Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice one, you were right next to me Hellsbells. Your kids got a tonne of pics. Agree that there was a great vibe around the place. My boy was collecting the balls that slipped through the net during the goal kicking drills and was handing them back to the players, they were all so lovely to him he won't shut up about it haha View attachment 1584793

Another aesthetically challenged young man is Jy.

No.

Gotta love Clarko rocking the legionnare's hat and not giving a f*ck how he looks.

I'm really enjoying seeing these North specific quirks like that popping up for him and all the new crew.

I want to see Ratten running match sim wearing a NMFC branded pith helmet and 1914 regulation military costume.

There was no score on the scoreboard. But I'd say yellow 4.5 to Blue 3.3. Something like that.

The interesting thing for me was that they mixed up the rucks and mids, plus the forwards. So as far as I could tell, the main players were:
BLUE
Ruck: Xerri Mids: LDU, Jy, Cunners Forwards: Chom, Zurhaar Backs: BMac, Dawson, TT

YELLOW
Ruck: Goldy Mids: Phillips, Lazzaro, Greenwood Forwards: Larkey, ?? Backs: Archer, Hall, Drury

Others like Sheezel, Harvey, etc. played bits and pieces or played outside.

The ones I noticed most were:
Bergman: impressive movement, was involved a lot in link up play and didn't let Zurhaar get away easily like he might have with the fend off. Impressive. Something to work with. The ensuing kick for Zurhaar was ineffective.
Howe: can really play. Gets into good positions, kicks beautifully, is a smart footballer and is well over 190cm, so can play in multiple positions. Seemd to be a half back role though.
TT: yes, has was noticeable. During the warm up drills he was going at half speed but once the match sim started he got going. Looks like playing the half back distributor role rather than Ziebs or even Aaron Hall , who played on the opposition side.
Drury: this kid is a beauty. Wait until the practice matches. You'll see. Great kick, good runner, clean. He's AFL ready. Astonished he wasn't taken in the main draft.
Jy: looks as good as last year. Involved in everything, ran hard, contested, etc.
LDU: much the same if not moreso than Jy. Is a real leader out there. When he has it, you can hear the calls from his teammates increase. They all want to be on the receiving end of his passes.
Arch Jr: wow, this kid will make it. Just loves the contest and can mark it. Multiple intercepts. If you don't have him in your Rd 1 best 22, think again. Will have a break out year.
Cooper: did really well. Didn't look out of place at all. Involved in more than a few plays. Wasn't a spectator. Did more than Sheezel did, although the Sheez did some nice things.
Larkey: looks as good as ever. Some nice marks and a quality crumbing goal. Didn't have Chom with him (played for the other team) but still did well.
Goater: seems to have stepped up. Was involved a lot on the last line of defence. Looks to be playing a dirstibutor role. Will take kick-ins and will do well.
Goldy: looks the same as ever. How old is he? It doesn't really matter. Will have a great 2023 and then will come back next year as well.
Cunners: shades of the Ben10 of old. A bit fumbly once or twice, but when he has it, does the evasive moves as always and creates. He's back. Looks great.
Ask me about others, I'll see what I can remember. Good session to watch.

Can anyone who went confirm that Curtis and Bull both attended some centre bounces? And that both look in sublime touch. I also believe that Jy spent a little time up forward? Drury in defence? Oh and Howe now regrets not riding off into the sunset and playing ammos after attempting to tackle LDU and ending on his arse.
I do believe Curtis was tried in the middle and out on the wing. His kicking is so good, might as well.

I'm really enjoying seeing these North specific quirks like that popping up for him and all the new crew.

I want to see Ratten running match sim wearing a NMFC branded pith helmet and 1914 regulation military costume.
I say Wil Phil, Splendid! Clean hands my boy, keep attacking, push on, superb effort! Brilliant!
Okay men bring it in, time for tea and scones. Tally Ho.

001973_00.jpg

There was no score on the scoreboard. But I'd say yellow 4.5 to Blue 3.3. Something like that.

The interesting thing for me was that they mixed up the rucks and mids, plus the forwards. So as far as I could tell, the main players were:
BLUE
Ruck: Xerri Mids: LDU, Jy, Cunners Forwards: Chom, Zurhaar Backs: BMac, Dawson, TT

YELLOW
Ruck: Goldy Mids: Phillips, Lazzaro, Greenwood Forwards: Larkey, ?? Backs: Archer, Hall, Drury

