And they'll aware of that. But they do know no club will offer them something like their first Giants contract ever again unless one does turn out to be a Judd.

---------------------------------_
Thing is to remember not every kid will turn out to be a star and asking for 500K a season. We will have a few duds (Some might just not fit in. So I suspect other clubs will take the ones they see potential in)/few okay players/few solid players/few gun players.

The expirenced players have contracts HEAVILY front loaded in the first few years while the rookies get rookie based contract. When the rookies start asking for money we will have pretty much paided all of the expirenced guys contracts in the first few years, so we will have 95% (Nothing exact, lol, but it will be a rather high number) of the cap ready for their demands. And we've got salary cap concessions aswell. So with all that considered, we should be able to hold onto most of out kids. We will loose 1 or 2 no doubt, but we're not going to loose to much at all.

Would our Ward combo pick + Sam Reid be enough to the 3rd pick in the mini-draft + a pick 25?

Think we're looking to trade only 2 picks this year. Pick #25 asking too much though. We'd have to consider Middle of First Round Compo + Reid for 3rd Mini draft pick though

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Week Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back