Remove this Banner Ad

Mr T

All Australian
Oct 22, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
Heard on SEN this morning that Richmond are expected to enter the race for Travis Cloke.

Do we really need him?

Please no....

Think it may be a case of the media searching for a headline, and now will be looking for a quote from March/Gale/Cameron

Typical that a big name player comes out of contract and the same 3-4 clubs are linked year in year out

We have money, cap space and would slot into our forward line perfectly. We would probably win a flag with him. But nah lets no go for him, and not give a reason why, hey Tigey??^^

No.

He may be handy, but his performances at the minute against the $$$ he's asking for, too much risk. Plus didn't his dad say something like he wanted his kids to play for Collingwood and not Richmond when they all came on the scene (correct me if I am wrong) ?

I hope it's just rumour and nothing more.

Is he that good or is he a product of the team around him?

Is he(and his old man) worth the money they are asking?

Whats wrong with the bloke we have sitting in the square at the moment?

Definately think it its much better building on the kids we have a drafting for our needs, to say we will win a flag with him is a massive call. Stongly do beleive another MID or Gorilla down back would be better money spent

The other thing to remember is in 12-24 months time there are a bunch of kids from north of the border that will be out of contract, better to invest in one of those a 1/4 to 1/2 of the price with time on there side

No.

He may be handy, but his performances at the minute against the $$$ he's asking for, too much risk. Plus didn't his dad say something like he wanted his kids to play for Collingwood and not Richmond when they all came on the scene (correct me if I am wrong) ?

I hope it's just rumour and nothing more.
His dad wanted them all together. We didn't want Jason or Cameron.

Cameron was said to be doing due diligence with him, said it was his duty to look at all prospects.
No doubt we are just pot stirring. I'd love to do an old Richmond number and make a lot of noise about getting cloke whilst doing a snow job under every ones noses and getting Goddard. Be cheaper and better.

Is he that good or is he a product of the team around him?

Is he(and his old man) worth the money they are asking?

Whats wrong with the bloke we have sitting in the square at the moment?

Definately think it its much better building on the kids we have a drafting for our needs, to say we will win a flag with him is a massive call. Stongly do beleive another MID or Gorilla down back would be better money spent

The other thing to remember is in 12-24 months time there are a bunch of kids from north of the border that will be out of contract, better to invest in one of those a 1/4 to 1/2 of the price with time on there side

I think he'd be pretty good at drawing blokes off Jack. We have a need for him while we are playing McGuane and Miller this year. He'd be drawing the no.1 defender off Jack or Jack gets no.1 defender and Trav can smash a 2nd defender. Vickery gets the 3rd best. His ability to play further up the ground is his best asset and why he doesn't kick huge bags IMO. Has the ability to slot them from 60m out which neither Jack or Ty can do so that is a huge weapon along with his marking prowess. We can add those midfielders through the draft with what looks like a certain top 10 pick plus 2 picks in the 2nd round.

In regards to his old man, we won't have anything to do with him really seems he will sign a 5/6 year deal and will be into his 30's when this deal runs out then he either signs for what we want or we ditch him at that stage.

While he would be a great addition to the forward line I say no.
  • Has had only one good season off the back of one of the best midfields in the comp.
  • Is asking too much, and for too long (a year longer than Lids FFS).
  • Do not think he will match the team first ethos that has seen Dusty, Lids, Jack, Cotch all re-sign when more money was on offer up north.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go for him.

Would be perfect at CHF.

Love to piss of pies fans.

No.

Although he would certainly be very valuable at CHF (when he regains his best form) and sure it would be fun to land a big fish I can not agree at all to the stated terms... the $$$$ wanted and the length of the contract.

We are building nicely and the whole Cloke mess is too much of a risk to take overall despite the possible injection of an instant forward target.

Pass please...

I don't want that screwball David Cloke anywhere near our club ever again.
Trav is a good player, but I doubt he is worth the coin he is demanding. Too inconsistent.
But sometimes, for the betterment of the club you just gotta ask yourself, is having that lunatic David Cloke anywhere near the club worth it?
The answer is no.

Hmmm. Definitely an interesting one. He would shoot us straight into finals contention, if not top 4. Considering that we wouldn't have to trade anything for him I would be willing to make him an offer, nothing too stratospheric, and see what he does. If he's only chasing money, which I suspect is the case, then he can go elsewhere.

It certainly is enticing though. Hypothetical off season - Get Cloke (FA), Chaplin (FA), Sylvia for say a 2nd rounder, then we pick up Kennedy/Wines/Vlastuin/Mayes with our 1st pick and Pongracic/Hrovat/Atkins with our 2nd rd compo... Locked and loaded! Would love to see something like this happen. I don't think it's entirely ridiculous either. Is it?

There is a massive risk with taking this bloke he'll come in and carry on like a diva, and basically just piss off our core players and break the whole dynamic of the team. Seems like a selfish bloke, not sure he's got a team first mentality.
Another ruckmen, more midfield depth and a KPD first please.

Any club in the league would be stupid not to consider Cloke - only issue is his asking price. If you could somehow knock that down he'd be a great pick up... Not sure how much Jack would enjoy having another big name forward along side him though!

You can't whinge about our dysfunctional forward line and then not consider looking at cloke - would give us the CHF we so badly need. Jack at FF, Vickery to play 3rd tall/rotating ruck with a resting mid, nahas, king and edwards roating through the other positions.

Any club in the league would be stupid not to consider Cloke - only issue is his asking price. If you could somehow knock that down he'd be a great pick up... Not sure how much Jack would enjoy having another big name forward along side him though!

You can't whinge about our dysfunctional forward line and then not consider looking at cloke - would give us the CHF we so badly need. Jack at FF, Vickery to play 3rd tall/rotating ruck with a resting mid, nahas, king and edwards roating through the other positions.

That is actually a mouth-watering prospect, but do we really want to have to contend with the circus that is David Cloke...AGAIN?
I can't justify spending a significant % of cap space on a player like that. Wouldn't be surprised if the club are just saying things to throw those greasy Journos like Robbo off the scent of other free agents we're chasing.

Do we definitely have a war-chest for a big name free agent, or will it F*** our salary cap up?

I would think based on his form over the last month, or longer, this will now become the bargaining chip. This will allow more teams to get involved, because clearly he isn't worth anywhere near what he's asking.

But, some of the opinions here are right in saying we'd be negligent if we at least didn't explore the option. However I'd still hope we don't take him. The Cloke family will still ask for overs........

It's now time we threw our hat in the ring. Even if we don't get him, make the Pies sweat and pay overs. That'll affect their salary cap management at least hurt their hip pocket.

If we can get him for the right price, and manage to keep our other stars happy, then go for it. Cloke and Riewoldt would be an unstoppable combo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Travis Cloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back