Travis Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Calls for Varcoe to be dropped

Yes, he was poor tonight. Didn't seem to get into it at all.

Great fare for the haters. I will continue to support him however because he is a fine player.

I see the headmaster hardly waited for the siren to go before getting into TV...and me of course. Well you enjoy it pal...TV will make you look like the melon you are before the season's out.

something is not right with him. It has been going on for weeks now. But I am told I am wrong by David the Brat so we must all be imagining it. Geelong are 9-0 so that apparently means everyone is playing fantastic footy.:rolleyes:

BTW headmaster,... I didn't tell you anything. I have never addressed you in any post on this subject ( or any other for that matter ) apart from defending the personal attack you made on me earlier in this thread, and this one.

But you keep sniping away pal. If it makes you feel important or adds some value to your existence then throw the lot at me....your need feeds me.

But, prepare to look like ( more of ) a dope though before season's end. ( if that's possible )

Meanwhile, I will continue to support our players through thick and thin. You ought to try it sometime.:thumbsu:

Serious question David.

I get that you wanna support all our players and refuse to speak ill of them. But do you understand the need for players to be dropped for playing poor football week after week and that players playing good football in the reserves should be promoted to takes these players spots?

Your acceptance for mediocrity would make you a terrible coach. Trav won't improve by continually getting free passes for his bad games, nor will any player. I want Trav in the side but only when he has earned his spot. He hasn't at the moment. A couple of games in the reserves to carve up and he might be back to the player we know he can be.

Serious question David.

I get that you wanna support all our players and refuse to speak ill of them. But do you understand the need for players to be dropped for playing poor football week after week and that players playing good football in the reserves should be promoted to takes these players spots?

Your acceptance for mediocrity would make you a terrible coach. Trav won't improve by continually getting free passes for his bad games, nor will any player. I want Trav in the side but only when he has earned his spot. He hasn't at the moment. A couple of games in the reserves to carve up and he might be back to the player we know he can be.

Just like Chris Scott?

But so so seriously, yes he was ordinary tonight. No two ways about it. No use defending that sort of form.

Still, we are saving the world in here and the GFC one roast at a time :thumbsu:

Varcoe was RUBBISH tonight.

I've been his biggest supporter, but after talking him up as a All-Australian certainty this year to all my mates, he's really making me look like a JERK!

Just like Chris Scott?

I don't think Chris would be as kind behind closed doors with Trav as David the Cat is on here.

He's probably lucky he has such quality around him does Chris otherwise some of these continual selections would be raising serious questions. You can get away with it when you're winning.

He's made it clear he wants these guys in the side and we're lucky we can cover them at the moment till they try and find some form.

I don't think Chris would be as kind behind closed doors with Trav as David the Cat is on here.

He's probably lucky he has such quality around him does Chris otherwise some of these continual selections would be raising serious questions. You can get away with it when you're winning.

He's made it clear he wants these guys in the side and we're lucky we can cover them at the moment till they try and find some form.

Really? The modern game's that piss easy is it?

I mean we're carrying 25% of the side apparently, drop him, yeah drop him too; soon as we lose 1 game!!!, by joves I see everyone's point now, we'll probably have to drop 6 or 7 blokes to teach everyone a harsh life lesson.

He seems to have gone back into his shell and is doing low percentage flippy shit. According to statistics his tackles per game has gone from 4.1 last year to 1.7 this year.

Scott has been doing massive position rotations all over the ground - Varcoe seems unable to figure out how to get into the game beyond patchy forward work. He could be one of our primary leading targets, he's our quickest front half player by some margin. I get the feeling he is the sort of guy who needs constant positive re-enforcement.

However, he only just turned 23.

Serious question David.

You have asked a decent question Hoff, and I will answer it.

No, I don't accept mediocrity and if TV put in performances like tonight on a regular basis then I would have no problem giving him a run in the Reserves. Where we may differ is that IMO he hasn't been as bad as people have made out here...he hasn't played as well as I would have liked, granted, but some of his performances have been good to very good, but still attracted terrible reviews from the same old crowd. So when he doesn't play well like tonight, the negative focus is simply compounded. I can assure you if he had played a blinder tonight, ( and the same applies to Hawkins and Mackie ) the haters would simply have written it off as " well they can't do it against decent opposition".... or something similar.

Varcoe has copped an enormous amount of flak for lack of tackling pressure in particular, with some justification. Yet last year he was one of our best. Elite athletes don't just lose a skill overnight. None of us here are fully informed about what goes on in the background, within the inner circle. Perhaps he has a problem we don't know about. I don't know. Clearly though, up to now, the coaching staff, and match committee believe, like me, that Varcoe has played his role and deserves his place.

That in itself is a justification of my opinion on Varcoe and his value to the team.

OR are the Match Committee, Chris Scott, Brenton Sanderson, and the rest of the coaching and skills coaches ( and me and other TV supporters on this board ) wrong, and the numbnuts and snipers who sit behind their computers and have no real knowledge of the situations within the playing group, and who have been calling for Varcoe's head for weeks, therefore correct?

No mate...the Match Committee and the coaches are the informed ones and know exactly whats going on and what they want from their players..

I feel very comfortable sitting in their corner on this issue.

