Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t have any particular attachment to Jan 26 and frankly I’m a bit wary of flag waving patriot types … patriotism being the last refuge of the scoundrel and all that. This is more a wariness about the misuse of patriotism by politicians (think politicians glorifying Anzac Day but not giving a toss about returned veterans etc).
If Jan 26 was the only day that Australia Day was celebrated on then those resisting change would have a slightly stronger argument but… IMG_2984.png IMG_2983.png

I don’t have any particular attachment to Jan 26 and frankly I’m a bit wary of flag waving patriot types … patriotism being the last refuge of the scoundrel and all that. This is more a wariness about the misuse of patriotism by politicians (think politicians glorifying Anzac Day but not giving a toss about returned veterans etc).
If Jan 26 was the only day that Australia Day was celebrated on then those resisting change would have a slightly stronger argument but…View attachment 1893187View attachment 1893188
Out of curiosity what date was Australia Day on in 1969? :stern look

Out of curiosity what date was Australia Day on in 1969? :stern look
Im curious as to what serial non-poster Onip thinks of the Powell/Phillips situation.

:sternest of looks.

I don’t know. I just didn’t really agree with the tone that started with Jy telling us it’s not a date to celebrate and what the date should be used for. I think with so many diverse groups and interpretations, it’s a bit harsh to tell people how they should interpret the day and what it should be used for.
And I’m ok with changing the day if that appeases the masses.

I also think Powell can be an instant replacement for whatever role Cunnington had for the past decade.
And some of these players remind me of the guys we had around.

Powell - Ben10
Wardlaw - jz type of crash impact
Willphil - boomer
Sheezel - wells
Colby - Higgins

Branden George - Kieran Harper/ Taylor Garner ☹️

Just another little aside from today. Over the years we have all felt sorry for Nick larkey at times (often). Some of the delivery he gets or the bad decisions not to get it into him sooner have caused him to blow up and us to vent.

You have never seen a bloke look so dejected from bad delivery as larks today. And I don’t mean that he was being a baby. I mean it was the bad.

Not only could his team mates not hit him up on a lead in space, it was dropping 20 meters short into the wind or 20 meters over his head with the wind. He looked like he was going to cry, and if he started I would have probably joined in. Then the rest of those there.

He wasn’t afraid to tell his teammates at least

He looked a lot quicker than what we’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Both he and Phillips put space between themselves and the warlord out of stoppage on several occasions.

Phillips looked like he runs a 2:9something bursting out of centre clearances for the first clearance in each of the first 3 qrts

Just another little aside from today. Over the years we have all felt sorry for Nick larkey at times (often). Some of the delivery he gets or the bad decisions not to get it into him sooner have caused him to blow up and us to vent.

You have never seen a bloke look so dejected from bad delivery as larks today. And I don’t mean that he was being a baby. I mean it was the bad.

Not only could his team mates not hit him up on a lead in space, it was dropping 20 meters short into the wind or 20 meters over his head with the wind. He looked like he was going to cry, and if he started I would have probably joined in. Then the rest of those there.

He wasn’t afraid to tell his teammates at least
A lot of inside 50s was with real high kicks - not real good on a windy day.

If Jan 26 was the only day that Australia Day was celebrated on then those resisting change would have a slightly stronger argument but…View attachment 1893187View attachment 1893188
Nothing to do with Australia Day. These items were sold for WW1 soldier war chest fund raising.

Im curious as to what serial non-poster Onip thinks of the Powell/Phillips situation.

:sternest of looks.
The twit has been lining up for PowerBall tickets since 6am this morning, wearing a Hansen Jr signed jumper.
I can say he is sleeping easy knowing he is playing the Power Hit so he’ll never win 2nd Division.
And yes, he has a scientific calculator by his side as suggested by gokangas96.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with Australia Day. These items were sold for WW1 soldier war chest fund raising.

The second half of your post is true, not sure about the first.

From Wikipedia so you can make your own judgements as to historical veracity:

The first Australia Day was established in response to Australia's involvement in World War I. In 1915, Ellen "Ellie" Wharton Kirke MBE, née Clements, mother of four servicemen, thought up the idea of a national day, with the specific aim of raising funds for wounded soldiers,[38] and the term was coined to stir up patriotic feelings.[39][37] In 1915 a committee to celebrate Australia Day was formed, and the date chosen was 30 July,[40] on which many fund-raising efforts were run to support the war effort.[41] It was also held in July in subsequent years of World War I: on 28 July 1916,[41] 27 July 1917,[42] and 26 July 1918.[43]

From the ABC:

The first Australia Day was a response to Australia's involvement in World War One at a time when the young country was shaping its new national identity.