Bergman: impressive movement, was involved a lot in link up play and didn't let Zurhaar get away easily like he might have with the fend off. Impressive. Something to work with. The ensuing kick for Zurhaar was ineffective.
Howe: can really play. Gets into good positions, kicks beautifully, is a smart footballer and is well over 190cm, so can play in multiple positions. Seemd to be a half back role though.
TT: yes, has was noticeable. During the warm up drills he was going at half speed but once the match sim started he got going. Looks like playing the half back distributor role rather than Ziebs or even Aaron Hall , who played on the opposition side.
Drury: this kid is a beauty. Wait until the practice matches. You'll see. Great kick, good runner, clean. He's AFL ready. Astonished he wasn't taken in the main draft.
Jy: looks as good as last year. Involved in everything, ran hard, contested, etc.
LDU: much the same if not moreso than Jy. Is a real leader out there. When he has it, you can hear the calls from his teammates increase. They all want to be on the receiving end of his passes.
Arch Jr: wow, this kid will make it. Just loves the contest and can mark it. Multiple intercepts. If you don't have him in your Rd 1 best 22, think again. Will have a break out year.
Cooper: did really well. Didn't look out of place at all. Involved in more than a few plays. Wasn't a spectator. Did more than Sheezel did, although the Sheez did some nice things.
Larkey: looks as good as ever. Some nice marks and a quality crumbing goal. Didn't have Chom with him (played for the other team) but still did well.
Goater: seems to have stepped up. Was involved a lot on the last line of defence. Looks to be playing a dirstibutor role. Will take kick-ins and will do well.
Goldy: looks the same as ever. How old is he? It doesn't really matter. Will have a great 2023 and then will come back next year as well.
Cunners: shades of the Ben10 of old. A bit fumbly once or twice, but when he has it, does the evasive moves as always and creates. He's back. Looks great.
Thanks so much for the updates, how was Wardlaw moving about during the session, interesting there wasn't any updates in the injury report but sounds like he's on some modified program?

Thanks so much for the updates, how was Wardlaw moving about during the session, interesting there wasn't any updates in the injury report but sounds like he's on some modified program?
Yeah Wardlaw didn't play match sim. I didn't see him in any of the drills although others did. When I did see him, he was running laps, and at good pace. Not sure why he wasn't involved in the full field practice.

BLUE

YELLOW

Thanks for all the posts today ansonholt really appreciate it.
Interested to hear how any of Tom Powell, Flynn Perez, Curtis Taylor and Kallan Dawson went today?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did some rehab drills with the running bands ect, some short sharp sprints then did some laps from what I seen.

He is keen as to get out there full time you can see it in his eyes.

Wanted to go out for the last part of training but Kev White said he’s done enough.

Definitely a modified program.

Seems to be moving very well.

Can get up a good click when he pushes for full speed actually.

I say Wil Phil, Splendid! Clean hands my boy, keep attacking, push on, superb effort! Brilliant!
Okay men bring it in, time for tea and scones. Tally Ho.

001973_00.jpg

Something tells me if Brad Scott was left to his own devices this is exactly how he'd have dressed to coach us commoners at Arden Street.

He'd hand the assistant coaches instructions for the day only to quickly depart and dine alone in the custom built officer's mess.

Round 1 👌🤌

CORR MCKAY MCDONALD
GOATER LOGUE HALL
TUCKER DAVIES-UNIAKE THOMAS
SHEEZEL COMBEN STEPHENSON
ZURHAAR LARKY CURTIS

GOLDSTEIN CUNNINGTON SIMPKIN

PHILLIPS SHIELS
POWELL COLEMAN-JONES
SUB - SCOTT

E- PEREZ HOWE ZIEBELL GREENWOOD

I think clarko will start with ziebs and Howe in the side - also Scott

BLUE

YELLOW

In the nmfc BF Mount Rushmore - we have GR standing atop but you my good man is making a strong case to be added.

I think clarko will start with ziebs and Howe in the side - also Scott

In the nmfc BF Mount Rushmore - we have GR standing atop but you my good man is making a strong case to be added.

He's on a hiding to nothing with Jack.

Easiest approach is probably to give him a go early and let him rule himself in or out of selection.

Jeepers mate! What were you doing if you couldn't keep score?????

Joking of course. A greatly appreciated set of updates.

Did you spot anybody hiding in bushes while you were there (Phillyroo for instance)?

BLUE

YELLOW

A couple more to add:
CZ: Played further upfield rather than deep forward. His physicality may work better on a wing or flank, and he can still go forward.
Powell: flashes of brilliance on display. Looks to be improving, given the competition around him. Needs to accumulate more and then will really start to be damaging.
Free: didn't look out of place. Some nice marks and is very mobile.
Hall: much the same as the last two years, but disposal needs work. Hoping someone will have a chat to him at some stage about this, or maybe they just let him go and get whatever they can out of him?
Ziebs: played primarily back, was involved on the last line, doing his distributor role as previously. Looked happier there.
Curtis: so impressive when he has it. Beautiful kick, just tries things that most others won't or can't.
Stevo: a mixed bag of turnovers and hard work on link up plays. Will frustrate a few of us, but also will be a workhorse as well. Played on a wing and forward.
LMac: looks quicker than I remember. Did okay. Unsure of what his role was, and I'm not sure he is, either. Wait and see.
Xerri: Doesn't seem to have come on as we'd like. Goldy still beat him handily in the ruck. A bit of a worry, but let's give him a few more sim sessions and practice matches.
CCJ: see above re: Xerri, but but took a few nice marks around the ground. Chom looks like the one for CHF, though.

He's on a hiding to nothing with Jack.

Easiest approach is probably to give him a go early and let him rule himself in or out of selection.
Yeah my thinking exactly - doesn’t want to look like he’s treating a loyal servant like crap

Also for the love of god , can someone tell Xerri to stop trying to hack it forward and give it to one of the gun mids

Something tells me if Brad Scott was left to his own devices this is exactly how he'd have dressed to coach us commoners at Arden Street.

He'd hand the assistant coaches instructions for the day only to quickly depart and dine alone in the custom built officer's mess.
On that note, I’m off to * board for some laugher.
Edit: the last three pages of their preseason thread is talking time trial results, those poor bastards, I remember looking into that abyss with blind optimism

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Training Thread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back