Travis Varcoe

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Calls for Varcoe to be dropped

internet-24591.jpg

Did not see the game today - but I checked the Stats and it seemed to me Lonergan had a very good day. Heaps of marks and more possessions - and 4 tackles.

Maybe easier to rack them up against a weaker team - but please can someone tell me if he looked as good as the Stats suggest ?

Lonners played with a confidence I have rarely seen from him. He set himself for a number of marks in circumstances he would usually have spoiled. Made very few errors and kept his intensity high for most of the day.

That being said, the entire backline had an absolute field day.

Don't think the bolded part is the right way to word it. Professional footballers should be able to endure some criticism. Varcoe played poorly in earlier games this year and deserved criticism; today he played well and absolutely deserved praise. Doesn't mean the negative posters (and I was one of them) were wrong about the other performances, it just means that hopefully he's turned his form around.

If he can continue to improve, which helps the team, I would love that thank you very much. No hesitation in that choice at all.

Patridge, good to see you :)

My wording was a bit confusing, sorry. I didn't mean that the people who criticised him were all wrong - far from it. I thought he had been down too. Rather, I just wanted to point out that if those same people are not willing to admit he played well today, they are either blind or a hater. Clearly you are neither.

My guess is he will be back to his woeful best next week, bookmark it!

Sure, he might. But there is nothing wrong with being happy to see Travis play well. That's kind of what it means to be a supporter, you know, the enjoyment that comes from seeing good players strut their stuff after being down. But no, let's focus on how bad he will be next week and what a disappointing season he has had more generally. It feels much better.

And if not, that was a woeful post by you. And I'll bookmark that.
I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong :)

...and Kanye, TBH I am wrapped that he had a great game, I just dont go getting onboard the TV bandwagon after 1 good game from a season, lots of duds have had 1 good game every blue moon and been insipid for the majority. Consistent hard work and effort catches my attention, not flash in the pan type of stuff.

shit, even I had good days on the footy field:p

Very good game today from Trav! Exactly what I expect from him. Had a serious impact on the contest, and it was great to see him getting physical and attacking the footy! Hopefully he keeps this up and doesn't fall back into his tendency to just float around.

His skills in close are absolutely sublime. Some of the slickest hands going around, and just a deadly kick! I'm always confident when he has the ball, just hope he keeps getting plenty of it. I REALLY want to see him develop into the GUN we all know he can be.

It's easy to look good when you are playing a side who probably wouldn't even beat a VFL team at the moment. Especially in the first quarter where Travis was at his best, the Crows players were practically spectators for the effort they were putting in and the non-existent pressure they were applying.

He did look good I agree, but you have to put it in context of the opposition as well. It was great to see him use those skills as we know he can and I hope that at the very least he has gained confidence from the game.

The true test will come when face teams that put more pressure on the ball carriers. If he can reproduce those same skills he showed today against a top 6 team then I will say he is back.

But for now it was a positive step in the right direction for travis, but he still has a way to go. Wont be dropped next week.

So how do you justify dropping TV THIS WEEK after today's game? Stubbornness? He has finally started to produce what we love to see. Non sensical. A week off maybe. 2's?? That will not help now that his confidence has been boosted. Sorry, don't get you this week.

Again, it's YOU that has the inability to see things from another perspective. I think Christensen deserves the right to hold his place over Varcoe if it's contested(likely). If Varcoe stays and plays well against half decent opposition then OK... happy to be proven wrong. I just get so sick and tired of seeing his lazy ar$e milling around stoppages, not prepared to win some ball and contest.

If we were losing games you wouldn't be accepting his mediocre efforts. I personally don't see us as a 13-0 team, I see us as the 2nd best side in the league... that isn't good enough and we MUST improve.

He will continue to improve and has more chance of doing so in the 1's, surrounded by better players, and under more pressure. And we need him, he has rare skills.

Rare skills?? Give me a kid who's willing to put his body on the line time after time over a fancy front-runner any day. Think of what's built our list to where it is and where it's been. Strong, tough unrelenting footy. You can keep your Daniel Motlop style magic or whatever crap you want to call it.

