Traitors must be shot

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
From what looks like a silly Hun survey:

Jumping ship
THIRTEEN per cent of fans admit to having changed teams. Melbourne fans (16 per cent) and Western Bulldogs followers (14 per cent) were most likely to have abandoned their original club.

If there is any substance to this, it won't help next year's membership. Also reinforces my view that we have to have a reasonable 2004.

Over what period of time though and what percentage of other teams' supporters changed allegiance? Statistics can be made to say just about anything depending on what emphasis you want to place on them.
Did most of these supporters change as adults or as children, as many do to follow the teams at the top. Tell me more tell me more tell me more.

Did not surprise me at all that stat.

Look at all the growth area's in the West and to a lesser extent the North West. They should support the doggies right.

Wrong: After Essendons 1993 premiership and successful move from Windy Hill to the MCG, many young bulldog supporters turn coated.
Success brings supporters. We simply haven't had the success. If we ever had 10 years at the top with a couple of premierships this wouldn't be a problem.

Originally posted by Dry Rot

Jumping ship
THIRTEEN per cent of fans admit to having changed teams. Melbourne fans (16 per cent) and Western Bulldogs followers (14 per cent) were most likely to have abandoned their original club.

Guys I think you may have got this all wrong, it's current Dog fans now who abandoed their original club.

Originally posted by LondonBulldog
Did not surprise me at all that stat.

Look at all the growth area's in the West and to a lesser extent the North West. They should support the doggies right.

Wrong: After Essendons 1993 premiership and successful move from Windy Hill to the MCG, many young bulldog supporters turn coated.
Success brings supporters. We simply haven't had the success. If we ever had 10 years at the top with a couple of premierships this wouldn't be a problem.

Who the funk has ever had a 10 year period at the top?

Originally posted by MightyFighting
*clears throat pointedly*

No doubt the Hawks were great in the 80s but footy has changed since then. With the salary cap n draft it's near on impossible to have an era like that now.

Originally posted by Dry Rot
From what looks like a silly Hun survey:

Jumping ship

If there is any substance to this, it won't help next year's membership. Also reinforces my view that we have to have a reasonable 2004.

I abandoned Melbourne to be a Bulldog when I was about 4. That was 15 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by -PC28-
Who the funk has ever had a 10 year period at the top?

Ahem...you're neighbours over in Arden Street. Yes - during the AFL national comp - salary cap, compromised draw and draft. 7 prelim finals, 3 GF's and 2 premierships.

But success doesn't guarantee new supporters. That takes another decade or more before the new kids attracted to a club to be old enough to actually buy a membership.

Originally posted by Lidge
But success doesn't guarantee new supporters. That takes another decade or more before the new kids attracted to a club to be old enough to actually buy a membership.

Hope for you Rooboys this theory is right.
Is there any evidence or examples of this delayed membership growth ??

We did have a little semi successful period, well 2 prelims. Can we expect any longer term benifit for this or was it worth nought at the end of the day?

Just to prove a point to PC28 and others who can’t seem to understand the concept that continued success is a possibility and all clubs should aim for it. Granted there will always be the odd off year.

Essendon with Sheedy at the helm, since 1980 have made 18 out of 23 finals series. 78%. Hawthorn would be similar since 1980.

West Coast since commencing the league would be similar around 70%
Adelaide since joining would be similar around 70%.
North since the 1990’s would be over 80%

I don’t have the exact stats on the last couple yet I don’t understand pessimistic views on the boards.

London Bulldog is right. No team will win premierships every year but with good administration, recruiting and TRADING clubs can remain in the top group for long periods. Despite what a minority of posters say on this board I think we have got the administration right and Clayton has the recruiting on track after a dark ages in the 1990's. I think our performance at the trade table has been poor compared to West Coast and Essendon but hopefully that will improve. A major drawback has been our financial instability but hopefully the administration can move to making the Bulldogs an attractive option to established players.

Perhaps we should look outside football to see examples of sustained success and model our approach on theirs. Some examples of hugely successful clubs we could study in other sports (just of the top of my head) are:-

Basketball - the Harlem Globe Trotters

Ice Hockey - the Mighty Ducks

Roller Derby - the Texas Thunderbirds

Please don't lampoon me about there being no such team as the Texas Thunderbirds - I realised it was the Outlaws as soon as I posted it but there is no recall button on these things. Anyway you get my drift.

It's a theory that doesn't have a lot of substance.

The examples given show that 1 team over any 4-5 year period can maintain that sort of success.

In these periods you might be lucky to have 2 teams show some description of high consistancy.

Does that leave the other 14 teams mis managed? Or does it show that you'll always be able to provide exceptions to the general norm?

From 92-2000 we were 7 finals appearances from 9 seasons.

Continued success is one thing LB, but you said "10 years at the top". Surely our 7 from 9 goes close to fitting that. Would be in the top 3 or so for that period i would imagine

Remove this Banner Ad

Traitors must be shot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back