Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It is all a PR exercise to appease a very small vocal minority of people who could potentially, if such statement was not made, vent their outrage which would result in adverse publicity for the club & AFL in general. Much like the AFL's support for the Voice to Parliament last year, must do everything to avoid being tarred with the racist brush. You'd have to be pretty naive to think that most of the people involved in issuing such statements were more concerned with the actual issues that said statements were addressing rather than the company bottom line.

Stick to footy? Ok but let’s **** off Anzac Day footy, Good Friday footy and the anthem before finals

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good to hear Powell put is hand up. Coaching staff seemed to put their eggs in the Philips basket last year and while it was good to see them giving time to Will to develop, Tom paid for it.
Not sure how you got that impression. Powell had a great pre-season last year and was given every chance early in the season, when he had a better role than Phillips. Unfortunately he showed very little on the field to justify that, and he slipped down the pecking order as the season went on. He has talent but seems to lack competitiveness and mongrel. I hope he comes good, but I'm not sure that he is a keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some more observations from today’s game - mostly reinforcing those made already by others.

Dylan Stephens: ran well all day and seemed to get plenty of it. Seems to have the license to use his pace and agility to take the game on. A potential upgrade on Atley would be a good result.

Tom Powell: as others have already stated, he was the standout midfielder on the ground with his run and creativity; kicked a nice goal. Played like he had something to prove.

Will Phillips: becoming Mr Consistency/Reliability in the midfield. Clean below his knees and has poise with ball in hand. Meat and potatoes midfielder to complement LDU, Wardlaw, Simpkin, Sheezel, Powell.

George Wardlaw: seemed quieter to me than others have observed but just does stuff where you just go - ‘how did he do that?’

Kal Dawson: was the best key defender although is very much 3rd tall material. Will be good where he can get a run at the footy in the air to spoil, but will struggle in one-on-one stationary battles. You wouldn’t play him Tomahawk or Tex Walker.

Colby McKercher: moves and looks like something positive is going to happen every time he has the footy. Changes the angles of the game and will be critical to Clarko’s game plan that leverages left footer ball use off half back/wing.

CCJ: thought it was the best game I’ve seen of him in the ruck. Seemed to move well around the ground and gave a good contest which is all I think Clarko wants from a ruckman.

LDU: In cruise control. As mentioned by him last week, he’s just waiting for some real opposition.

Cooper Harvey: thought he looked good when he pushed up the ground and was instrumental in some nice handball chains through the middle by the yellow team. Is well balanced. But still not sure if there’s a best 22 spot for him.

Josh Goater: composed and used the ball well of half back.

Cam Zurhaar: tough day for players in the forward 50 due to windy conditions, but stepped up and lifted the intensity in the 2nd half when thrown into the midfield.

Sheezel: good to see him in the midfield at times. Seemed in 2nd gear from what I saw, but class as always when he gets it. Would like to see him move forward a bit more.

Bailey Scott: continuing on from last year with his run off half back. A couple of untidy kicks but the wind made it tough for most.

Big game Zane: another forward impacted by windy conditions and poor inside fifties. His first goal was all class. Reads the game well and will create opportunities for himself and others due to his class.

Stepho: made the most of limited opportunities but would love to see him create more through wing and half forward.

Hardeman: some great run and follow up out of full back. Will be one to excite the crowds if he can carry that into AFL.

The crowd: great turn up. Hard to know exactly the numbers but maybe 1,000?

Tarryn Thomas: not there today and his onfield presence is the final piece in our midfield puzzle. Must be hard for him to be made to stay away from his teammates when the games are on, but if there is any truth in the current allegations, he lies in the bed he’s made.

Not sure how you got that impression. Powell had a great pre-season last year and was given every chance early in the season, when he had a better role than Phillips. Unfortunately he showed very little on the field to justify that, and he slipped down the pecking order as the season went on. He has talent but seems to lack competitiveness and mongrel. I hope he comes good, but I'm not sure that he is a keeper.

They fell over themselves last year playing him everywhere except where he excelled as a junior - in the middle.

We've had a history of playing players away from their strengths.

I'd say he was pretty competitive as a junior also.

People underestimate how big the jump from junior competition to the elite level this - particularly with those juniors who have light or immature bodies.

I'm expecting big things from Tom this year.

Stick to footy? Ok but let’s * off Anzac Day footy, Good Friday footy and the anthem before finals

I'm not for or against any political statements by the club, personally I couldn't give a stuff what North's beliefs are, as individuals or as a collective. Just pointing out that due to the public nature of the industry it cannot avoid being politicized, and such statements should be taken with a grain of salt.

