Trash Talking in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen a lot of Brisbane fans defending Zorko's supposed comments. That being said, are you able to tell us what the comments were so we can determine he did the wrong thing, or are you just going off heresay posted on an internet forum?

I immediately changed what I wrote to allow for the fact that nothing has been proven.

What I have read from what seems to be a reasonable number of lions fans on this forum basically amounts to ‘if that’s what he said, it’s been happening for years and it shouldn’t upset someone that much.’

Everything is bullying now in the same way that everything is harassment. Harassment used to mean PERSISTENT unwanted attention. Now it's a single remark.

In the same way bullying used to mean an ongoing campaign and now people use the word to describe a one off.

And anyone who says words are worse than physical violence is deeply ignorant. Every single person that has ever been hurt by a word has chosen to be hurt by it. The difference between the verbal and the physical is you don't have a choice when it is physical.
oh wow how wrong you are
as someones whos father was a merciless bully i can tell you now, yes he hit brutally on occassion, but what has really really scarred my mind, and i can still hear the comments at the age of 58, are the words. I did not choose that and i could not escape. day after ****ing day, it took me a very long time to say yes, **** you, i am good enough. He destroyed my mother. and before you say it, no back then she couldnt leave. when she could she did, but it was far too late to save her.

If Rage/frustration/infuriation is foreign or not part of your natural make-up it can easily lead to tears. Keeping a lid on your desire to rip out another man larynx is a very traumatic experience to some.
I wouldn't necessarily consider it soft. Probably a lot harder to express yourself through tears whilst containing your natural instinct then it is to simply act upon said instinct.

That point you reach where your whole body is quivering so hard in anger that you can't string a sentence together is just one step away from breaking down into a mess of Waterworks. With some people this is the only rational alternative to complete loss of self control, I.e Rage based Manslaughter/Assaults etc.

Whatever comes of it and whatever was said, I'm thinking Zorko might have dodged a bullet here.

Last edited:

I immediately changed what I wrote to allow for the fact that nothing has been proven.

What I have read from what seems to be a reasonable number of lions fans on this forum basically amounts to ‘if that’s what he said, it’s been happening for years and it shouldn’t upset someone that much.’

I question your definition of a "reasonable number", and most of the comments I've seen to that effect have come from supporters of other teams.

I always thought Minson was not right in the head.
I had the displeasure of meeting him one day when he came in to get his windscreen fixed, He was the rudest human being I have ever met and acted like it was a massive inconvenience just to have to talk to someone who was beneath him in order to have his vehicle fixed.

oh wow how wrong you are
as someones whos father was a merciless bully i can tell you now, yes he hit brutally on occassion, but what has really really scarred my mind, and i can still hear the comments at the age of 58, are the words. I did not choose that and i could not escape. day after ******* day, it took me a very long time to say yes, * you, i am good enough. He destroyed my mother. and before you say it, no back then she couldnt leave. when she could she did, but it was far too late to save her.
I'm sorry you went through that. Psychological control is awful and it's very real.

oh wow how wrong you are
as someones whos father was a merciless bully i can tell you now, yes he hit brutally on occassion, but what has really really scarred my mind, and i can still hear the comments at the age of 58, are the words. I did not choose that and i could not escape. day after ******* day, it took me a very long time to say yes, * you, i am good enough. He destroyed my mother. and before you say it, no back then she couldnt leave. when she could she did, but it was far too late to save her.
I too have been victim of both kinds of abuse. I guess it comes down to personal opinions but there will never be any word in the english dictionary that hurts as much as a fist.

Zorko is a bad person if what he is alleged to have said is true. But that still would never have been a justification for Petty to hit him as some have argued.

oh wow how wrong you are

I'm very sorry to hear you went through that. I hope you're in a better place now. I see you, friend. :)

I had the displeasure of meeting him one day when he came in to get his windscreen fixed, He was the rudest human being I have ever met and acted like it was a massive inconvenience just to have to talk to someone who was beneath him in order to have his vehicle fixed.
Sounds like an entitled jerk.

Worst of all, he plays the SAXOPHONE!!!

I question your definition of a "reasonable number", and most of the comments I've seen to that effect have come from supporters of other teams.

That’s fair. I’ve been back through I a couple of threads in which I’ve read the issue being discussed and it’s not the sort of concentration I had in my mind.

Everything is bullying now in the same way that everything is harassment. Harassment used to mean PERSISTENT unwanted attention. Now it's a single remark.

In the same way bullying used to mean an ongoing campaign and now people use the word to describe a one off.

And anyone who says words are worse than physical violence is deeply ignorant. Every single person that has ever been hurt by a word has chosen to be hurt by it. The difference between the verbal and the physical is you don't have a choice when it is physical.

The definition has not changed, although, what has changed is people's willingness to enforce the spirit of those laws.

