U/18 Carnival

Remove this Banner Ad

Natanui is crap...I hope Freo take him...

Anyone catch the earlier games...some good talent is often overlooked within the lesser teams...

Hamish Hartlett (24 possessions) and Lewis Johnston (4 goals) starred for SA in their win over NSW/ACT.

Ryan Schoenmakers (Half Forward) and Rhys O' Keefe (Half Back) also put in good performances.

Steele Sidebottom (18 possessions) and Jamie Sheahan (21 possessions), both smallish midfielders with pace, found a lot of the ball in VC's win over Tasmania. I was particulalry impressed with the footksills of Sidebottom, hitting long targets with both his left and right feet.

Mitch Robinson (26 possessions), Aaron Cornelius (4 goals) and Bart McCulloch looked good for Tassie.

Jordan Roughead also rucked well for Vic Country, while Nic Heyne, a tall fast utility type, had a strong second half to finish with 18 possessions.

Just a brief summary for now, and im sure Goldfrog can add plenty to this tomorrow.

Just got back from the game -

Natanui - Has freakish abilities and a massive leap but I must agree with other posters, is pretty poor when the ball hits the ground and can't seem to find enough of it. Shows plently of agression which is a positive and went forward to kick and contribute to a goal but not sold on him being a 1st roader yet, I hope Richmond don't follow the hype.

Lynch - Played a really solid game today that we have come to expect from Lynch. Presented hard and was rewarded and kicked a couple of goals. Takes a good strong mark as well. A solid body player in the same mould as a Jarred Roughead.

Lisle - Didn't play his best game but boy can this kid play. Has Jonathan Brown written all over him. Played throughout the carnival as a CHB which is not his natural position and still got in the bests almost every week. Today, although not his best game, still put his talent on display. Worked off his man well excellently and his decision making was good. One passage of play saw him run off the line after a center bounce, collect the contested ball, run an extra 20 meters and deliver a lace out pass to a leading forward. All for a man who stands at 196cm. Also put on display a number of times his courage when flying into packs. Please get this guy Richmond.

McKernan - Where did all the hype come from? Did not impress me one bit today, but maybe he had an off day. His disposel by foot was poor and i don't remember him hitting a target let alone getting much of the footy aswell. Easily beaten by Natanui in the ruck. Perhaps goes to show the amount of hype you can generate when related to an AFL player.

Watts - Deserves the hype and plays an exceptional brand of football for a 17 year old. Takes strong contested pack marks and kicks truley. Will be a star for years to come. Did look soft at times but he has a light frame and when he pulls down strong pack marks, who cares at his age.

Vickery - Will perhaps go late in the draft but played pretty decent today. Still coming back from a torn ACL last year so can only get better. Showed his potential down forward and was able to take some difficult contested marks, but as a 200cm ruckman, it's probably expected. Awkard kicking style though i noticed and kicked a number of points as a result.

If you got anyone else you want to know about, let me now
JSM

Natanui is crap...I hope Freo take him...

Anyone catch the earlier games...some good talent is often overlooked within the lesser teams...
Just watching the Tassie vs Vic Country game and Mitch Robinson has caught my eye so far, so too Criton(spelling?). Also like the look of Suban after finally being able to see him play a game (although it is on TV).

ps. I hope we dont end up with Natanui, the bloke might be able to jump but wow he is not a footballer

surprise surprise surpise, what do I tell everyone about getting carried away with tapouts, marks and goals are what counts, recruiters should ignore anything else until they shortlist those that register high on the first criteria, Not rocket science is it:confused:

surprise surprise surpise, what do I tell everyone about getting carried away with tapouts, marks and goals are what counts, recruiters should ignore anything else until they shortlist those that register high on the first criteria, Not rocket science is it:confused:

Natanui is a type player that I have never seen.... his Potential is unknown probably more than any player in history. The Highest leap and fastest ruck the game has seen. He can rove his own ball and he did set up a couple of goals and kick a couple to I think.
He could well be anything.
I think he will be very very good at the things he can do and be ordinary in the bits like kicking ( which can be improved ) ..... It's wether you take the very good with the bad... alot like the bigfella....