PS: By the way, I have coached admittedly only to U16's football, with success, and coached athletics to elite level with significant success. ( I understand this is an individual sport and has different dynamics ). I am, therefore, more than happy with my achievements as a coach...however that's hardly relevant here. But you raised it, and it gives me a chance to blow my own trumpet!! :D

Dave T C,

You stated, 'he was poor tonight', that's a soft letdown if I'd ever heard one, I'd put it as 'downright embarassing', take off the rose glasses mate, other than this fake your not a bad judge.

I've been trying to tell you for a while, as you know, but surely now, for the sake of the team, even you must admit he's just not hard enough to warrant his place.
It would be an injustice to the others who are prepared to take the consequences of going hard at the ball for him to retain his place in the team.

He looks frightened out there, pulls out of contests and jogs about all night (out of harms way) which isn't good for team moral or the youngsters that we're developing, he's just taking a spot away from them.
The other indiginous boys Stokes and Christiansen have got plenty of ticker, play them.

I believe Scott will pull the trigger on Varcoe this week and replace him with Mitch Duncan, which would be an easy call due to Duncans' form. At this level nothing less than a fierce desire is essential, at this point in time he's had every opportunity and toleration of the match commitee and has come up very short, times up.

Would love to see Vardy retained when Ottens returns as a tall marking option up forward rotating with Hawkins assisting with ruck duties and supporting Podsiadly as a tall optioal target. He needs the chopout Vardy gives as a tall marking threat which spreads the oppositions tall defenders allows Pods the one out.
Pods was good last night.

Also, how good is little Stoksey going this year!
Congrats Cowan.

Really? The modern game's that piss easy is it?

I mean we're carrying 25% of the side apparently, drop him, yeah drop him too; soon as we lose 1 game!!!, by joves I see everyone's point now, we'll probably have to drop 6 or 7 blokes to teach everyone a harsh life lesson.

What are you on about?

I said you can get away with carrying a few blokes when your winning.

No-ones going after Chris Scott are they? So what are you on about.

We are carrying a few blokes and the only reason it isn't being discussed heavily outside of these forums (i.e. the media) is because we haven't lost a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again disappointing. I was not for dropping him initially but geez this can not go on. Two kicks and 10 handballs would be a good place for him to look improve. If he simply reversed that or was around 8 and 4 his effect on the game despite few touches would have been greater as he is a beautiful kick but ordinary handball.

And again observed his tackles being shrugged off and brushed away with ease and at least one occasion where he refused to put his head and body over the ball/line of the ball in defense and it cost us a goal.

Was at the game last night and to be honest his efforts throughout the game were sub par. He looked disinterested with one lack of effort standing out in particular for me, close to the boundary line he could have taken an uncontested mark with turn of pace but just jogged after it and let it roll over the boundary, the boys down the ground had worked hard to make space and we would have had a genuine chance to go into our 50. But instead he was content to watch it trundle over the line and cause another stoppage.

No desperation in the way he plays, and to be honest he wasn't alone last night and the young suns made us look silly up until half time purely through effort an desperation

I agree with Dave here. Up until this week he has delivered that spark , albeit short lived, but we are expecting more. But we don't know what the coaches want from him. He does look tired. So I would not drop him to VFL. Maybe a couple of weeks sitting as a sub, getting really hungry for the contest. But the MC do make their decisions based on team needs, and even if he is out of the contest, maybe so is his opponent who has tended to be a gun player most weeks. 12 disposals is ordinary but not drastic. I'd still rather he was IN the team against Dogs, Hawks, Saints because we are winning, he is not costing us anything, and he is very likely to get it right this week anyway. Even that 3Q against Blues warrants selection. In a close high pressure game, he has the tendency to come up with the goods.
So it'll be my anguish if he's out this week as he has more upside than any replacement for him.

He had 4 tackles as well.That is better

I wouldn't drop him. Sub next week, could be very important against a hungry and improved Dogs, and then fresher for the Hawks.

But where was he tonight? Almost as if he was there to keep his opponent away from the action.

I thought he was playing to keep his testicles away from the action to be honest. Shithouse performance.

I was a bit gutted last night to be honest. Yes I have challenged his efforts in trying to get the ball off the opposition.

But when he had the ball last night he acted like he didn't want it.
Handballs to players under pressure. 1 metre handballs. And that effort in the backline when he just tried to toe poke it along rather than bend over and get it.

Back to the 2's for mine until he shows hunger.

Mooney looks cooked too.

What are you on about?

I said you can get away with carrying a few blokes when your winning.

No-ones going after Chris Scott are they? So what are you on about.

We are carrying a few blokes and the only reason it isn't being discussed heavily outside of these forums (i.e. the media) is because we haven't lost a game.

What are you on about mate? You cant get away with carrying blokes this season with 3 on the bench.

Any side who lets their structure slip this season will lose.

Players can be down on form, play poorly, but within the structure of the side they still have to offer something for us to keep winning.

To suggest we are carrying multiple players weekly whilst on top and undefeated and weirdly these guys keep getting picked is laughable.

Having said that Trav was really average last night and Duncan and Christensen as midfield players who can go forward are out of the side.

He signed a long term deal in January this year.

Interesting suggestion from Turbo. Maybe Adam not being there is having an effect?

He signed a long term deal in January this year.

Interesting suggestion from Turbo. Maybe Adam not being there is having an effect?

Any excuse is better than none, but to put this crap up is pathetic, just like he plays.

I am a wrap for him meto. You never have been. We all know that.
And right now we both have the same opinion of his form and place in the team.

I look forward to when we separate on opinions again. Because when that happens we'll be a better team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back