Personally I think it’s pathetic that a comment from an opposition player can bring a bloke to tears. Toughen up for * sake. How soft have we become. They’re only words

The problem with your comment is this is a footballer's workplace, and like any workplaces there are rules and standards based on the law.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If someone could chose to be hurt by a word or not, why would anyone chose to be hurt by it?

The idea that you can choose to be offended by something is the most ridiculous idea in modern society.

It can be fine if done well. Ben Hudson was a champion at it - never went below the belt.
He even told an opposition player once "You're even uglier than Murph".... while Bob Murphy was standing next to him

Dollars to donuts Zorko will be a 'mysterious out' next time Brisbane play The Dees.

I have always thought he was a cowardly sniper of a player, and next time the Dees play the Lions (If it's not in the finals), Zorko is absolutely going to cop a physical hammering from The Dees players and rightfully so.

Like all cowards, Zorko is the type of loser that will run away from people bigger and stronger than him.

Pretty sure that's bullshit.

Eddie McGuire was asked about it on Footy Classified and said it never happened.
I googled it and you were right and apparently the sledge was about Darren Millane, not Mick's Father.

But I heard that rumour when I was in high school at any rate (over 20 years ago) and Woosha (whom I really admired as a player) did have a reputation for being a trash talker on field.

If someone could chose to be hurt by a word or not, why would anyone chose to be hurt by it?

The idea that you can choose to be offended by something is the most ridiculous idea in modern society.
The idea that we have no ability to self control our feelings and emotions is not healthy. It gives too much power to the person trying to hurt you. I know "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me" is not fashionable anymore. But perhaps people should take a look at the change in the suicide rate over the last few decades and maybe it would suggest that not all modern ideas are working. And not all old fashioned ideas were wrong.

I too have been victim of both kinds of abuse. I guess it comes down to personal opinions but there will never be any word in the english dictionary that hurts as much as a fist.

Zorko is a bad person if what he is alleged to have said is true. But that still would never have been a justification for Petty to hit him as some have argued.
I disagree completely with the first but I won’t write more to try and change your opinion. I don’t need to, I have scars from both I know which have done the most damage. I don’t know your circumstances ,but you won’t change your mind, so

I agree violence is not the answer however if it was a racial comment he would not play next game, this should be handled the same.

Thing is you don’t know what’s going on in someone’s family, what if the girl had just had a miscarriage? No he had no way of knowing but that’s exactly why you don’t get personal.

As a mum I never allowed name calling in our house, you could say that was a stupid thing to do but you don’t call the person stupid. Except umpires.

I remember the Kane Cornes incident how fricken disgusting . That’s not gamesmanship and neither is this

The idea that we have no ability to self control our feelings and emotions is not healthy. It gives too much power to the person trying to hurt you. I know "sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me" is not fashionable anymore. But perhaps people should take a look at the change in the suicide rate over the last few decades and maybe it would suggest that not all modern ideas are working. And not all old fashioned ideas were wrong.

You don’t think that has anything to do with the volume of ways in which someone can deliver those words?

The problem in this discussion is we do not know what Zorko said. However, it is not about new ideas but the law. I don't get why some people think its acceptable when one can easily sledge without being an arseh*le.

I’m deaf. You can’t tell. I talk normally, I have list 30 percent hearing and voices are muffled, it’s very difficult especially with masks. I’ve copped and put up with so so much shit.

Then one day amongst the ribbing my hubby said “welcome to my world” and got the laughs. That was it the last straw, the one you just don’t see coming, and that’s what it is, something so personal and painful you don’t see it coming, why would you? There is no time to choose to accept that hurt it stabs you in the heart.

In private I told him I hope you go deaf for a day, and then you will see my reality, the one I can never escape, (hearing aides make things louder not clearer). He also has a chronic condition, I pointed out I’d never joke about it. No he’s never said it again.

Life hurts sometimes, parents, loved ones, die. Or they get scary sick. Everyone has a story. Everyone has a breaker point. Exploiting that is not, should not, be a part of footy.

I disagree completely with the first but I won’t write more to try and change your opinion. I don’t need to, I have scars from both I know which have done the most damage. I don’t know your circumstances ,but you won’t change your mind, so

I agree violence is not the answer however if it was a racial comment he would not play next game, this should be handled the same.

Thing is you don’t know what’s going on in someone’s family, what if the girl had just had a miscarriage? No he had no way of knowing but that’s exactly why you don’t get personal.

As a mum I never allowed name calling in our house, you could say that was a stupid thing to do but you don’t call the person stupid. Except umpires.

I remember the Kane Cornes incident how fricken disgusting . That’s not gamesmanship and neither is this

"Except umpires" lol.

The problem in this discussion is we do not know what Zorko said. However, it is not about new ideas but the law. I don't get why some people think its acceptable when one can easily sledge without being an a-hole.

Which Law are you referring to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trash Talking in the AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back