Trades that left you speechless

Remove this Banner Ad

Lance to Swans.

Cmon people short memories! I know it's not technically a trade but speechless. We all thought either GWS or Hawks. Griffen/Boyd was crazier perhaps, but the fact that Buddy picked our biggest rival left me speechless.

Just out of curiosity, why?

Seems from the posts on both our board and the Richmond board, Richmond fans have handled the whole thing with class and pretty much just wish Lids all the best. So I wonder why his trade left you with such a disgusting taste in your mouth.

Overreaction much?
Just because everyone involved with the deal is happy with it, doesn't mean everyone uninvolved has to like it.

The Deledio trade to GWS was one of the least shocking trades from this trade period.

Richmond needed to offload one of their stars to get some better draft picks and at his age Deledio would want to go to a club like GWS which is in a premiership window, St Kilda did the same thing with Goddard and Dal Santo.

Mitchell and Lewis being traded to West Coast and Melbourne for peanuts were far more shocking trades.
Wasn't as much the shock factor as it was I just didn't like it. Mitchell's trade was far worse.

Hawthorn's trading in 2016 could pay off but if it doesn't then Hawthorn are in quite a bit of trouble as they have sold the farm for the next 2 years on O'Meara and Mitchell.
We did give up a lot of picks but this trade period has shown you can still recruit depth players, oldies and injured/struggling former top 30 draft picks with dud picks.

Not sure Deledio should leave anyone speechless. He has been a good player for the Tigers, twilight of his career, wanted to go for a flag (Tigers miles off) and they got a first and third round pick for him.

Compare that to Sam Mitchell. In the top 3-5 players the club has ever had, been part of 4 premierships (1 as captain), just won the B&F, top 10-20 player in the comp still, was shocked to be asked if he wanted to go, could have been part of 1 final assault on the flag (with good players joining) and gets traded for pick 88 while Hawthorn contribute part of his salary - WTF??

Hell, even the Jordy Lewis trade (basically for free, same age and form line as Deledio) or the Saints pick swap (2 2nd rounders for free, I kept thinking a subsequent trade would make this make sense) were strange but none like the Mitchell trade.

In 6 of Richmond's 8 wins this year, Deledio was playing. His win-loss ratio this year was actually positively skewed (6-5), don't think many Tigers could say that. He was a pretty important player for Richmond. Sam Mitchell's career is pretty much over at this point, his 34 and would be lucky to play in 2018, whereas Deledio is 29 and would be unlucky to not be playing in 2019. I think some people undermine the weight of Deledio's move a little bit, yes he severed his club well and left on okay terms, but his old side could struggle without him next year (which history shows they always do), if Prestia doesn't perform.

But yes the circumstances in which Mitchell left were shocking to say the least, there is no arguing that. It wasn't at all a dignified way for someone whose given his heart and soul to his club to be given his farwells. A premiership captain traded off for pick 88, that's really sad. Jordan Lewis was almost as shocking, not sure many people were picturing him in red and blue a couple of weeks ago.

Sam Mitchell I know is smart long term, but geez... He will be a good get for west coast. Pretty much guarantees no tags for Gaff and Shuey, and loves subi. Eagles are a big chance assuming Nic Nat comes back mid-late season

Thought Hawthorn making a play for Vickery was weirder than getting rid off Mitchell.

Vickery is shit.
Most Hawks fans are excited about Vickery, he will get 45+ next year IMO he's a fantastic shot at goal. What is questionable is his mentality but I think he will relish being at hawthorn.

So what was Scully traded for again? Odd example to kick off the thread.

Rhys Palmer for pick 135 is probably the coolest trade this year. Last year the final pick in the draft was 70. As it stands GWS have 14 picks in the draft before pick 135. They will probably use the first 3 or 4 then maybe some of the 5 they have in the 50s if there are academy kids to bid on (IIRC there are no touted stars this year). Personally I hope the trend continues and next year we see a player traded for pick 200. GWS could not use pick 135 without de-listing another half a dozen or so players so it's not like the AFL can say they gave up a pick they could theoretically use. How cool would it have been if Boomer played on and North traded him for pick 432?