They fell over themselves last year playing him everywhere except where he excelled as a junior - in the middle.

People underestimate how big the jump from junior competition to the elite level this - particularly with those juniors who have light or immature bodies.

That is what I was getting at. Will started in the middle and played significant time in there. Powell for some reason played everywhere but his best position. Some players can work outside the square, but can’t see Will or Powell being successful playing significant time outside the square

I hope you are right but I think you are being very generous. He doesn't have an immature body anymore. I agree that he should be playing the middle, as he doesn't look comfortable anywhere else. But if he wants to play in the middle in the seniors he has to fight his way past a few and I don't think he wants to do that enough. He isn't a contested beast. He doesn't run fast or all day. His disposal is neat but not penetrating or very creative. He doesn't tackle much or show any aggression. If he is going to make it he needs to show something I haven't seen yet.

Good to hear Powell put is hand up. Coaching staff seemed to put their eggs in the Philips basket last year and while it was good to see them giving time to Will to develop, Tom paid for it.
Tommy was injured and severely hampered last season.leg injurys and osteitis pubis the year before.they finally got him right late last year and it showed...He will be a gun for us and he showed some of that today..B.O.G. easily

It is often said, in my opinion rightly so, that sport and politics don't mix. Why is it that many sport federations, sport clubs and sport people feel the need to take a public stance by making political statements, particularly when it is likely to piss off a significant proportion of the supporters base? In reverse, how would Pat Cummins like it if the PM made a statement that he believed it was time for CA to select a new Australian captain? Just stay out of each other's lane.
C’mon Gus. The club is being inclusive. :stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope you are right but I think you are being very generous. He doesn't have an immature body anymore. I agree that he should be playing the middle, as he doesn't look comfortable anywhere else. But if he wants to play in the middle in the seniors he has to fight his way past a few and I don't think he wants to do that enough. He isn't a contested beast. He doesn't run fast or all day. His disposal is neat but not penetrating or very creative. He doesn't tackle much or show any aggression. If he is going to make it he needs to show something I haven't seen yet.

Reckon the way he played today he is up for fighting his way past a few.

I know Coleman jones has spent just as much time cooked at beyond the valley as he has with his concussions.

But;

His best position is as a ruckman, he’s not a forward - and if he’s coming good prior to the finish line and x is still having some issues physically, it may be the making of him.

It is often said, in my opinion rightly so, that sport and politics don't mix. Why is it that many sport federations, sport clubs and sport people feel the need to take a public stance by making political statements, particularly when it is likely to piss off a significant proportion of the supporters base? In reverse, how would Pat Cummins like it if the PM made a statement that he believed it was time for CA to select a new Australian captain? Just stay out of each other's lane.
It’s not a political thing pillock.

It’s an understanding of history and what has occurred to First Nations peoples.

When our captain is indigenous and you run this line of I’m allowed to have my opinion, with no ****ing regard to anyone elses plight it just makes you look like a ****ing internal thinking deadshit.

It’s pretty easy to understand, no other country celebrates the day colonisation occurred but “**** me if I’m told different - it’s these woke, political pricks telling me I’m not allowed to have an opinion”

Just have some care for other campaigners other than yourself you dill

That is what I was getting at. Will started in the middle and played significant time in there. Powell for some reason played everywhere but his best position. Some players can work outside the square, but can’t see Will or Powell being successful playing significant time outside the square

The bottom line is - we are blessed to have these 2 guys on our list.

It’s not a political thing pillock.

It’s an understanding of history and what has occurred to First Nations peoples.

When our captain is indigenous and you run this line of I’m allowed to have my opinion, with no ******* regard to anyone elses plight it just makes you look like a ******* internal thinking deadshit.

It’s pretty easy to understand, no other country celebrates the day colonisation occurred but “* me if I’m told different - it’s these woke, political pricks telling me I’m not allowed to have an opinion”

Just have some care for other campaigners other than yourself you dill
Zzz take this to a political forum.. if there is one.

Unfortunately I couldn’t get down to Arden St today. After the club released its statement re Australia Day, I whacked on the zinc, packed the ouija board & hit Altona beach. It was ace.
Appreciate the reports of those who attended. Sounds like you guys are in for a belter of a season. 👊

Go back and watch his first year. Handball was Cunnersesque. Has vision and ran all day.

Unfortunately I couldn’t get down to Arden St today. After the club released its statement re Australia Day, I whacked on the zinc, packed the ouija board & hit Altona beach. It was ace.
Appreciate the reports of those who attended. Sounds like you guys are in for a belter of a season. 👊
Really wish you had have gone to Arden St today, as the game was at Bundoora.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back