The idea of a national day for raise funds to support wounded troops came from the mother of four servicemen.

The agreed date was July 30 and the day would be called Australia Day.

Australian troops were fighting at Gallipoli and there was a patriotic mood across the country.

Communities all over Australia organised fundraising events for the newly announced Australia Day.

The first Australia Day: 30 July 1915

The second half of your post is true, not sure about the first.

From Wikipedia so you can make your own judgements as to historical veracity:

The first Australia Day was established in response to Australia's involvement in World War I. In 1915, Ellen "Ellie" Wharton Kirke MBE, née Clements, mother of four servicemen, thought up the idea of a national day, with the specific aim of raising funds for wounded soldiers,[38] and the term was coined to stir up patriotic feelings.[39][37] In 1915 a committee to celebrate Australia Day was formed, and the date chosen was 30 July,[40] on which many fund-raising efforts were run to support the war effort.[41] It was also held in July in subsequent years of World War I: on 28 July 1916,[41] 27 July 1917,[42] and 26 July 1918.[43]

From the ABC:

The first Australia Day was a response to Australia's involvement in World War One at a time when the young country was shaping its new national identity.

The idea of a national day for raise funds to support wounded troops came from the mother of four servicemen.

The agreed date was July 30 and the day would be called Australia Day.

Australian troops were fighting at Gallipoli and there was a patriotic mood across the country.

Communities all over Australia organised fundraising events for the newly announced Australia Day.

The first Australia Day: 30 July 1915
Adelaide War Funds - AUSTRALIA DAY CELEBRATIONS. - HOW FUNDS ARE EXPENDED. - The Laura Standard (SA : 1889 - 1917) - 21 Jul 1916

January 26th was 1st celebrated 1817 with a dinner and festivities.

ozday1817.JPG

It was called different things until 1935.

GEGzzSGaEAAP88g.png

Wikipedia and the ABC. What's next The Guardian?

Last edited:
I went yesterday and agree with other posters that there was a very good turn out from our fans. The wind was horrendous making for a very scrappy game. There have been some great match reports so just a couple of observations:

Tom Powell caught my eye at training on Monday and it was so good to see him continue that form into the game. For mine he was clearly BOG and it is so good to see him fit and firing. I was really excited by him in his first season until he got injured. Seems he has now got his body right and his great hands and burst of speed were clearly on display.

Will Phillips had a very good game worked hard and was consistent throughout.

Dylan Stephens ran hard for the whole game and had no trouble finding the ball.

Colby McKercher has so much class and he is fast. Very excited to see him play and I understand why we didn’t want to trade pick 2 and miss out on him.

Zane Duursma has class. He was caught in heavy traffic on the wing and managed a beautiful turn to get free and pass the ball.

Will Dawson is a competitor, I look forward to watching him develop.

Charlie Lazarro was good and Bailey Scott continued on from his good form last season.

If our midfielders stay fit the selectors are going to have some headaches fitting them all in. What a great problem to have as it has been a long time since we have had genuine depth in any line. Still lots of other gaps to fill though.

In future to make it easier for spectators can players please wear their correct number. For example Greenwood was in 5, Zuurhar in 4, McKercher in 1. Also the yellow team did not have numbers making it hard for me to pick out who was who. I particularly wanted to focus on Hardeman and Maley but without numbers found it difficult. I am getting older and the eyesight is not what it used to be.

I don’t know. I just didn’t really agree with the tone that started with Jy telling us it’s not a date to celebrate and what the date should be used for. I think with so many diverse groups and interpretations, it’s a bit harsh to tell people how they should interpret the day and what it should be used for.
And I’m ok with changing the day if that appeases the masses.

I also think Powell can be an instant replacement for whatever role Cunnington had for the past decade.
And some of these players remind me of the guys we had around.

Powell - Ben10
Wardlaw - jz type of crash impact
Willphil - boomer
Sheezel - wells
Colby - Higgins

Branden George - Kieran Harper/ Taylor Garner ☹️
I think you’re viewing it wrong if you want the young mids to be like our old mids who were average and had no real success. We should be expecting bigger things out of this group in my opinion, much greater talent now building in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back