The pick swap trades not involving NSW/Qld clubs baffle me. Carlton may not have lost out by that much under the AFL's made up points system but who the **** wants picks 48, 66 and 70 when you can have pick 30 odd? Carlton currently have 3 senior list spots and 0 rookie list spots available without further de-listings. Once you start getting into the 60s and 70s it's mostly rookie elevations and passes anyway.

The Saints/Hawks trade raised eyebrows, but it made sense given Hawthorn were desperate to have some decent currency to give for O'Meara and St Kilda unlike Carlton weren't going to help them for the sake of it. What Gold Coast ended up accepting vs what Hawthorn gave up to get to that point makes the mind boggle. Gold Coast should've taken Hawthorn's 2017 first round pick + 23 + 36 themselves and used their stash of picks in the 20s to try and get into next year's draft as early as possible.

Lynden Dunn for a pick swap from 47 to 51 looks funny when Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis, Travis Cloke were given away for less. Feels like there are more players being given away for nothing as clubs value salary cap space more highly than even. What's also funny is that when everyone thought Sam Mitchell was being given away for nothing pick 88 will be Hawthorn's first in the draft so will actually be used.

He's kicked more than 30 in season twice. What makes you think he'll kick 45 for Hawthorn?
Should play every week and I am optimistically predicting he'll be able to average 2 goals a game being our primary forward target (Roughead pending). Alot of it is everyone thinking he is a fail I've never really liked the guy but I do think he has potential at hawthorn, time will tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did the hawks throw away the chance to get Jarman?

Jarman is yet to nominate a club and is considered likely to be bid on third round at best. If he nominates Hawthorn we can take him by going into deficit if we feel he is worth it.
My feeling is if the Crows are interested he will nominate them as the Jarmans all seem to be very parochial. If the Crows are indifferent he will nominate the Hawks.

Just because everyone involved with the deal is happy with it, doesn't mean everyone uninvolved has to like it.

I get that. That's fine.

But you haven't answered my question. What specifically about this particular trade has left you with a disgusting taste in your mouth?

You started a whole thread based on this taste in your mouth, created by this trade. Pretty strong stuff. And I'm still curious as to why.

Jarman is yet to nominate a club and is considered likely to be bid on third round at best. If he nominates Hawthorn we can take him by going into deficit if we feel he is worth it.
My feeling is if the Crows are interested he will nominate them as the Jarmans all seem to be very parochial. If the Crows are indifferent he will nominate the Hawks.
So how would they make up the points if the hawks take him?

The pick swap trades not involving NSW/Qld clubs baffle me. Carlton may not have lost out by that much under the AFL's made up points system but who the **** wants picks 48, 66 and 70 when you can have pick 30 odd? Carlton currently have 3 senior list spots and 0 rookie list spots available without further de-listings. Once you start getting into the 60s and 70s it's mostly rookie elevations and passes anyway.
They're in different drafts though. Perhaps we rate pick 48 in 2016 higher than pick ~35 next year based on the available talent?

I am completely dumbfounded by what the Hawks did to Mitchell and Lewis, basically shoving premiership legends who are still very valuable contributors out the door for nothing. It's the type of 'trades' that can destroy the culture and spirit of a footy club. It's something that is hard to manufacture but very easy to destroy. Will be interested to see at how it all pans out at Hawthorn.
I personally think this trend of clearing out salary cap space to land the 'big fish' or the 'gun free agent' next year etc is asking for trouble.
I keep hearing this, but I'm still wondering how they were pushed out
All parties have said they were given the option of one last pay-day at another club, or staying on at the Hawks

Both players went to their destination despite what would have benefited hawthorn (Lewis to GC for example)

What breaks a culture is what hawthorn did to Rawlings in 2001, by refusing to deal with the kangaroos, and instead facilitating a trade involving the Bulldogs

It did set the club back

Remove this Banner Ad

Trades that left you speechless

Remove this Banner Ad

Back