Bottom line - To beat Collingwood we need to win at contested footy. There is really no other way around it. Varcoe running around bullying crap lists looks good in round 14.. so what? Wake up!

Conversely dropping a bloke after his best game in weeks, i think sends the wrong message to TV and is a real kick in the pants confidence wise. Current form should be rewarded, and based on his game yesterday he stays in the team as should Bundy.

Given we'll still have a potential few outs (niggles, management, JS Suspension) in the following weeks, jostling for positions in the team shouldn't be too much of an issue for the moment.

Scott was also pleased with the form of forward Travis Varcoe, who responded to pressure about his place in the team with 24 disposals and two goals.

''He was outstanding. Only four to six weeks ago he was in our top half-dozen players for the year so it's not like he's been horrendous for a long period of time. We were never panicking with Travis,'' Scott said,

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...new-dynasty-20110626-1glrz.html#ixzz1QQb4tTpj

Obviously the club rates him for things ppl on this board are not seeing...

This was a good confidence builder for Travy, let's hope he builds from here.

I actually don't reckon Varcoe is affected by who the opponent is.
So yesterday was a big pass mark from me.
It hasn't been the opponent that has brought him down. It's been his hesitation to get the pill.

Anyone remember when ronnie burns started at the cats? He was too scared to kick the ball anywhere other than to Gaz. It was laughable the positions he would put himself in just so he could get it to Gaz.

It's a bit like how we knock Hawkins for not just taking the shot rather than passing it off.

Varcoe is similar around the ball. It's like he thinks it's not his right to get the ball. That he somehow doesn't belong. That there are other higher credentialed players more worthy of getting the ball.

Yesterday it was like he was sick of being the nice guy to his team mates.

However, I still reckon that one metre handball is still a bit of self doubt.
If he changes that up to a 4 metre handball (he has the vision) he is going to create much more space and will subsequently have more 'give and get' possessions.

Then he just needs to carry it a bit. Maybe one bounce.

When this starts to happen he will carve teams up every day of the week.
And defenders wont be able to cover his punishing kicks inside 50.

Scott was also pleased with the form of forward Travis Varcoe, who responded to pressure about his place in the team with 24 disposals and two goals.

''He was outstanding. Only four to six weeks ago he was in our top half-dozen players for the year so it's not like he's been horrendous for a long period of time. We were never panicking with Travis,'' Scott said,

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...new-dynasty-20110626-1glrz.html#ixzz1QQb4tTpj

Obviously the club rates him for things ppl on this board are not seeing...

This was a good confidence builder for Travy, let's hope he builds from here.

LOL. What else is the club going to say? Scott said that all they expect from Hawkins is to "make a contest".. and he found himself in the 2's pretty quickly. I see him making plenty of contests, doesn't mean he's effective. Dropped. Scott would be doing a injustice to the club by putting players down in front of the media while in winning form, doesn't mean its right. He knows we're still not as good as we need to be though.

The media has reported several times on Varcoe's lack of form. They wouldn't even have a story if there wasn't something to back it up. How many times do I have to tell you people to look at this with 2 eyes?

Varcoe is similar around the ball. It's like he thinks it's not his right to get the ball. That he somehow doesn't belong. That there are other higher credentialed players more worthy of getting the ball.

Optimistic way of saying he's soft. Hate to point that out, and I know I'll get panned on here for it... but it's true.

Then he just needs to carry it a bit. Maybe one bounce.

When this starts to happen he will carve teams up every day of the week.
And defenders wont be able to cover his punishing kicks inside 50.

Reality = Our game style has changed, AFL footy has evolved. The days of running the ball out of defense by handball that Geelong of '07 pioneered has been found out(by Collingwood primarily). This style suited Varcoe, now he's finding it hard against good opposition and he's not on the end of as many handballs... because there ISN'T ANY. The game now is tougher, harder and more contested... taking a big toll on players injury wise. Varcoe hasn't adjusted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL. What else is the club going to say? Scott said that all they expect from Hawkins is to "make a contest".. and he found himself in the 2's pretty quickly. I see him making plenty of contests, doesn't mean he's effective. Dropped. Scott would be doing a injustice to the club by putting players down in front of the media while in winning form, doesn't mean its right. He knows we're still not as good as we need to be though.

