Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

He's fast, hard as a cats head, great aerial ability and beautiful long kick with brilliant vision.

Made for the role in the modern game
Surely the goal sense and kicking ability is far too good for him to have a permanent role back there. I don't mind letting him ease into it down there after the turmoil he's had (provided he's actually allowed to play). I think he just needs to enjoy his footy again, so it makes complete logical sense to put him in the easiest position on the field, but I'm gonna be fuming if that's where he ends up staying long term. We all remember what he did in 2021. We don't have anyone who can replicate that 20+ possession, 1.5 goal a game output

Surely the goal sense and kicking ability is far too good for him to have a permanent role back there. I don't mind letting him ease into it down there after the turmoil he's had (provided he's actually allowed to play). I think he just needs to enjoy his footy again, so it makes complete logical sense to put him in the easiest position on the field, but I'm gonna be fuming if that's where he ends up staying long term. We all remember what he did in 2021. We don't have anyone who can replicate that 20+ possession, 1.5 goal a game output
Reckon LDU may get close

We don't have anyone who can replicate that 20+ possession, 1.5 goal a game output
Paul Curtis, as he spends more time in the middle. Sheezel also has that potential.

Surely the goal sense and kicking ability is far too good for him to have a permanent role back there.
Unless he is even more damaging in the HB role. He might not be but maybe he is. We'll have to wait and see.

Just needs an AFL body and he’s a chance.
Phoenix has spent a large part of the preseason in the rehab group. When I did see him live in late December, his speed and elusiveness was noticeable.

He can kick goals and did in that particular match sim. His ball use is very good and forward pressure is what he brings. He's worth persisting with. He has qualities that our forward line needs. He'll make a useful forward pocket player, given time. Reminds me of Matt Campbell, for those who remember him. There's a reason he is still on our list.

Last edited:
Phoenix has spent a large part of the preseason in the rehab group. When I did see him live in late December, his speed and elusiveness was noticeable.

He can kick goals and did in that particular match sim. His ball use is very good and forward pressure is what he brings. He's worth persisting with. He has qualities that our forward line needs. He'll make a useful forward pocket player, given time. Reminds me of Matt Campbell, for those who remember him. There's a reason he is still on our list.
Be interesting to see how this goes. Has always looked scared to me when there is genuine opposition. Will happily be proved incorrect.

David King in my opinion was the "first modern back flanker" with his run and carry, averaged 0.6 goals a game across his whole career ....they played a lot more direct footy back then..... I wouldn't rule out TT averaging 30+ and almost a goal a game off back flank!......What would the failed fireman have to say about that?

David King in my opinion was the "first modern back flanker" with his run and carry, averaged 0.6 goals a game across his whole career ....they played a lot more direct footy back then..... I wouldn't rule out TT averaging 30+ and almost a goal a game off back flank!......What would the failed fireman have to say about that?

Was rewatching our 99 finals games vs port and Brisbane on youtube. King stood out for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 goal per game is the absolute max for him I reckon. He's powerful, but he's closer to a pure midfielder than a Petracca/Dusty mid/fwd hybrid imo. TT could definitely be a mid/fwd hybrid, albeit without the raw power of the aforementioned lads
If he does his boot laces up before he kicks for goal he has the potential to kick a few more

Another beautiful Arden st morning. Here early and some of the support staff are setting up. No players yet. Hoping for an intraclub today.

About 17 degrees, light breeze, sunny. The players will enjoy the conditions.
Genuinely forgot I was working today. Woke up this morning with every intention to head down to Arden st.

Run-throughs now. Noticing Goldy. Looks as fit as I've ever seen him. WillPhil looks sanguine. Primed and ready. By the way, I'm a long time student of body language, so when I notice someone, it's a good thing.

That said, Stevo looks happy to be in the rehabs. Think he's been carrying something.

The boys are having a bit of fun in the middle, keeping a soccer ball in the air. Clarko keeping it light and fun for now. Some of the boys have decent soccer skills

Wardlaw is here, has joined the rehabs.

Some umpires are here. Maybe for the upcoming intraclub (I hope).

Darcy Tucker in the rehabs looks good to go, but still being held back. Same with Phoenix. Griff is a bit further behind. Wardlaw a ways off it at this stage. Seems to be a tad off in his fitness. Will be interesting to see what happens when he's had time within the club system.

Into groups: blue, orange and green. Keepings off with hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back