Other Trick Plays

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to get feedback on this.

In March, the NFL adopted a rule that allowed defenses to score on extra points if they successfully returned a block/interception/fumble to the opposite end zone. Many promptly forgot about the rule because it never came into play.

A team gets the opportunity to kick a field goal and its blocked and falls in the oppositions hands. They are allowed to run down and score 2 points. My question is , Can a player stop at the 1 yard line allow himself to be tackled then the team sets up for a 6 point Touchdown play?

What am I missing?

Happy to get feedback on this.

In March, the NFL adopted a rule that allowed defenses to score on extra points if they successfully returned a block/interception/fumble to the opposite end zone. Many promptly forgot about the rule because it never came into play.

A team gets the opportunity to kick a field goal and its blocked and falls in the oppositions hands. They are allowed to run down and score 2 points. My question is , Can a player stop at the 1 yard line allow himself to be tackled then the team sets up for a 6 point Touchdown play?

What am I missing?
If it doesn't get returned for a TD, the play ends, and there is a kickoff following the initial touchdown

Same with a blocked FG, if it doesn't result in a score, the ball goes back to where the missed kick was taken

If it doesn't get returned for a TD, the play ends, and there is a kickoff following the initial touchdown

Same with a blocked FG, if it doesn't result in a score, the ball goes back to where the missed kick was taken
Thanks. It bugged me last year when I saw the play. But I couldn't be bothered checking. Just scrolling through the threads made me think of it

I remember during the Don Lane packages they showed a trick play where, I think it was the Chiefs, lined up to punt. However, the punter threw a high arcing pass towards the endzone, making it look like a punt.
The Chiefs opponents were trying to get away from the ball believing it was kicked and, with the ball headed inside the 5 yard line, where the gunner raced down and caught the pass.
Unfortunately I can't find a report or video to back up my recollection, but I thought it was amazing.

This isn't really a trick play by the QB but on the flip side it's an incredible re-defined definition of hitting the receiver in stride.. extraordinary when you see the angle the QB has.

Cant find a video with the replays and where you can hear the players yelling fumble fumble which froze the D.

I don't see this as cheating.. it's got a risk involved which can easily backfire. The Corners clearly switched off. In the words of Bruce Coslet… 'Can't Do that Kid'..

I don't see this as cheating.. it's got a risk involved which can easily backfire. The Corners clearly switched off. In the words of Bruce Coslet… 'Can't Do that Kid'..

Its a trick play they had been working on all year. and they were up enough with the corners cheating to stop the run. first and only time they ran it all year.

Its a trick play they had been working on all year. and they were up enough with the corners cheating to stop the run. first and only time they ran it all year.

Cant find a video with the replays and where you can hear the players yelling fumble fumble which froze the D.

Trick plays generally only work once. The reason they work is the element of suprise. High risk high reward. Whats the point of running one at 28-0? For a bit of fun?

Trick plays generally only work once. The reason they work is the element of suprise. High risk high reward. Whats the point of running one at 28-0? For a bit of fun?

College Football is very different to NFL. its the Rose Bowl game, The Granddaddy of them all. everyone is watching and its the last game for some of the players, also the gameplan was a bit of a F**k you to everyone who didnt vote for McCaffery in the Heisman, along with some of the voters for not ranking them higher over the year for a tough schedule with no FCS teams. They may not of deserved to be a top 4 team, but still didnt get respect because they are Stanford

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how about this "old" themed trick play from the 2018 season?

The interior OL and RB are the only players ready, the rest feign toward the sidelines like they're getting instruction from the coach, as is often the case in college football, and this puts the D off guard who are all not ready. The center snaps the ball to the RB who pounds it forward for only about 5 yards tho :(

trickplay.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Other Trick Plays

Remove this Banner Ad

Back