TV Rights

Remove this Banner Ad

Do they? What have they lost?

Bein at the start of the season was the most recent. I wouldn't be shocked to see ESPN uncouple and join Disney+ as an add on at some point too.

Bein at the start of the season was the most recent. I wouldn't be shocked to see ESPN uncouple and join Disney+ as an add on at some point too.
Doubt Bein would hit their bottom line too much, ESPN would be a much, much bigger blow.

4k streaming through the AFL/NRL season works for me.

Doubt Bein would hit their bottom line too much, ESPN would be a much, much bigger blow.

4k streaming through the AFL/NRL season works for me.

Yeah don't mean from their perspective, I mean from mine. I'm getting less content during the NRL and AFL off-seasons but they're charging me more money.

Kayo becoming a bit of a joke now. Next to no football content included in the package (apart from whatever is broadcast on ESPN).

ESPN may feel like they can get more money by uncoupling from Foxsports. With NBL & NBA on offer they could easily get $20 monthly subs from Basketball fans.

Kayo becoming a bit of a joke now. Next to no football content included in the package (apart from whatever is broadcast on ESPN).

ESPN may feel like they can get more money by uncoupling from Foxsports. With NBL & NBA on offer they could easily get $20 monthly subs from Basketball fans.

Would expect it to be added to Disney+.

Why wouldn't they go for thier own ESPN + app? Coudl be a good money maker.

80% owned by Disney, I'm sure Disney would like to add more content to it's own service.

Why wouldn't they go for thier own ESPN + app? Coudl be a good money maker.

Disney owns it. Why not use economies of scale and have a sports add-on like Stan does with Stan Sport?

You really cut your potalential subscriber base when you have it as an add on. I personally would consider dabbling a bit of bein and stan sport but not worth the additional cost of it for what they offer.

Think Disney thinking of off loading parts of ESPN …not as profitable for them as cable use has decreased

That's where I'm surprised they're not bringing it onto Disney+.

You really cut your potalential subscriber base when you have it as an add on. I personally would consider dabbling a bit of bein and stan sport but not worth the additional cost of it for what they offer.

I don't see Stan Sport as being viable. Their main thing is UEFA comps but everyone cancels after the group stage and resumes their subscription until their team is out of Europe. Then once the season finishes nothing between May - September. I get Stan has rugby and other stuff but surely their main attraction is UEFA competitions. Doesn't help either that Stan Sport isn't available as a standalone sub. Think they may actually get more subscribers if they were to go down that path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I were in charge of TV rights I'd do it like this

Premier League / A League - Optus Sport / Channel 10 - $20 monthly

UEFA comps / FA Cup / La Liga / Serie A - Stan Sports - -$20 monthly

Championship / SPL / League 1/2/Conference / League Cup / Ligue 1 / J League / K League / Eredivisie / other minor leagues - Bein Sports - $17 monthly

Have a subhub where if you sub to all 3 at the same time you get them for $45 monthly.

I don't see Stan Sport as being viable. Their main thing is UEFA comps but everyone cancels after the group stage and resumes their subscription until their team is out of Europe. Then once the season finishes nothing between May - September. I get Stan has rugby and other stuff but surely their main attraction is UEFA competitions. Doesn't help either that Stan Sport isn't available as a standalone sub. Think they may actually get more subscribers if they were to go down that path.
Depends really. They've got the tennis and that's pretty popular.

Depends really. They've got the tennis and that's pretty popular.

Is it?

Channel 9 show all the best matches anyway - and during the AO you can watch every match on 9Now for free - and the other tournaments are in the middle of the night so you're basically counting on the small subsection who care enough to be up for the majority of those tournaments to want to watch random matches enough to subscribe to Stan Sports to watch them, and even then it's three two week long tournaments.

The rest of tennis is on Bein isn't it?

9/stan have all the tennis majors, not sure about the mini majors.

Any add on service won't help increasing viewership.

The fta streaming will be an interesting affect on kayo, especially with the price increase

In regards to Kayo, these are the prices through each club. Sydney are the only club to not offer it.

vq6334kebxcc1.jpg

Is it?

Channel 9 show all the best matches anyway - and during the AO you can watch every match on 9Now for free - and the other tournaments are in the middle of the night so you're basically counting on the small subsection who care enough to be up for the majority of those tournaments to want to watch random matches enough to subscribe to Stan Sports to watch them, and even then it's three two week long tournaments.

The rest of tennis is on Bein isn't it?

My thoughts too. There are no teams in tennis. It doesn't attract a season long following. Only the real die hard tennis fans care about all the non major tournaments outside the majors and many of those are on in the middle of the night.

I just don't see it as a major attraction for a streaming service. I would bet that the UEFA competitions are Stan's main drawcard for Stan Sport.

In regards to Kayo, these are the prices through each club. Sydney are the only club to not offer it.

vq6334kebxcc1.jpg

I tend to think people should post the original source so they get some credit for it, rather than just copying and pasting their work for free, and without any sourcing (assuming you aren't the twitter user who did this.)

I'm a bit agnostic at the moment. I'm waiting for Tassie, West Coast's is $275 with no great add on. So I guess I just go with the cheapest and artificially inflate the GWS membership figures. Shame there isn't a cap or something to give to one of my nieces up there.

I tend to think people should post the original source so they get some credit for it, rather than just copying and pasting their work for free, and without any sourcing (assuming you aren't the twitter user who did this.)

I'm a bit agnostic at the moment. I'm waiting for Tassie, West Coast's is $275 with no great add on. So I guess I just go with the cheapest and artificially inflate the GWS membership figures. Shame there isn't a cap or something to give to one of my nieces up there.

It sucks there is no more $60 yearly sub for Paramount for A League members.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back