Bomber Man

Club Legend
Dec 23, 2005
Brighton
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
I can't see Troy Simmonds displacing Richo at FF, and he doesn't make the grade at CHF, but the guy gives first use and opens up the game in the ruck.

Do you think he should be Richmond's first ruck?

Bomber Man said:
I can't see Troy Simmonds displacing Richo at FF, and he doesn't make the grade at CHF, but the guy gives first use and opens up the game in the ruck.

yes he should be and i really hope he is, as knobel is a good backup ruckman while simmonds rests up forward

No Knobel should be first ruck with simmo in the forward lines what people failed to see in simmo this year up front was the fact he made a contest even if it wasnt a grab it was a knock down, he was rarely beaten. Knobel is a good tap ruckman and helps us get first usage of the ball out of the centre. Simmo should be the no.2 ruckman with big staff a permanent forward.

Chops18 said:
No Knobel should be first ruck with simmo in the forward lines what people failed to see in simmo this year up front was the fact he made a contest even if it wasnt a grab it was a knock down, he was rarely beaten. Knobel is a good tap ruckman and helps us get first usage of the ball out of the centre. Simmo should be the no.2 ruckman with big staff a permanent forward.
Simmo up forward also takes a good defender aswell. With Simmonds, Richo and Stafford you would have a goodforward line which would be hard to contain if Cogs, Tuck and Johnson could get the ball up

Simmonds > Knobel.

He smashes him in athleticism and around the ground stamina, has decent speed for a man of his size, and is a better kick than Knobel, but only just.

Simmonds should be first ruck, Knobel off the bench during time-on and Stafford in the goalsquare.

give knobel some time to get his confidence up to maximum level and you should see him close the gap between him and Simmonds as a decent player around the ground. I'd prefer Knobel starting the quarter and swapping with Simmo off the bench. When knobel played with confidence last season, he looked quite capable around the ground and almost as good as Simmonds :D
http://www.geocities.com/tobias99_au/Jethro_Tull.html

Bomber Man said:

Great post Bomber man. You're right on the money. His best games have been in the ruck. Not quick enough or a good enough mark to play consistently well in the fwd line. Has a great leap and tap at centre bounces.

GO TIGES!!!

Sorry, but i thought everyone knew simmo was going to be given first rucking duties next year?

Didnt wallace mention that was the case? that he wont be playing players out of position anymore?

So reading between the lines over the last month or so has revealed that simmo and moore are two that i can think of that will be played in their natural positions from now on, ruck and down back respectively.

Could be wrong but im sure thats the gist of whats gonna happen.

Bomber Man said:

you must be Spud in disguise, or maybe even the drongo Walls, because they, like you, are masters of "stating the obvious", allbeit masters of "missing the obvious" as well. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blxx said:
Sorry, but i thought everyone knew simmo was going to be given first rucking duties next year?

Didnt wallace mention that was the case? that he wont be playing players out of position anymore?

So reading between the lines over the last month or so has revealed that simmo and moore are two that i can think of that will be played in their natural positions from now on, ruck and down back respectively.

Could be wrong but im sure thats the gist of whats gonna happen.

jackson would be another one imo, will be played in defence.

Bomber Man said:

he plays so much better when he is in the ruck.

simmonds has to play 1st ruck and then be rested in the forward line. He makes a contest in the forward line and allows crumbers like krakour and brown and even rodan when not in the midfield.

beaver's army said:
simmonds has to play 1st ruck and then be rested in the forward line. He makes a contest in the forward line and allows crumbers like krakour and brown and even rodan when not in the midfield.

yeah agreed but what would be even better if he actually didnt allow crumbers to get into the game and took the bloody mark, if you know what I mean?. Never seen anyone get first hands to a marking contest and not take the mark as the snake did last year. Maybe he can turn it around this year. ;)

CoggaRules said:
yeah agreed but what would be even better if he actually didnt allow crumbers to get into the game and took the bloody mark, if you know what I mean?. Never seen anyone get first hands to a marking contest and not take the mark as the snake did last year. Maybe he can turn it around this year. ;)
Yeah and when he took the mark inside 50 he usually missed the goal.
Simmonds for first ruck and part time foward but must work on set shots at goal

I think we all had the same thoughts during the season over his marking. Here is a bloke built like Drago out of Rocky IV, soaring above all, splitting packs, getting his hands on it and then.....

.....it's spilt to the ground. Looks magnificent in preparation, but the final product needs cleaning up.

He played his best games in the ruck, leave him there.

Quite honestly, his first season whilst stastically solid, left me almost in tears. So many errors, mis-directed shots for goals, spilt marks, kicks not hitting they're targets in the field of play, I wanted to pull my hair out. (Perhaps thats why I've gained my first grey hairs? Combination of Spud and Priscilla)

However - This season is a new season and I noticed that when played in the ruck, he not only made a good contest in the hit outs, but he made the opposition ruckman accountable, by accumulating posessions around the ground, something which knobel was unable to do. Knobel is a great tap ruckman, but until our team is of such a quality where we can carry players who don't do too much around the ground, Simmonds must be the first ruck.

I remember first noticing his rucking in the Port Adel game at the Dome. he was moved into the square and was leaping into the air like he had jet propelled rockets strapped to his back. Richmond had their tails up and he was throwing himself at the ball like a madman, intimidating whoever the pussy was in the ruck for Port at that stage.

Definitley love seeing him ruck, because as a foward he was just too frustrating and too often let down the blokes who'd won the ball, and got it down to him.

The Dice Man said:
I remember first noticing his rucking in the Port Adel game at the Dome. he was moved into the square and was leaping into the air like he had jet propelled rockets strapped to his back. Richmond had their tails up and he was throwing himself at the ball like a madman, intimidating whoever the pussy was in the ruck for Port at that stage.

Definitley love seeing him ruck, because as a foward he was just too frustrating and too often let down the blokes who'd won the ball, and got it down to him.

relax man, he was up against a one-legged has been in that match, that had a doonah wrapped around his leg. Up until that move, all of us were spitting chips and msot assuredly thinking that we once again had acquired another lemon, and for 5 years to boot. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Troy Simmonds first ruck?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back