Trash Talking in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for sharing Magpie Jo, I'm sorry you've been made to suffer, especially by someone you should have been able to trust and feel safe with. Your reply shows how raw and long lasting these awful experiences continue to be.
Thankyou. They certainly do. I’m sure a lot of make bravado comes from similar backgrounds. Time to stop the cycle.

You do realise a large number of the suicides you refer to are men who grew up in the age where showing feelings was considered a weakness?
To be fair I don't think he put any more thought i to it than "grrrr men big strong like rocks. Water weak. Tears water, man cry is weak. Big strong man is dry like rock"

Everything is bullying now in the same way that everything is harassment. Harassment used to mean PERSISTENT unwanted attention. Now it's a single remark.

In the same way bullying used to mean an ongoing campaign and now people use the word to describe a one off.

And anyone who says words are worse than physical violence is deeply ignorant. Every single person that has ever been hurt by a word has chosen to be hurt by it. The difference between the verbal and the physical is you don't have a choice when it is physical.

There's a degree of truth in what you say, but there's gotta be a line mate.

There's a big difference between saying a bloke is **** at footy, or that he has a rude head or whatever pissy insult is thrown about. That's stuff you just get on with.

Mentioning family is a completely different level. Not only is it pretty gutless to attack someone who's not there to defend themselves, but it's just a line that shouldn't be crossed particularly when Petty can't exactly do much in way of response.

Maybe it's just me, but I was taught from a pretty young age that you don't bring up another blokes family. It's just a **** thing to do.

You do realise a large number of the suicides you refer to are men who grew up in the age where showing feelings was considered a weakness?
This is not correct. The suicide rate is higher overall but the worst of it is among young people. A 20 year old man is more likely to do that today than a 60 year old. Men more than women, and the young more than the old. The data does not support that the modern approach to mental health is lowering the suicide rate.

People have a bias towards assuming new ideas are better than old ideas. Then there is the hive mind. People decide to believe in things because others do. People have decided sticks and stones is wrong. And they're ignoring how the new mentality coincides with worse outcomes.

There can be a debate about the exact causes, and what is a cause and what is a correlation. But there can be no debate that the 2010s and 20s have been worse for mental health than the 70s and 80s.

People in this thread have argued physical violence can be justified if we are offended enough by words. That is not something anyone in a civilised society should be arguing.

You have some points.
My thrust was that we have choice when

You have some good points there I concede.

Your points back my position that we have choice in what we find offensive/hurtful and to what degree.

You are extrapolating an evolution that has happened on a societal level, over a period of decades to the personal experiences of individuals, in the heat of the moment.

As a society, we've generally evolved to be more accepting and less offended by, say, jokes about religion. But to a person that was born and raised in the faith and has deeply held religious beliefs, you can't just tell them not to be offended when they hear a joke about Jesus. You can't really tell them that their offense is a "choice", because from their perspective it isn't. And it's arrogant to try and tell someone how they should feel based on your experiences.

I don't believe Dimma was caught cheating whilst his new wife was pregnant with their first child?

It will nice to have the whole AFL community supporting our efforts to send the angry midget off to Mad Monday in 2 weeks time.

I don't believe that was Zorko either? Routine shit bloke like Dimma for cheating on their partners.

I don't believe that was Zorko either? Routine s**t bloke like Dimma for cheating on their partners.
You need to catch up on the news pal. Zorko is a shite bloke and cheated on his wife whilst she was heavily pregnant.

What an absolute campaigner of a bloke and your club made in captain! LOLLLLLLLLL

No wonder you can't win a final.

You need to catch up on the news pal. Zorko is a shite bloke and cheated on his wife whilst she was heavily pregnant.

What an absolute campaigner of a bloke and your club made in captain! LOLLLLLLLLL

No wonder you can't win a final.

I'm quite sure that was Gary Rohan. Zorko's kid was 2-3yo at the time.

Richmond won a premiership while being coached by a guy that was fooling around with a staffer behind his wife's back. Zorko's off-field antics aren't the reason we're not winning finals.

Like you said yourself though, and I agree, Zorko and Dimma are both shit blokes.

This is not correct. The suicide rate is higher overall but the worst of it is among young people. A 20 year old man is more likely to do that today than a 60 year old. Men more than women, and the young more than the old. The data does not support that the modern approach to mental health is lowering the suicide rate.

People have a bias towards assuming new ideas are better than old ideas. Then there is the hive mind. People decide to believe in things because others do. People have decided sticks and stones is wrong. And they're ignoring how the new mentality coincides with worse outcomes.

There can be a debate about the exact causes, and what is a cause and what is a correlation. But there can be no debate that the 2010s and 20s have been worse for mental health than the 70s and 80s.

People in this thread have argued physical violence can be justified if we are offended enough by words. That is not something anyone in a civilised society should be arguing.
I don’t know what stats you are looking at but they sound incorrect when compared to AIHW. Highest suicide rates are in middle aged men when presented as deaths per 100,000 and whilst suicide rates in young males have increased they are well below their older counterparts.

Source

In fact based on the above stats basically all of your post is inaccurate. Up until 2020 the 16-19 and 20-24 year old age groups had the two lowest suicide rates overall for men.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trash Talking in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back