Moved Thread Trent Cotchin, Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of defensive Tiger fans here, no need to get your knickers in a twist guys, no goals after 8 games means we're allowed to ask the question.

So you think Cotchin would be a better player if he pushed up into the goalsquare and got some easy goals working over some midfielder who has been forced to stick on him? Nah, Cotchin does his best work in the middle, evaluate his performances there.

I also find it interesting that Cotchin has shown the ability to shake tags yet that doesn't count, yet even though Dangerfield has struggled a bit with tags, because he kicks goals, he's not criticised. This is the analysis of people who watch highlights and look at stats, not people who actually understand football.

Cotchin is not overrated.

He's not better than Pendles nor is he close to Ablett, don't think anyone is really.

Pendlebury missed 5 games in the middle of the year due to his leg injury, so even though it was possibly in jest, that argument sucks.

Cotch is a gun.

/thread

So you're asking a question but you don't want answers? Why have you started this thread? You wanted feedback and you're getting it from the people who watch him every weekend. If you don't like what you hear then don't ask the question.

Don't answer the question with a question though.

Don't answer the question with a question though.
Are you taking the piss? I'm not directly responding to your thread, I'm responding to your swipe at Richmond supporters defending Cotchin and how you're asking for feedback on an unpopular opinion then wondering why you don't have 100% backing from everyone.

Cotchin is not overrated.

He's not better than Pendles nor is he close to Ablett, don't think anyone is really.

Pendlebury missed 5 games in the middle of the year due to his leg injury, so even though it was possibly in jest, that argument sucks.

Cotch is a gun.

/thread
id take Cotchin over Pendlebury and swan any day of the week.
Pendlebury is a very smoth player with silky skill, & swan has good skills as well, but are greatly over rated, they are possession accumulators, buy shot kicks and hand balls back and forth to team mates.
Cotchin can have half the touches yet seill have a greater influence on the game

id take Cotchin over Pendlebury and swan any day of the week.
Pendlebury is a very smoth player with silky skill, & swan has good skills as well, but are greatly over rated, they are possession accumulators, buy shot kicks and hand balls back and forth to team mates.
Cotchin can have half the touches yet seill have a greater influence on the game
Have you watched Cotchin this year? He's been doing exactly that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's down a bit on last year, particularly since injuring his knee against Freo. So if you're comparing him to his rating of last year, when he was the consensus best player in the game, then yes, he is overrated. If you're comparing him against a rating of a very very good player, then no, he's not.

Pendles disposal is miles ahead of Cotchins. He is a better play too that stands up in big games all the time.

Even the best players have form patches.

Last year there was a stage where Cotchin was near unstoppable.

This year he's back down to mortal level. Same thing for Dangerfield who's found form after a quiet start. It happens to Pendlebury. Even Selwood who is having a huge start to the year at some stages of the past few years has had up and down periods you just don't notice because the rest of the Geelong team keep the winning going!

I'd also like to look at the captaincy effect. Stats guru's want to look at Watson and Selwood and see if they took a little hit when they first took over.

Like I said in a recent (closed down) thread... if I'm to believe everything I read on BF there are no elite players in the game, and all of the best players are over-rated. For every poster who thinks that Gaz Jr is the best there is a corresponding poster who will state that he is a cheap stat-builder who spends all of his time giving and receiving dinky handballs. I don't subscribe to this thinking, btw...

Definition of "Elite" for me - I would pay money out of my own pocket to watch this guy play the game. Players fitting this description include (and in no particular order) Ablett, Cotchin, Deledio, Pendlebury, Swan, Watson, Kennedy, Judd, Franklin, Rioli, Selwood, Kerr, etc.

I don't care for trying to make distinctions about who is the better footballer. When they're on they're all great to watch.

Bit generous on Swan......you wanna watch a bloke run around and get cheap possessions and butcher the footy.

Keep your money in your pocket son, or just go to watch Pendlebury

Remove this Banner Ad

Moved Thread Trent Cotchin, Overrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back