Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys
Sorry for the intrusion.
My son is a north Melbourne supporter and we are down in Melbourne for the next 10 days and I was going to take him to watch his boys train. But this morning I noticed that Arden st footy ground has been dug up.as we were driving to our motel in the city.
Could someone please let me know where the players are doing there training at the moment .
Thanks in advance
We all want our kids to grow up to be smarter than us. Congratulations on achieving this feat so early 👍

I would love to be wrong, but I don't see the Comben in defense experiment being a massive success.
Personally, I reckon it's a brilliant idea.

In fact, I said to do it 18 months ago, because he's built for the position - 200cm tall, very athletic, clunks them for fun and has absolute campaigner in him. The only question mark I have is him kicking it out of defense with precision, however with Sheez, Bergman, Fish, etc. running past for the handball receive, he might not need to worry about it too much.

Yeah it could backfire, but it also could be the best move since Taz went back.

Some can pick talent early and assess based off attributes

We’ll find out soon either way

What attributes do you see with comben that make you think he will be able to nullify the best forwards that McKay could?

He’s quick. That’s good. But he’s shown no one on one body work at either afl or vfl. I’m a massive fan and know he will be a good afl forward/ruck, if not for injuries, but all his good play has been leading up and launching at the footy. Get him one out in the square against a strong key forward and there is no evidence he’ll be able to compete adequately.

If you are talking a maj role ala 2018, then sure I can buy that. Should be able to intercept and use his body to smash contests (which we are trying to avoid). He does have a game suited to that.

who are our forwards besides Larkey and Chom that can take a contested mark?
Zurhaar, Ford, TT, PCurtis, Harvey, CCJ, CurtisT if he ever remembers how to play and by all accounts George and Duursma can take a contested grab as well.

I was at the training and I got a photo of the crow attacking the drone...LOL
Biggie has a good kick on him and moves well.
I like the look of Goad he moves well and looks like he could play a few games next season, Maybe across CHF.
Dylan Stephens has chicken legs, very lean.
Can you confirm if the crow is okay? How many times did the crow use his aerial ability to launch at the drone? Was the matchup worthy or was it one sided? Do you think the crow will be stronger at the contest in pre- season?
The Crows Lol GIF

I'm going to have to disagree with some of that, even though my opinion probably wouldn't hold a candle to yours in a court of law.

Charlie's natural aggression combined with his physical attributes sees him move like a freight train during games. There aren't many that are more keen to succeed. I laughed with disbelief multiple times watching him go at it last season. He obviously doesn't test as well according to your information, but he hits another gear in games.

Providing he gets himself a tank that allows him to stay out there (not necessarily at Larkey's level, just one that means he isn't dry heaving halfway through the fourth quarter), I wouldn't have any defensive/immobility qualms about playing him in tandem with Larkey. CCJ is an entirely different proposition, and much more akin to your assessment of lumbering oafs that are going out of fashion. Even though I think a team like Collingwood would find a valuable use for him.

Comben having an injury-free season at centre half forward would be shockingly close to the top of my Christmas wishlist. He may yet prove that faith to be misguided, but that's where it's at for me at the moment. Final observation is that if all those aforementioned are as explosive as you say they are (I'd also add Zurhaar to that list), then it'd take a nuclear war to prevent the team from lifting itself out of the bottom two
Comben moves like a flanker in a KP sized body.

Bloke can flat out move.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frampton is useless, did nothing to help them forward. Or back.
The big hole in their forward line was McStay. He's no Carey but he's a decent KPF. But they need him, like we need them too.

They only won by 4 points, and it took the game of his life from Hill to get them the flag.
Everything that you have said essentially is correct, but here is the thing, when Mcstay went down injured Collingwood reconstructed their forward line and while Frampton was well beaten, his sole purpose was to provide a contest, which he did. He was used as a decoy moving further up the ground leaving at times a much smaller but faster forward line of Hill, Elliott or McCreery.

So in one way Frampton played his part, role players are just as important as the stars, if they can do there job, it makes the other guys jobs easier. Dan is a good strong forward and going down again for another 12 months is a bitter blow to the pies chances, but as we saw, they can work their way round this.

Now we come to your last paragraph, this is very interesting in my opinion, after playing a great game the pies hung on to win by 4 points, with what happened with that Brisbane player getting called advantage when it should of been called back in the dying seconds of the game was shocking and the pies got the cup. Your also right with Hill, yet they only just won.

Some people can see this, some can't, but the whole competition is getting very, very even and that's what the A.F.L has been trying to do, I judge our efforts against the best over the last two years and I'm noticing a continuous performance that has me shaking my head because at this stage of where we are at, this should not be happening just yet, not even close.

I know the odd game we have been found out but there have been reasons for that, with some of our best players injured or the fact that they were at their very best and were too good. The games against Collingwood last year and this year, the game against Sydney this year, Carlton this year in round 4, the Bulldogs in round 14{120 point thrashing with the players they have, reduced to just 21 points}, round 21 against Melbourne, if not for that 3rd quarter and late goals in the 2nd quarter, I think Melbourne were in a bit of trouble.

In these games with who we had on the ground compared to the opposition, their class and some of these sides having won a premiership or played in a Grand Final or attempting to make a Grand Final next year is staggering to say the least. In all those games they should have put us to the sword, very easily. The fact we could have won these games is astonishing. We have picked up some amazing talent, everyone getting a lot fitter, possibly the best coaching group potentially in the last 20 years and that hunger by the lads, especially that last game, has me convinced we are not as far away as some people think.

Last edited:
What attributes do you see with comben that make you think he will be able to nullify the best forwards that McKay could?

He’s quick. That’s good. But he’s shown no one on one body work at either afl or vfl. I’m a massive fan and know he will be a good afl forward/ruck, if not for injuries, but all his good play has been leading up and launching at the footy. Get him one out in the square against a strong key forward and there is no evidence he’ll be able to compete adequately.

If you are talking a maj role ala 2018, then sure I can buy that. Should be able to intercept and use his body to smash contests (which we are trying to avoid). He does have a game suited to that.
He is quite crash and bash from what we saw this year, wasn’t he? Whether it was sticking marks or converting goals, he fell short. Hopefully it will be easier as a backman to mark/kick to a leading target?

Met an American yesterday here in NZ and she was curious as to why we shoot Roos for meat to eat, and how do they taste?
Explain that in Australia we're not allowed to shoot up schools or nightclubs - this is the compromise.

Frampton is useless, did nothing to help them forward. Or back.
The big hole in their forward line was McStay. He's no Carey but he's a decent KPF. But they need him, like we need them too.

They only won by 4 points, and it took the game of his life from Hill to get them the flag.

Since the covid season in 2020 every GF winning side has a small/medium forward who has been the highest scorerer in the game - Fritsch, Stengle and Hill, who probably all played the games of their lives. Even this year Brisbane's scoring was dominated by small forwards (they scored seven compared to Daniher's three.) Most goals are scored by small forwards and mids in Gfs.

Even Geelong who had Cameron and Hawkins had those two score five between them and Stengle scored four. In fact afaics the highest goals any single KPF has scored is three and the lowest any highest scoring small forward has scored is four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training reports 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back