Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

How’s this for a different vibe around the club.

It's the little things, Clarko was in the middle of the ground with the whole group and Halls young fella runs out, Clarko picks him up finished his chat then runs him back over to his mum gives her a big hug she says sorry and he is like “nah he is always welcome out here with the boys”View attachment 1594449

One club.
Clarko is just built different and the boys love it. Buy in is huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Took the young fella along, and what a great experience for him. Met all the players he’d hoped to (his photographer father left the phone in the car and had no camera) and spent some time having kick to kick and then contested work with George Wardlaw. George couldn’t have been more giving with his time and attention, what a ripper kid.

Shout out to the young fella who convinced LDU his shoes looked a bit worn out. 😂 he couldn’t believe his luck when LDU handed them over.

What a great vibe around the place. Looks like they had the younger players driving the fan engagement with the kids

Was having a chat earlier and yeah

HF: Simpkin Larkey Sheezel
F : Curtis Comben Zurhaar

Was mentioned as a 'possible' rd 1 fwd line.
Thoughts?
Only if we're shifting one of our half forwards up to stoppages. If it happens I suspect we've identified half forward running capacity as a problem.

Only if we're shifting one of our half forwards up to stoppages. If it happens I suspect we've identified half forward running capacity as a problem.

Well not sure I think our plan pre al clarko was that we'd have heavy midfield rotations. So IF we start with Goldy- Comben ruck/fwd. Then we have LDU, Cunners, Simpkin, Phillips and Powell it all kind of makes some sense.

I can't see the point in having Wardlaw, Simpkin, Phillips, LDU, Cunners & Powell on the list if they're not bi-positional. Then of course they've given Curtis midfield time recently.

I think our mid options and fwd structure will be a handful for many sides soon enough.

Well not sure I think our plan pre al clarko was that we'd have heavy midfield rotations. So IF we start with Goldy- Comben ruck/fwd. Then we have LDU, Cunners, Simpkin, Phillips and Powell it all kind of makes some sense.

I can't see the point in having Wardlaw, Simpkin, Phillips, LDU, Cunners & Powell on the list if they're not bi-positional. Then of course they've given Curtis midfield time recently.

I think our mid options and fwd structure will be a handful for many sides soon enough.
Most sides have about 4 main mids plus 1-2 50/50 and another maybe 1 surprise. Cunnington probably will bow out at the same time as Wardlaw comes in. So I think we're about set. Plus Simpkin can play a bit of wing and half forward as well.

Can't see Chom doing any sort of rucking. Has not been in any of those drills during the pre-season. Not that he couldn't, he just hasn't.

Surprised at Simpkin at HF considering he just won the BnF playing on ball.
Maybe out of necessity (injuries / lack of other talent) he was forced to play that role and take the contested brunt at the coal face for the betterment of the team.
With more options and coverage (WiPhi, Cunners etc), they can be more selective with him.
I like the move. Can roll through the middle, kick goals and apply forward prensure. F50 tackles and composure forward lacking of late.
With less ’brunt’ of contest and associated fatigue - and more time and space, his disposal will improve too.
Get the side step out and snap a few.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back