Toast Trent McKenzie Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

How come we never got to see this guy?

Does it all the time in defence at SANFL level (with Lienert), but there are times where it looks like a clear instruction that he must chip around with short kicks.

Does it all the time in defence at SANFL level (with Lienert), but there are times where it looks like a clear instruction that he must chip around with short kicks.
Instead of adjusting the game plan for our players, we try to adjust the players for the game plan.

If that's the case, no wonder we keep failing.

Last edited:
Port Magpies are unbeatable in AFL Evolution if you put McKenzie at CHF and just go for goals out the square. Perfect tactics.
Did the same with Stewy Dew in AFL2004 in the Wizard Home Loans cup. Primus wins the tap, mids chips to Dew, 9 point super goal from 75m out, repeat.

Did the same with Stewy Dew in AFL2004 in the Wizard Home Loans cup. Primus wins the tap, mids chips to Dew, 9 point super goal from 75m out, repeat.
Not even gonna lie, I always use the supergoal rules just to really capitalise on having the cannon in my side.

How come we never got to see this guy?

ffs 90% of the comment section of that post think he got delisted a few years ago and stopped playing footy.

Why can some players boot the ball 60m+ effortlessly, like Dew had tree trunks as legs and Tex is big but others like McKenzie and Hartlett are on the smaller spectrum (whilst someone like Wines can't kick the ball too far)

Why can some players boot the ball 60m+ effortlessly, like Dew had tree trunks as legs and Tex is big but others like McKenzie and Hartlett are on the smaller spectrum (whilst someone like Wines can't kick the ball too far)
Wines’ technique has him kicking high rather than long. Good for inside mid but shit for anything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. He can take an intercept mark okay and we all know about his kick, but he is a liability when asked to actually defend. Which as it turns out is quite an important part of being a key defender.

Personally he'd be my out for Dixon, with Westhoff spending more time back. Ebert returned to better form against the Suns, and I'd much rather get games into Georgiades than McKenzie.

That's not true, his defending has been good in his 2 most recent afl games. He was our best performing defender against gc and got 4 coaches votes (behind only boak, rockliff and rozee) as a result. I dont think itd be fair to drop him off that game

He's a different player than he was at GC. Has been used as a third tall defender at Port (a key position player at the Magpies). Been played much deeper than at GC and been much more accountable. The criticisms above are of a different player.

His problem is that he is being asked to play on players 5-10 cm taller than him. The theory is obviously that while he will be out marked 3-5 times a game, he will more than make up for it with his pace in the backline, his intercept marking and of course his kick out of defence.

He's a different player than he was at GC. Has been used as a third tall defender at Port (a key position player at the Magpies). Been played much deeper than at GC and been much more accountable. The criticisms above are of a different player.

His problem is that he is being asked to play on players 5-10 cm taller than him. The theory is obviously that while he will be out marked 3-5 times a game, he will more than make up for it with his pace in the backline, his intercept marking and of course his kick out of defence.
Apparently in his last year at Gold Coast he was a key back in the NEAFL, not 100% sure though.

Apparently in his last year at Gold Coast he was a key back in the NEAFL, not 100% sure though.
He was and I couldn't understand why I wanted to play him on the wing. Having said that I think he has been playing well but just not tall enough for the big guys. Either is Jonas or clurey mind you.

He was and I couldn't understand why I wanted to play him on the wing. Having said that I think he has been playing well but just not tall enough for the big guys. Either is Jonas or clurey mind you.
We need a ready made superstar key defender via trade in the off-season.

We need a ready made superstar key defender via trade in the off-season.

I would love that but I don’t think there is any available, especially in the right age bracket to be around for rozee’s peak.

targeting Brennan cox or Harrison petty who are both ooc for the right price would be smart.

there’s a few potential key defenders in this draft.

I like the idea of petty for a cheap pick plus draft Grainger-barrass and then we would suddenly have developing depth in a shallow area.

Great game last night. So solid. Controlled the backline. Marked everything.

We seem so incredible versatile down there now with Clurey, McKenzie, Jonas, Burton and even Hartlett who can all play on talls.

I thought he was going to bomb a goal from the centre square at one stage late. It looked like they tried to set him up for it.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

Great game last night. So solid. Controlled the backline. Marked everything.

We seem so incredible versatile down there now with Clurey, McKenzie, Jonas, Burton and even Hartlett who can all play on talls.

I thought he was going to bomb a goal from the centre square at one stage late. It looked like they tried to set him up for it.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

He made up for his lack of height by bodying up really well. Sometimes giving a last chance to someone like McKenzie who has to play for every contract pays off, hope he continues to impress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Trent McKenzie Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back