Natanui is a type player that I have never seen.... his Potential is unknown probably more than any player in history. The Highest leap and fastest ruck the game has seen. He can rove his own ball and he did set up a couple of goals and kick a couple to I think.
I think he will be very very good at the things he can do and be ordinary in the bits like kicking ( which can be improved ) ..... It's wether you take the very good with the bad... alot like the bigfella....

sounds like to many ifs to me nut...I can recall the rave reviews on josh frasers ruck exploits whilst he was fishing in the small pond at TAC U18 level...diff ball game in seniors when half your opponents arent under 5"9..In any case a futile argument as someone will have nabbed him before we get a chance to deliberate

Just watching the Tassie vs Vic Country game and Mitch Robinson has caught my eye so far, so too Criton(spelling?). Also like the look of Suban after finally being able to see him play a game (although it is on TV).
yea robinson is a ball magnet he has been ripping it up for the tassie devils in the vfl lately and has been awesome so far at the carnival . has come from know were he wasnt even going to play this year and now look at him. he is starting to grow momentum as a top pick i seriously think we should look at him. gives his all, runs all day great attitude what more could you want.:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vickery was the best big bloke on the ground I reckon.
Would be happy to grab him with our second pick.

200cm, Strong mark, good at both ends and in the ruck. Played well after being hit hard front on. Kicked goals.

Ticks all the boxes for me.

Rich looked the best mid even though he was shut down in the third.

Isn't Robinson 19? I reckon I would have gone all right in the under 18s when I was 19.
So what if the kid is 19, he obviously has talent. If Robinson was to find his way onto the list on draft day I wouldn't be disappointed at all. Only thing is I wouldn't be using a top pick on him, second round onwards would be a fair get though.

Just got back from the game -

McKernan - Where did all the hype come from? Did not impress me one bit today, but maybe he had an off day. His disposel by foot was poor and i don't remember him hitting a target let alone getting much of the footy aswell. Easily beaten by Natanui in the ruck. Perhaps goes to show the amount of hype you can generate when related to an AFL player.

JSM

I have been reading the McKernan "hype" and wondering if he is as good or better than his brother.
Corey was very good but at times looked a bit "gawky" and I have wondered if his younger brother was benefiting somewhat from the reputation of his surname.

Lisle or Lynch for mine...

Sounds sooooo much like a project player... albeit a very good one.
How often do we see some tall, early developed athletic kid tear it up as a 17 - 18 year old but come back to the pack when playing against men.

He clearly has massive potential but whoever picks him up will be taking a massive risk, (but with possible massive eventual return) in the final "pure" draft before 2 newcomers come in.

There seem to be quite a number of better (safer) options to me.

If Richmond draft Natanui I'll shit bricks. At a club with shocking development like ours he will become JON mk II. At a club like Sydney, Collingwood or West Coast he will probably meet his potential

If Richmond draft Natanui I'll shit bricks. At a club with shocking development like ours he will become JON mk II. At a club like Sydney, Collingwood or West Coast he will probably meet his potential

Did anybody notice Stephen Hill from WA and think that he looked like JON? He dashed off half back a few times, looking fantastic until it was his time to spot up a target and ala JON he stuffed it up. Hope we dont touch this kid at all.

For all those interested in Tyrone Vickery, he is the son of the Richmond boxing/weights coach John Vickery. John is the big bloke who stands at the interchange line holding the blokes back until they cross the line.

