Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

He was okay in 2021 down back, particularly in the second half. I am guessing they will use him in a similar role and try and get Thomas be a rebounding defender, if he can get into space like say Daicos was able to last year and we always look for him then it could work. I think the main reason Collingwood is good defensively, last year particularly, is because they got that 360 degree pressure. That isn't our strong suit and we have a lot of players who are neither quick nor have a tank so I am not sure how much it has been address this pre-season but we as a team need to be able to deny the opposition time and space to deliver inside our defensive 50, without the pressure it becomes a training drill.

a lot of players need to get a tank Tas. Been our biggest weakness for quite a while. That's why we concede a lot of points in the tough minutes of each quarter and why our defensive pressure is pus
agree that Ziebell will start the year, but dont think its a coincidence he stepped down from the Captaincy ( and i liked him as a captain), as he's more a bottom 8 player now and games wont be guaranteed

having said that, I hope he has a great season and gets back some of the Ziebell of old. He deserves a few wins after what he carried on his shoulders the last 3 years

Where does he play? He's an atrocious 1 on 1 defender, we have blokes in the midfield who we'd be mad to prioritise him over, and he showed nothing as a forward last year. Even his one bag of goals came predominantly from free kicks. It was at least three of them, if not four

I agree to be honest, he might "have a good year in the twos" but he looks the best for years was all I was pointing out lol

His best position is as a HF. He’s dangerous overhead, and can kick the ball a mile.
That's my thinking. As bad as it is, going by the direction that they're taking, I can't actually find a spot for him, but if they do, it has to be forward. The defensive approach was just a ****ed up experiment by Noble. The future forward line is taking shape, so who do you leave out?

a lot of players need to get a tank Tas. Been our biggest weakness for quite a while. That's why we concede a lot of points in the tough minutes of each quarter and why our defensive pressure is pus
agree that Ziebell will start the year, but dont think its a coincidence he stepped down from the Captaincy ( and i liked him as a captain), as he's more a bottom 8 player now and games wont be guaranteed

having said that, I hope he has a great season and gets back some of the Ziebell of old. He deserves a few wins after what he carried on his shoulders the last 3 years

I agree, our fitness is not where it needed to be.

Last year Ziebell had an average ToG of 79.7%, there are probably only a handful of non-KPP Geelong players that had more time on ground but there is a huge difference between a slow shuffle between the arcs or standing still and gut running back and forth. If we had data on distance travelled and the speed we ran at then it would probably show a bleak story.

That is on our club to not prepare players for that AFL standard and/or not demand that kind of effort on match day. Some players ran their arses off, others couldn't or didn't so we always had opposition players running into open space with no pressure.

I guess that is partly about setting the standards that the club has talked about.

I agree to be honest, he might "have a good year in the twos" but he looks the best for years was all I was pointing out lol

For me it is what he does structurally. We have McKay, Logue and Core set for the backbone, we need agile runners around them and Ziebell isn't that.

Up forward we have 2 big guys plus a resting ruckman, then we have a few mobile HF and resting mids. Again, he just doesn't fit unless someone like Zurhaar falls over.

And in the middle, he was never a great mid and we again need more run in there and skill.

I don't care how fit he looks, it doesn't change his athletic profile or his game skills deficiencies. Bloody Tarrant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take the cape off hero
Double Take Idk GIF by Laff

Looks like there isnt training tomorrow. Boys on a long weekend until wednesday. Expect clarko to smash them when they return.
1674996945491.png

Wait, they get a public holiday on Monday in lieu of last Thursday, even though they don’t train on Thursdays anyway?

F*** I wish I could play football.

Jack should be afforded the opportunity to start in the seniors - think we owe to him for a multitude of reasons.
Has put his body on the line in every ****en game.
Has led the club in the worst seasons in living memory and has kept the players United.
Being coached by newbies the last 3 seasons that had no idea

Give him the opportunity and what he does with it is up to him and his body.

Jack should be afforded the opportunity to start in the seniors - think we owe to him for a multitude of reasons.
Has put his body on the line in every *en game.
Has led the club in the worst seasons in living memory and has kept the players United.
Being coached by newbies the last 3 seasons that had no idea

Give him the opportunity and what he does with it is up to him and his body.
I don’t think anyone Is owed a spot, his pre season training and form in practice matches would and should be the only consideration. His form will dictate his playing status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back