TV rights deal to be announced at 2:30

Remove this Banner Ad

The part in bold, does that mean its that AFL Live on main event still? So Friday night games still will not be live? (in WA) I know its not much to care about but that would suck if its the case.

No. Every game will be live and uninterrupted siren to siren nationwide on Foxtel.

I love cable television.

I don't think the AFL got the best deal out of this.

Foxtel only has a 35% penetration rate in Australia. The vast majority of Australians still use FTA, yet there's been little improvement on FTA coverage.

The only difference for FTA viewers is that 3 of the 4 FTA games will be live.

The AFL are requiring fans in non-Victorian states to purchase Foxtel to watch the game.

That's fine if you're a massive AFL fan that needs to watch it every week, but an NRL fan is not going to go out of his/her way to buy a Foxtel membership to watch AFL.

So what further coverage is the AFL actually gaining in terms of expansion?

Essentially this deal is making current AFL fans pay more to watch the game they love, while making little inroads on expanding the game to non-AFL fans.

Apart from the dollar figure, I don't see much of a victory for our game here.

Great work Demetriou!

It's massive in the Northern states, even disregarding pay TV. 3/4 games live, including all games for the local sides.

Friday night footy goes from 11.30pm to 7.30pm. Who knows what time the Saturday/Sunday games were shown?

Huge win for those with only FTA, imo.

Can someone confirm Fox AFL is included in current sports package ?? Like i have platinum package.... ???

Tks

I was driving home, but I swear I remember them saying it'll be available with the current sports package.

So all you need to do is sign up for the t-box and it is only $10 a month? Seems like this is the best deal?

$10 a month provided you have Bigpond internet I'm assuming

Channel 7 are ****ing shit. They broadcast the game at 8:30pm on Fridays.... after it has finished and include all the break time at 1/4, 1/2 & 3/4 time.

They'll continue this abysmal practice no doubt.:thumbsdown:

However, all games live on Foxtel. :) That's a plus.

Obviously your not reading/ listening. FNF will be LIVE in Melb, and on less delay (7:30pm) in WA/SA. Live FNF at 5:30 is NOT practical in Perth- people work for a living, and many dont get home by 5:30.

Great news for Foxtel... Does anybody know if the footy channel will be included on their sports package that you can get streamed for your Xbox360?

Essentially this deal is making current AFL fans pay more to watch the game they love, while making little inroads on expanding the game to non-AFL fans.

Apart from the dollar figure, I don't see much of a victory for our game here.

Narp.

Dimmi got his pockets lined. Therefore it's "good for the game" and any other argument is not.

Derp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All games live on the T-Box is HUGE! There's already a 34 hour AFL channel but it only shows match replays, nothing live. And considering the T-Box only costs $10 a month it's a bloody steal!

Here I was thinking I might need to finally jump on the Foxtel bandwagon. :D

Yeah but you have to put up with a second rate ISP.

yep, new fox footy channel is in the current sports package.

so whats the deal with this t-box thing? i've never heard of it.

Can someone confirm Fox AFL is included in current sports package ?? Like i have platinum package.... ???

Tks

Yes it is included under the normal sports package Kim Williams stated that you dont have to pay for the new channel

This is just a brilliant result for NSW, 4 games live on 7 Mate!!!!!!! Every game live on Foxtel.

It was necessary for the push into GWS, so good on the AFL for doing it.

I have been critical of Demetrieau in the past, but the AFL have gone beyond all expectations today!

just Brilliant!

This.

I was close to canceling my fox sub too. (mainly because my team isn't worth watching this year).

From the FAQ on afl.com.au
Will there be live football on Friday nights?
Yes, for the first time football will be shown live into Victoria on Seven on Friday nights, with a 30-minute delay in SA and two hours in WA. Seven also has the right to go live in WA and SA, and it’s expected they will do so on Seven Mate by year three of the agreement to coincide with the analogue switch off.

Honestly, just eat me, 7. How hard is it?

Was watching the Channel 7 broadcast as I was kicked off Foxtel, and had to love the 7 News coverage to cut off after the Foxtel bloke started talking, because honestly, after the 7 CEO talking about how much they love footy, the Foxtel block just embarrassed them. All 9 games live siren to siren you beauty. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

TV rights deal to be announced at 2:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back