Travis Boak - Over rated by our supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Boak is the quintessential "great clubman", with all the positives and negatives associated with that phrase.

Boak at his best was in my opinion something of a poor man's Greg Williams, which is intended as a compliment, not an insult.

Unfortunately his skills tended to let him down at inopportune times and he just couldn't be relied on to deliver in the critical moments.

Sadly, my enduring memories of him will be in two PFs ten years apart. Missing a straighforward shot for goal in first quarter of the 2014 PF when we had all the momentum and had a real chance to put Hawthorn to the sword early, as we had done to Richmond two weeks prior. And then in 2024 gifting Sydney their first goal to set them on their way just when the spectre of another slow start and scoreless first quarter against Port was starting to loom large for them.

It's sad that he's played for Port in an unsuccesful era and he'll end his career without a premiership but in the cold light of day I don't think it's unfair to point out the part he himself played in making it an unsuccesful era.

If I was selecting an all time team of the best "good blokes" to play for Port in the AFL era he'd probably be the first one picked but if I'm picking a best 22 to try and win a premiership, to deliver on the big stage, he's not in it - there are just too many midfield types we've had that were better than him in terms of skill and poise under pressure.

Finally, if I were a new coach coming in now, I would be telling Trav to retire. I'd tell him he'll always have an honoured place at Port and be welcome at the club, but I wouldn't be offering him any official role or ongoing employment. I think it's time to make a clean break with the past and with those associated with the unsuccesful era. It's time to move on and try to build a new culture of success without the baggage of past failure and Trav is unfortunately part of that baggage.

We would’ve been better off with him having 0 possessions, I lost count how many of his turnovers resulted in scores from Sydney.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Sydney would've been happy to see the ball in his hands deep in the back 50.
They caned him all night and his direct play and turnovers cost us at least four goals.
I didn't do the scoring involvements but he would've featured in there as well.

He played hard and did a few good things but he had terrible, momentum killing turnovers that was a major reason for the loss.

You can almost excuse that from a young player but not a veteran.

Sydney would've been happy to see the ball in his hands deep in the back 50.
They caned him all night and his direct play and turnovers cost us at least four goals.
I didn't do the scoring involvements but he would've featured in there as well.

He played hard and did a few good things but he had terrible, momentum killing turnovers that was a major reason for the loss.

You can almost excuse that from a young player but not a veteran.
I doubt we could excuse a young player for Boak's lace out pass direct to a swan who was about 30 metres from goal and with no angle for the shot with which he scored a goal when he had other options including a kick down the left hand boundary line, or a handball to a team mate who was in space a few metres away to his left and who also should have been able to get the ball out of the danger zone.

Even if the kick down the line had drifted out on the full the receiver of the free would have been on a difficult angle or been too far out to score which would have at the least given the Port defence the time to set up instead of having to watch an absolute soda come back over their heads.

Boak's disposal particularly by foot has often been poor, and in Friday night's game some of his decision making highlighted just how bad it can be.

I doubt we could excuse a young player for Boak's lace out pass direct to a swan who was about 30 metres from goal and with no angle for the shot with which he scored a goal when he had other options including a kick down the left hand boundary line, or a handball to a team mate who was in space a few metres away to his left and who also should have been able to get the ball out of the danger zone.

Even if the kick down the line had drifted out on the full the receiver of the free would have been on a difficult angle or been too far out to score which would have at the least given the Port defence the time to set up instead of having to watch an absolute soda come back over their heads.

Boak's disposal particularly by foot has often been poor, and in Friday night's game some of his decision making highlighted just how bad it can be.
He had a bit of a look in his eye like I'm costing us the game but I've been picked and I'm just going to work harder for longer.

The thing about Boak's turnovers were that they were very simple kicks.

It's not like Sydney were hounding him with pressure.
They were, but he's not an elite kick and never has been. Sydney were dragging him deep into defence to deliberately exploit this and our "coach" was just sitting back and watching.

Had Hinkley made a change after the first turn over, that potentially saves 3 goals.

There were about 10 worse games from players tonight alone.
Worse than minus 4 goals? I don’t think so. Boak would have played a better game if he didn’t touch the ball. Was comfortably worst on ground.

Hard to imagine people on this board rate Trav higher than someone like Roger James it's lunacy, he wouldn't get in my second string Port midfield in the AFL era.

Hard to imagine people on this board rate Trav higher than someone like Roger James it's lunacy, he wouldn't get in my second string Port midfield in the AFL era.
Can't recall Roger James ever finishing 2nd in the Brownlow?

Roger James at his peak was better than current day Boak, obviously. But Roger James was retired by 30. That's not current day Travis Boak, that's Travis Boak 6 years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roger James at his peak was better than current day Boak, obviously. But Roger James was retired by 30. That's not current day Travis Boak, that's Travis Boak 6 years ago.
Who cares about longevity it's like saying he's better than Kouta because he's fittery for longery.

Roger James at his peak was far better than Travis at any point in his career I couldn't care less about the midfield stat pad medal.

Josh Francou also polled well
In the Brownlow but his kicking skills were as bad if not worse than Boaks. I am confident in saying Francou never finished in the top 5 of a Port BnF.

Boak is anti clutch and a choker, but a good looking one with no off field misdemeanors so makes the Port
Community proud which is what is most important for the club these days.

Port supporters and their rose tinted memories of anybody who happened to play in the era we won a premiership are hilarious. Dean Brogan better than Paddy Ryder, Roger James better than Travis Boak. I'm surprised I haven't read that Josh Mahoney was better than Robbie Gray yet.

Last edited:
Who cares about longevity it's like saying he's better than Kouta because he's fittery for longery.

Roger James at his peak was far better than Travis at any point in his career I couldn't care less about the midfield stat pad medal.

Far better, jesus. This is applying maximum rose coloured glasses to James and giving Boak absolutely nothing.

Boak has just been around so long and we're all so disenfranchised that we've forgotten what his best footy looked like.

He was dragging us to wins in 2013/2014. He was still an elite midfielder in 2020, coming 2nd in the Brownlow. He had a stint in between where Hinkley played him in an impossible half forward role that only he could play with any sort of effectiveness, but if he'd been left in the midfield he'd probably have another couple of AA guernseys.

Roger James was very good at his best but he wasn't as good as Travis Boak at his best. And his best footy didn't last for anywhere near as long as Boak's best footy did.

Nothing rose tinted about it if you are significantly lacking in skill level you really can't be on the top rung.

Plenty of elite midfielders don't have elite kicking skills and plenty of elite skilled players aren't great in the midfield so they get shunted to half back.

Name your 1st and 2nd string AFL era Port midfields with players better than Boak.

The only reason Roger James peak wasn't longer was because Choco was as dopey as you two early doors, ended up pulling his ass out of the fire in a prelim when he was the only bloke on the field standing up before the Gehrig hunge invasion.

The only reason Roger James peak wasn't longer was because Choco was as dopey as you two early doors, ended up pulling his ass out of the fire in a prelim when he was the only bloke on the field standing up before the Gehrig hunge invasion.

James was a very talented and clever midfielder but you're remembering 1 finals series. If he'd played like that all the time he'd have a couple of AA guernseys and a best and fairest.

I agree fully that the Brownlow isn't a perfect metric, but he is a midfielder, and he managed just 2 Brownlow votes in 2004 in a season where we won 17 games. He came 8th in our B&F. Really good, but better than someone with 3 All Australian guernseys?

Remove this Banner Ad

Travis Boak - Over rated by our supporters?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back