Travis Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Calls for Varcoe to be dropped

I bagged him in this thread after the Collingwood game, but after being at the game tonight I thought he was alright.

Did quite a bit of valuable decoy running and did three very good things which resulted in goals for us. Was still soft as and picks and chooses when to run hard.....but I wouldn't drop him on that performance.

I thought he was better today, although still down. Last quarter he stepped up but he doesn't look right to me physically. One time in the 3rd he looked nailed to the ground. Its hard to fathom.

Maybe there's signs of improvement, then again maybe he needs a week...again its Scott's call. At 12-0 its hard to complain about selection ( even though some here have little trouble in doing so ).

We may have a few out next week anyway...for various reasons.

Wasnt his worst game of the year, but was still pretty ordinary. Had a couple of little runs, and got a few decent possesions, but I still don't think he was acceptable overall.

Just looks lazy at times, and soft as butter when attacking the football. Just does NOT go in hard, instead just doing little half-arsed bumps. Needs to LIIIIIFFFFTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!

I don't think it was acceptable. Until later in the game didn't chase as much as a small forward should, and while he had a few nice runs, certainly didn't go as hard at it as he needs to.

Needs at least a fortnight in the reserves. Christensen and Byrnes should both be ahead of him at the moment. His form is a real worry.

I can't remember a Geelong player being in as poor of form as he is right now.

I like the kid but he needs to be dropped for his own sake as much as anything.

It could also be that some fans want weaknesses eradicated so the side becomes even stronger.

Eradicated?
There's a difference between suggesting perhaps a player needs to go back to the reserves and rushing to the PC to gloat over a poor performance whilst doing internet cartwheels at the fact one was 'right'.

My issue isn't about Travis, at all, it's about the minority who take a dislike to one of our players and subsequently take every opportunity to not only go 'ner ner i was right' but also mercilessly attack the player whenever they believe he's performed poorly.
We saw it with Shan Shan, we saw it with Andrew Mackie and now we're seeing it with Trav and from where i sit it's horribly poor form and pretty distasteful.

Earned a couple of extra possessions tonight for a total of 12, which is still poor,( Hawkins was dropped the week he got 12) but they were all gimmee's, never earn't by putting his body on the line.

The split mark effort proved to me he's just to worried about body contact for senior footy, and his tackling is inept and weak, just trotts around at half pace doing nothing.

I'd like to drop him for Jack Weston, this young fella's got real pace and isn't afraid to go in hard, a nice sized type as well.
Another with huge potential just waiting, just hope we don't wait to long to use him.

I thought Mitch Duncan was great, just courageous in the guts, even after being KO'd.

Anyway, to be blunt, get rid of the dude!

No seriously, WTF is wrong with this guy?
The reversal of form this guy has going here is on par with Brian Lake in terms of severity. I really do find it hard to pick a positive in the way he is playing this year! Slow, uncompetitive physically, skills are rusty at best by his usual standard, body language smacks of disinterest. FFS mate if your not fit or you've got things external to football going on then put your hand up, go away, get it right, come back and give something!

Talk of him being a decoy runner are BS, you can't be a decoy if the opposition know you're not going to get it. Who ever gets the job on TV must rub their hands together in the knowledge that they can keep up with him in the chase for the ball (if he even bothers) push him off the contest when they get there and then bust his tackles.

In my opinion it's frustrating, hard to watch and even harder to explain how he keeps his spot. I'd rather see Blake get a run than TV, would have more of an impact, and produce more of an effort!

Eradicated?
There's a difference between suggesting perhaps a player needs to go back to the reserves and rushing to the PC to gloat over a poor performance whilst doing internet cartwheels at the fact one was 'right'.

My issue isn't about Travis, at all, it's about the minority who take a dislike to one of our players and subsequently take every opportunity to not only go 'ner ner i was right' but also mercilessly attack the player whenever they believe he's performed poorly.
We saw it with Shan Shan, we saw it with Andrew Mackie and now we're seeing it with Trav and from where i sit it's horribly poor form and pretty distasteful.

I'm not one for taking pot shots at our players unwarranted either EY, but I've watched Trav pretty closely over the last few weeks and my conclusion on where he's at at the moment is he would make a bloody good boundary umpire.
Time for a run in the 2s for his own good.

I'm not one for taking pot shots at our players unwarranted either EY, but I've watched Trav pretty closely over the last few weeks and my conclusion on where he's at at the moment is he would make a bloody good boundary umpire.
Time for a run in the 2s for his own good.

I've got absolutely no problem with suggesting he needs time in the VFL to find some form and confidence, in fact i agree with such a call, but it's the schadenfreude exhibited by some that i find distasteful.

I've got absolutely no problem with suggesting he needs time in the VFL to find some form and confidence, in fact i agree with such a call, but it's the schadenfreude exhibited by some that i find distasteful.

I understood that and agree with your sentiments.

I bagged him in this thread after the Collingwood game, but after being at the game tonight I thought he was alright.

Did quite a bit of valuable decoy running and did three very good things which resulted in goals for us. Was still soft as and picks and chooses when to run hard.....but I wouldn't drop him on that performance.

