Trades that left you speechless

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would it leave anyone with a disgusting taste in their mouth? Deledio was a brilliant player for us and he still is a brilliant player, I wish him best of luck at his new club. Granted when we play the Giants I'll be booing him allll game!
It does for me mainly because I hate seeing loyal servants of clubs end up in different colours. It just rubs me the wrong way....There is no doubting your comment though, he was a brilliant player-you guys might struggle without him though.

that weird one at the end with carlton giving up a future second for 3 random hawthorn picks that they probably won't even use. Something fishy went on there.. bolts doing his old team a favor

Just for the record.

The Hawks paid 48, 66, 70 (equivalent pick #41) using the calculator
https://www.draftguru.com.au/pick-value-calculator

They received the GWS second rounders (you would expect this to be pick #33 to 36).

So there isn't a huge difference.

Compare this to receiving pick #10 from the Saints where the best case has the Hawks losing at least value of pick #22.

Although this was necessary due to crazy Cochrane and the need to have insurance for the National Draft.

IMO any trade of a player for a 70+ draft pick in this trade period is effectively a salary dump for the original club, and a round-about way to get the player to another club, and free up salary without having to buy out their contract or for them to be a free agent. If the player really wants a change of scenery, or the club wants the list spot and cap space (to be able to sign free agents or use live draft picks), and great offers aren't really forthcoming, then sometimes it's just a "take what you can get" to get the deal done (eg. Marley Williams).
Not true. Each club has to make 3 picks... The hawks first pick is the 88 they got for Mitchell... lol

Deledio's move to GWS has left me with a disgusting taste in my mouth...

Just out of curiosity, why?

Seems from the posts on both our board and the Richmond board, Richmond fans have handled the whole thing with class and pretty much just wish Lids all the best. So I wonder why his trade left you with such a disgusting taste in your mouth.

Overreaction much?

that weird one at the end with carlton giving up a future second for 3 random hawthorn picks that they probably won't even use. Something fishy went on there.. bolts doing his old team a favor
I just realised we stuffed Essendon over by allowing Hawks to trade for Omeara. Sweet BONUS!

Hawthorn's trading in 2016 could pay off but if it doesn't then Hawthorn are in quite a bit of trouble as they have sold the farm for the next 2 years on O'Meara and Mitchell.

Wouldn't O'Meara and Mitchell potentially be more useful to them over the next 2-10 years than some mid-range draft picks that may not even pan out, and will be at least 5 years away from even entering their prime as footballers if they do turn out decently?

Wouldn't O'Meara and Mitchell potentially be more useful to them over the next 2-10 years than some mid-range draft picks that may not even pan out, and will be at least 5 years away from even entering their prime as footballers if they do turn out decently?

Potentially yes. The problem is though that if O'Meara goes down, they have essentially traded away all their picks in 2016 and all their good picks in 2017 for Tom Mitchell.

Potentially yes. The problem is though that if O'Meara goes down, they have essentially traded away all their picks in 2016 and all their good picks in 2017 for Tom Mitchell.
We have only lost our first rounder from 2017 we still have all the other picks.

If free agency wasn't around there is no way we would have done this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just realised we stuffed Essendon over by allowing Hawks to trade for Omeara. Sweet BONUS!

I mean, GCS were going to fold, they basically did anyway.

Let's say as predicted GWS finish first next year. That's pick 36 straight up. Let's account for FA moves too, so lets say it's pick 40.

Are we going to say GCS held this deal up, calling the hawks pick 10 + 48 offer a "low ball offer" then settle for 10 and basically pick 40? Nah, they folded.

It doesn't so much stuff us up, I just think the deal on Carltons end really weird.

Free Agency has changed things.

Previously you had rights to a player forever, now thats only for 8-10 years and you couldn't bring in anything without having currency in players and/or picks.

So we are seeing players basically given away to clear space.

Will be interesting to see if teams start trading in big expiring contracts so they can meet the cap floor and then have a huge dip at free agents.

e.g. a bottom side trades in Buddy for nothing in his last year or 2, not because they want him but because they can put 1.5 mil in their cap and know when he retires that money become available. Bring in 3 or 4 past it players on the last year of big contract and bingo you've got $3-4 to spend in FAs.

So just pretend we traded 32 for Naknervis and 46 for Hampson
It's taken him a long time to find his feet at AFL level and he's always a risk of injury but I thought Hampson was pretty good this year. Good enough to hold his own against most rucks and had the rest of the side improved he'd actually be taking over from Maric at a nice time now and Nankervis coming in as good back up who can give a bit forward if you need to play 2 rucks. Not saying the Hampson trade was good but you could do a lot worse.

Previously you had rights to a player forever, now thats only for 8-10 years and you couldn't bring in anything without having currency in players and/or picks.

Will be interesting to see if teams start trading in big expiring contracts so they can meet the cap floor and then have a huge dip at free agents.

e.g. a bottom side trades in Buddy for nothing in his last year or 2, not because they want him but because they can put 1.5 mil in their cap and know when he retires that money become available. Bring in 3 or 4 past it players on the last year of big contract and bingo you've got $3-4 to spend in FAs.
Not to the Buddy level but Palmer is an example of a team taking a player to free up cap and list space for another side. Carlton got Marchbank and Pickett for less to take him. I can't remember a team doing it to that extent before and if free agency becomes more popular then I agree it will happen more often and with bigger names.

The interesting part is how will the hawks get back into the first round next year and they have too, so a A grader will need to be traded and there will be no way around it.

Chris Dawes for pick 20.
You got that pick 20 (Kennedy) back last year for basically Toumpas as a small part of the Howe trade. What you can't get back is the years Dawes spent on your list, but it didn't work out as a win for us either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trades that left you speechless

Remove this Banner Ad

Back