Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

He is well past it. If he's in the side in round 1, I will fair dinkum spew up.
Go back and check out the 2011-2015 era highlights.

Guy was a ferocious maniac attacking the ball and man, respected league-wide for this alone, regularly making perennial AA mids look soft. His ferociousness was used in AFL advertising while he was getting weeks for it, mind you. Could roost a goal from 55, strong mark and one of the few power players (Petrie comes to mind as another at the time) who could stand up and deliver in iconic moments.

His decline has been extremely sharp, but should not tarnish what is an excellent career 280-odd games, that is with the 20 or so missed games due to unfair suspension and the two-season ending leg breaks.

Ziebs actually looks in his best nick for years. I think he'll have a good year
Where does he play? He's an atrocious 1 on 1 defender, we have blokes in the midfield who we'd be mad to prioritise him over, and he showed nothing as a forward last year. Even his one bag of goals came predominantly from free kicks. It was at least three of them, if not four

Go back and check out the 2011-2015 era highlights.

Guy was a ferocious maniac attacking the ball and man, respected league-wide for this alone, regularly making perennial AA mids look soft. His ferociousness was used in AFL advertising while he was getting weeks for it, mind you. Could roost a goal from 55, strong mark and one of the few power players (Petrie comes to mind as another at the time) who could stand up and deliver in iconic moments.

His decline has been extremely sharp, but should not tarnish what is an excellent career 280-odd games, that is with the 20 or so missed games due to unfair suspension and the two-season ending leg breaks.
I can't count the number of times I have watched him grab the ball in a contest and throw it onto his boot for a 25m kick straight to the opposition, who would invariably run the ball down deep into their forward line. He has done that his whole career. So frustrating. I liked him much better as a third forward before he lost the ability to take a set shot at goal.

I stand by the fact that he was a good ordinary player (as Jack Dyer would say) for much of his career, who played some great games (the good) and some ordinary games (the ordinary). He was ridiculously courageous, had good foot skills and could take a mark. Good ordinary player is not meant as a slight. I think it's a fair representation of his career. Only his mother would suggest that he has been a champion of AFL.

The problem as I see it is that he doesn't offer anything with the footy. Last season he was the worst player in the worst side - consistently poor to the point of being an embarrassment. I have watched him his whole career and I don't think he was ever much more than a good ordinary player. No tricks.

He is well past it. If he's in the side in round 1, I will fair dinkum spew up.
Understand where you're coming from, but I won't mind if Clarkson picks him for round 1. I will be unhappy, though, if he's kept in the side if his form is such that he's shown not to be in our best 22.

Understand where you're coming from, but I won't mind if Clarkson picks him for round 1. I will be unhappy, though, if he's kept in the side if his form is such that he's shown not to be in our best 22.
I think Jack has already been given a season's worth of games that he didn't deserve. Enough.

While I'm in a heartless bastard frame of mind, I would suggest that our new skipper LMAC will be on trial this season. Clarko likes good kicks and good decision-makers, and LMAC is neither of those. If I had to pick between Liam Shiels and Luke McDonald as to the better player, (sentimentality aside), I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be LMAC.

I hope he's working hard on his kicking...

Where does he play? He's an atrocious 1 on 1 defender, we have blokes in the midfield who we'd be mad to prioritise him over, and he showed nothing as a forward last year. Even his one bag of goals came predominantly from free kicks. It was at least three of them, if not four

While I’m not convinced he is in our best 22, last year he was asked to play forward in the most putrid game plan of all time that gave limited scoring opportunities for 3rd choice forwards.

If he plays forward this year, let’s see how he goes with the ball coming in quicker and better method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
While I’m not convinced he is in our best 22, last year he was asked to play forward in the most putrid game plan of all time that gave limited scoring opportunities for 3rd choice forwards.

If he plays forward this year, let’s see how he goes with the ball coming in quicker and better method.

And in a structure that doesn’t have him as a KPF.

Its not just what he offers with the footy, and though he’s not the skipper anymore he’s easily the most vocal player on the ground, constantly organising structure, telling everyone where they should be setting up.
We need 5/6 old decent heads around this group. JZ mightn’t play every game, he mightnt start the season. A lot of variables and a lot of water to pass under the bridge before round 1

So if he is fwd then assuming Curtis souv z chom are locks... and prob sheez... you are going to play jz before stepho or Taylor?
Or the resting mid?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We need 5/6 old decent heads around this group. JZ mightn’t play every game, he mightnt start the season. A lot of variables and a lot of water to pass under the bridge before round 1

Some of these aren't kids anymore... yes we have a fair few less than 24 but there are a fair few now in cz larks stepho jye who are 24, buckets 25 and lmac is 27!

Some of these aren't kids anymore... yes we have a fair few less than 24 but there are a fair few now in cz larks stepho jye who are 24, buckets 25 and lmac is 27!

CZ isn’t a leaders arseh*le. ****ing blind kicks at goal, uturns and tries to do the impossible far too often.. who that campaigner think he is? SHEEZEL?