The media has reported several times on Varcoe's lack of form. They wouldn't even have a story if there wasn't something to back it up. How many times do I have to tell you people to look at this with 2 eyes?

Of course, why didn't i think to look at this with my own eyes before...you've opened my eyes to the 29 years i've been observing and playing football as incorrect! Thanks Pat!

Spud.

Patrick = Meto

Patridge, good to see you :)

My wording was a bit confusing, sorry. I didn't mean that the people who criticised him were all wrong - far from it. I thought he had been down too. Rather, I just wanted to point out that if those same people are not willing to admit he played well today, they are either blind or a hater. Clearly you are neither.

I'll admit, I do hate it when he pulls out of contests. Just really grates me when any player does that. But his skills are beyond dispute. For his first goal yesterday I knew as soon as he had the ball it was 6 points.

Would love to see more consistency, but undoubtedly a step in the right direction. Good to see. :thumbsu:

I'll admit, I do hate it when he pulls out of contests. Just really grates me when any player does that. But his skills are beyond dispute. For his first goal yesterday I knew as soon as he had the ball it was 6 points.

Would love to see more consistency, but undoubtedly a step in the right direction. Good to see. :thumbsu:
Anyone who can't rejoice in Travs game at the weekend should really question their support of this great Club. Trav can be so devastating when his intensity is up and he gets his hands on it > 20 times. Great involvement from him and kudos to the Coaching staff who have persevered and supported him.

Of course, why didn't i think to look at this with my own eyes before...you've opened my eyes to the 29 years i've been observing and playing football as incorrect! Thanks Pat!

Spud.

Anyone who judges Varcoe's season on yesterdays performance is a one-eyed supporter... If you can dispute that, go ahead.

Anyone who judges Varcoe's season on yesterdays performance is a one-eyed supporter... If you can dispute that, go ahead.

Sure. I agree with the senior coach on this one and disagree with you.

His form went flat after the Carlton game. Prior to and leading up to that his form was anywhere between average to absolutely brilliant at times. I agree that he needed to put more defensive effort and pressure into his game in those first 9 rounds, but a good number of posters me included put this down to an interrupted pre season regarding shoulder surgery. On his form in the first 9 rounds, I wouldnt drop him under any circumstances and considered the criticism of him in this forum to be unnecessarily personal, vitriolic at times and often wildly exaggerated.

As Scott said, its not like he has been completely out of form all that long, a month or so. You coming in here claiming his whole season has been up the creek suggests you are the most one eyed person in here with some personal reason for never being found wrong or perhaps you arent really a cat fan? Anyone who sees one of their star players on the road back to some better form and is upset about it strikes me as an odd individual.

I know this is really going to anger you even further but Trav is the only guy to play every game this season AND we are undefeated. So whatever your football logic reasons with that brain of yours, Trav being in the seniors cant surely be diagnosed as unhealthy to the side surely? I cant wait to hear how 13-0 is an aberrant stat to the only guy playing ever game this year and how even when guys are injured and out of the side they are still "carrying" Trav who is in the field of play contributing!

Anyone who can't rejoice in Travs game at the weekend should really question their support of this great Club. Trav can be so devastating when his intensity is up and he gets his hands on it > 20 times. Great involvement from him and kudos to the Coaching staff who have persevered and supported him.

Yep agreed!!
People, myself included, have been calling for him to have a rest and find some form in the 2's, and he probably would have been had we not had 7 forced changes this week.

But it appeared that he found a bit of touch yesterday, yet people are still bagging him.
Sure its one game, but the poor bloke has to start finding form somewhere.

Perhaps the naysayers need to hold comments back until after this weeks game.

Sure. I agree with the senior coach on this one and disagree with you.