I noticed that too.
I wonder if he is playing a role never seen before. And I'm serious. And it sounds incredibly dumb. But is there a possibility he is playing a void filler role.

i.e. he just keep doing laps non stop. Fills space. Makes an opponent stick with him therefor reducing the backs to five.

I don't know. It sounds dumb just typing it. But it's what he is doing. And if he doesn't get dropped then maybe..............

I haven't seen that many games this year and so am relying on posters who did see the game - to help fill in the gaps.

It has not been a good season for Trav. He played better last year - I think most would agree that assessment.

Just do not see any more value now in playing him over someone like Christensen. Sure not like for like - but I see Bundy having more possessions and being overall more dangerous/effective than Travis.

I must admit I prefer hard nosed players who hunt the ball or an opposition player with the pill. However we do lack some leg speed in the side - so having Travis in the side is always appealing.

I am not sure we have a significant number of VFL players pushing thru jsut yet - but I can see Byrnes also being a serious impediment to Travis making a quick return from the twos.

However given the possibly long injury list from against the Saints - and Selwood still having another 3 weeks off - he still might get a guernsey this week against the Crows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've stayed out of this thread waiting for Trav to find his feet. But I was at the Hawks and Saints games and he has been pretty bad the past two weeks. Last night his 4th qtr was ok, but for the rest of the game he just didn't seem interested.

He's not the same player than ran down Buddy last year. Whether it's the expectations of him stepping up this year or something else, I'm not sure. Hope he can find the passion again, because it looks like he's not enjoying his footy at the moment.

I haven't seen that many games this year and so am relying on posters who did see the game - to help fill in the gaps.

It has not been a good season for Trav. He played better last year - I think most would agree that assessment.

Just do not see any more value now in playing him over someone like Christensen. Sure not like for like - but I see Bundy having more possessions and being overall more dangerous/effective than Travis.

I must admit I prefer hard nosed players who hunt the ball or an opposition player with the pill. However we do lack some leg speed in the side - so having Travis in the side is always appealing.

I am not sure we have a significant number of VFL players pushing thru jsut yet - but I can see Byrnes also being a serious impediment to Travis making a quick return from the twos.

However given the possibly long injury list from against the Saints - and Selwood still having another 3 weeks off - he still might get a guernsey this week against the Crows.

Did you see Weston in the 2's, speed to burn, not a bad size either, apart from Christensen there's one I'd like to see given a chance.

Did you see Weston in the 2's, speed to burn, not a bad size either, apart from Christensen there's one I'd like to see given a chance.

l saw Weston he had the long sleeves on,he's run and carry was highlight prob wont get a game in the one's.he only just got back from injury but one to keep a eye on.

Weston? Been back for one game after a long injury break...but yea bring him in....**** bring anyone in...please.....anyone....ANYONE.....:rolleyes:

Weston? Been back for one game after a long injury break...but yea bring him in....**** bring anyone in...please.....anyone....ANYONE.....:rolleyes:

Cowan is more likely than Weston - having been there recently - but even then I think Varcoe will get another run if we get injuries and suspensions from the Saints game.

He's not fit and it's effecting his game in every capacity. We should do what ever is neccessary to get him fit and firing for finals.

He's not fit and it's effecting his game in every capacity. We should do what ever is neccessary to get him fit and firing for finals.

a couple of times in third quarter he looked like he just couldn't accelerate with the play...OP?

Better in the last quarter and did a few good things but has struggled to impose himself in the last month. Scott has had him in every game so far ( pretty funny given the vitriol he has drawn from some posters ) and with a few possibly missing next week, who knows what selection will be, especially with Dasher, Jimmy and Kelly in some doubt for the Adelaide game.

And then there's the MRP.........................

He needs a break. I don't often comment on such things but Trav has been really poor in recent games. Time to get him fit or whatever for the end of the season.

Varcoe is my fav player, but something is amiss. Its time not to drop him, but give him a rest. Give him 2 weeks to freshen up, tell him to go chat with Stokesy about what footy means to him. We need Travis firing for the finals, this is a must.

Varcoe is my fav player, but something is amiss. Its time not to drop him, but give him a rest. Give him 2 weeks to freshen up, tell him to go chat with Stokesy about what footy means to him. We need Travis firing for the finals, this is a must.

General soreness but not too sore that he can't play 2's. :thumbsu:

a couple of times in third quarter he looked like he just couldn't accelerate with the play...OP?

Better in the last quarter and did a few good things but has struggled to impose himself in the last month. Scott has had him in every game so far ( pretty funny given the vitriol he has drawn from some posters ) and with a few possibly missing next week, who knows what selection will be, especially with Dasher, Jimmy and Kelly in some doubt for the Adelaide game.

And then there's the MRP.........................

Possible but I think unlikely.

He occasionally shows a burst of speed like the run (were he miss bounced it) and the way he turned and kicked to Menzel you'd expect would be a problem for a player with OP.

I just think with the off season surgery he didn't get enough work in and is suffering because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back