In regards to onfield leadership at anyone one point. 5/6 leaders. JZ is one of them, Stepho is not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CZ isn’t a leaders a-hole. ******* blind kicks at goal, uturns and tries to do the impossible far too often.. who that campaigner think he is? SHEEZEL?

In regards to onfield leadership at anyone one point. 5/6 leaders. JZ is one of them, Stepho is not.

You missed the point.... I didn't say any of those were specifically leaders just not kids. So you don't need as many leaders when many have been in the system now... 3/4 max.... and we have the two captains, souva buckets in the leadership and then plenty of others with afl experience in griff corr Shiels Tucker Howe

You missed the point.... I didn't say any of those were specifically leaders just not kids. So you don't need as many leaders when many have been in the system now... 3/4 max.... and we have the two captains, souva buckets in the leadership and then plenty of others with afl experience in griff corr Shiels Tucker Howe
Reports out of training a week or so ago had Ben Cunnington tearing Can Zurhaar a new one for wheeling around instead of handballing to the runner coming past. We know that a new game plan and system takes at least 18 months to bed in as it requires a lot of instinctive and habitual behaviours to be changed. That's where the leaders come into it. And it's not just about the kids. A lot of more experienced players have habits that are more firmly entrenched. A few of these old dogs need to be taught new tricks.

Reports out of training a week or so ago had Ben Cunnington tearing Can Zurhaar a new one for wheeling around instead of handballing to the runner coming past. We know that a new game plan and system takes at least 18 months to bed in as it requires a lot of instinctive and habitual behaviours to be changed. That's where the leaders come into it. And it's not just about the kids. A lot of more experienced players have habits that are more firmly entrenched. A few of these old dogs need to be taught new tricks.

There are times that calls for the heroics, but if you engage in low probability plays when there are better options then you really need the leaders to show leadership on-field and enforce the discipline of team first instincts.

I think Collingwood were able to surge last year because their new game plan had a lot of similarities with Buckley's plan in terms of the pressuring, etc, it just utilised a more aggressive use of the corridor, it wasn't a system shock for them to adopt that plan. We know anything we are going to do is going to be a lot harder to execute because we've had no discernable game plan for 5+ years other than winning stoppages and turning over the ball.

There is a lot of hyperbole in this thread about player X or player Y getting a game or not getting a game. Clarkson is going to play Ziebell, if that is going to melt your neurons then perhaps people need to unplug for a while. We have a fresh start with a good coach and an experienced group of assistants, we are going to play with more experience on the field so when we blood kids they hopefully come into a better system. It is going to be a transition phase for a while, how long depends on how well the group gels and how quickly the kids take to come on.

Forget about what happened in the past, Clarkson isn't going to play someone if they are a liability to the team. It is a fresh start. If Ziebs does well, then good on him. It is fine to say he needs to improve on this or that but some of you are worse than opposition supporters with your tsunami of negativity. Holy shit!

There are times that calls for the heroics, but if you engage in low probability plays when there are better options then you really need the leaders to show leadership on-field and enforce the discipline of team first instincts.

I think Collingwood were able to surge last year because their new game plan had a lot of similarities with Buckley's plan in terms of the pressuring, etc, it just utilised a more aggressive use of the corridor, it wasn't a system shock for them to adopt that plan. We know anything we are going to do is going to be a lot harder to execute because we've had no discernable game plan for 5+ years other than winning stoppages and turning over the ball.

There is a lot of hyperbole in this thread about player X or player Y getting a game or not getting a game. Clarkson is going to play Ziebell, if that is going to melt your neurons then perhaps people need to unplug for a while. We have a fresh start with a good coach and an experienced group of assistants, we are going to play with more experience on the field so when we blood kids they hopefully come into a better system. It is going to be a transition phase for a while, how long depends on how well the group gels and how quickly the kids take to come on.

Forget about what happened in the past, Clarkson isn't going to play someone if they are a liability to the team. It is a fresh start. If Ziebs does well, then good on him. It is fine to say he needs to improve on this or that but some of you are worse than opposition supporters with your tsunami of negativity. Holy s**t!
I think Brisbane team when Hodge moved over there correlates quite well with our team. There is still use and need for talk and direction. No matter the list age. Im sure JZ plays, just unsure where.

I think Brisbane team when Hodge moved over there correlates quite well with our team. There is still use and need for talk and direction. No matter the list age. Im sure JZ plays, just unsure where.

He was okay in 2021 down back, particularly in the second half. I am guessing they will use him in a similar role and try and get Thomas be a rebounding defender, if he can get into space like say Daicos was able to last year and we always look for him then it could work. I think the main reason Collingwood is good defensively, last year particularly, is because they got that 360 degree pressure. That isn't our strong suit and we have a lot of players who are neither quick nor have a tank so I am not sure how much it has been address this pre-season but we as a team need to be able to deny the opposition time and space to deliver inside our defensive 50, without the pressure it becomes a training drill.

No one is disputing communication isnt essential on a field, that's always needed. The argument was that jz isn't the only one that can provide this. Plenty of other voices out there or should be

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back