How about all the other media outlets that have reported his form slump / lucky to be selected etc. I've quoted them previously. They're all wrong? You can't write an article without some substance. Iv'e highlighted the Hawkins example of how Scott sung his praises then dropped him suddenly. He can't rag out players to the media... it's just not in the culture.

As Scott said, its not like he has been completely out of form all that long, a month or so. You coming in here claiming his whole season has been up the creek suggests you are the most one eyed person in here with some personal reason for never being found wrong or perhaps you arent really a cat fan?
Rubbish. Go back and re-read all my posts before assuming mate. I've credited Varcoe with several good performances this year.

Not a fan? No, I'm a realist. I want to beat Collingwood. I want improvement. I want us to be the best. I think Varcoe going back could GREATLY improve his aggression and be the best thing for him and the team moving towards September. His game yesterday was under no pressure... No pressure in finals??? Yeah right!!

I know this is really going to anger you even further but Trav is the only guy to play every game this season AND we are undefeated. So whatever your football logic reasons with that brain of yours, Trav being in the seniors cant surely be diagnosed as unhealthy to the side surely? I cant wait to hear how 13-0 is an aberrant stat to the only guy playing ever game this year and how even when guys are injured and out of the side they are still "carrying" Trav who is in the field of play contributing!

So do you want to cast assumptions about Ablett and his effectiveness while losing all but 2 games this season in the team he plays for? I wouldn't, I still rate him as the best midfielder in the competition personally... If he's so good why are the Gold Coast losing? Whether Varcoe in the team or not improves the TEAM as a whole cannot be measured, maybe you're right, maybe not. Gorilla logic there really.

Either way, you know as I do that we need to improve to beat Collingwood. Varcoe is one player who needs to improve big time for us to prevail. We're all after the same result, your just too personally attached to the players to have a clear view here.

How about all the other media outlets that have reported his form slump / lucky to be selected etc. I've quoted them previously. They're all wrong? You can't write an article without some substance. Iv'e highlighted the Hawkins example of how Scott sung his praises then dropped him suddenly. He can't rag out players to the media... it's just not in the culture.

He outed Hawkins to the media, gave him another week or 2 then dropped him...do you even follow what you preach?

Rubbish. Go back and re-read all my posts before assuming mate. I've credited Varcoe with several good performances this year.

Not a fan? No, I'm a realist. I want to beat Collingwood. I want improvement. I want us to be the best. I think Varcoe going back could GREATLY improve his aggression and be the best thing for him and the team moving towards September. His game yesterday was under no pressure... No pressure in finals??? Yeah right!!

So do you want to cast assumptions about Ablett and his effectiveness while losing all but 2 games this season in the team he plays for? I wouldn't, I still rate him as the best midfielder in the competition personally... If he's so good why are the Gold Coast losing? Whether Varcoe in the team or not improves the TEAM as a whole cannot be measured, maybe you're right, maybe not. Gorilla logic there really.

Either way, you know as I do that we need to improve to beat Collingwood. Varcoe is one player who needs to improve big time for us to prevail. We're all after the same result, your just too personally attached to the players to have a clear view here.

The media only started on him in the last week or two before Sundays game. Where are the articles before that time and no one disputed or is disputing he had a form slump since the Carlton match so what is your actual point other than drumming up attention to yourself arguing points that people have already conceded. You dont seem to be aware of when people are agreeing or disagreeing with you, you just spew out the ongoing "monologue".

The rest of your post is a garble of drivel. You're a realist and you are comparing Gold Coast to Geelong? People have no trouble seeing Gary's worth to the Gold Coast, everyone knows he is a great player and so? You're trying to make out like this is some incredible point you are making?

Your big point all along has been having Trav in the side is detrimental, yet we have won all our matches he has played all those matches and the side has changed wildy in that time. So who exactly is carrying him is my question?

Deflecting this discussion to talk about finals and how we need to improve to try and garner support to your little personal vendetta or your egomaniacal trendencies is just a pathetic subterfuge.

We need to improve to win the GF? Holy Shit mate can we install you as the President of the Greatest Coaches of All Time Guild anytime soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back