Trying to squeeze in time to write this. Only saw the main game.Haven't looked at stats, newspaper reviews or other posts, this is just as I saw it, no outside influences.
Pick 1. Naitanui. This guy is awesome. Sportsbet are offering even money about him being number 1 pick. Get on!! He obviously needs to learn more about the game but his athleticism is amazing. Don't take my word for it, the buzz in the stadium every time he got his hands to the ball said it all.Could he outreach Sandilands. Dunno but he would go close and he can only improve. Didn't look out of place when the ball hit the deck either.
Next best. I was very impressed with Tyrone Vickery, no.33. Tall, mobile, good mark. He'll go early. Be happy if we got him The other kid they were sprouting, Jack Watts is good. Seemed a bit light, I quess he's only 17, but has safe hands, positions his body well in contests and looks a real
player. Will go in the first few.
Amongst the smaller guys, really liked David Zaharakis. Think he was around last year. gets into the play well and had a lot of possessions. Used it well. The two indigeneous West Australians, Jetta and Walters were impressive. Fast, good ball users. Jetta probably the better but not much in it. Talking to a WA guy, said there were good wraps on Walters.
Mitchell Banner in the centre for Vic got a lot of it, and also liked Tom Scully,Tom Lynch(wore no.8 and looked like a VERY slim Whitnall) and Luke Shuey. One that might have escaped attention is Luke Stanton,no.5, who played on a wing. Pretty tall, got into space well and used the ball well also.
The WA guy I spoke to was a wrap on Stephen Hill, a half back flanker, who did run through the middle a couple of times and also booted a good goal.For Vic, Ashley Smith and Taylor Hunt looked ok, Sam Blease also and for WA, Chris Yarran, another indigeneous player.
Kept a special lookout for Daniel Rich. Appears solidly built but didn't do that much while I was there, from half way through the first quarter. Gotta say though, when he did get the ball, he used it bloody well.
An excellent kick.
Among the big guys,McKernan wa up against the Fijian, won a couple of taps, did some good things, but didn't stand out for mine. Wouldn't bag him on that though. Might end up good. Big Daniel Murray for the west did some ruckwork, looked ok, while Jordan Lisle and Dylan Ross and Jesse Laurie, both WA were visible. Didn't see much of Jack Fitzpatrick and Steven Gaertner, who was an early draft tip last year, had no impact. Think he only played the second half.
Overall, it was a very good standard game, better than the VFL. less pressure possibly, but the disposal was good, espacially some of the kicking to leads from the forward line.
For the Tigers, it depends on what sort of player we want obviously. Naitanui wont be there when our pick comes(he wont be there after pick1) so if we wany a KF, the best were Vickery and Watts. Either looked good, long way to go, but they stood out there. Didn't see a defender that I thought was impressive enough for a first round pick.
I wouldn't write off Daniel Rich. The WA guy said there had been a bit in the press about him not firing in the big games, but what he did, he did well. Obviously has ability.
Among the smaller guys, I don't think any one REALLY stood out as a "we must draft him" type. Zaharakis, Jetta, Walters, Scully, Lynch, Stanton all could be considered. Maybe there were some good ones in the early games.
Hamish Hartlett (24 possessions) and Lewis Johnston (4 goals) starred for SA in their win over NSW/ACT.

Ryan Schoenmakers (Half Forward) and Rhys O' Keefe (Half Back) also put in good performances.

Steele Sidebottom (18 possessions) and Jamie Sheahan (21 possessions), both smallish midfielders with pace, found a lot of the ball in VC's win over Tasmania. I was particulalry impressed with the footksills of Sidebottom, hitting long targets with both his left and right feet.

Mitch Robinson (26 possessions), Aaron Cornelius (4 goals) and Bart McCulloch looked good for Tassie.

Jordan Roughead also rucked well for Vic Country, while Nic Heyne, a tall fast utility type, had a strong second half to finish with 18 possessions.

Just a brief summary for now, and im sure Goldfrog can add plenty to this tomorrow.

Trying to squeeze in time to write this. Only saw the main game.Haven't looked at stats, newspaper reviews or other posts, this is just as I saw it, no outside influences.

Pick 1. Naitanui. This guy is awesome. Sportsbet are offering even money about him being number 1 pick. Get on!! He obviously needs to learn more about the game but his athleticism is amazing. Don't take my word for it, the buzz in the stadium every time he got his hands to the ball said it all.Could he outreach Sandilands. Dunno but he would go close and he can only improve. Didn't look out of place when the ball hit the deck either.
Next best. I was very impressed with Tyrone Vickery, no.33. Tall, mobile, good mark. He'll go early. Be happy if we got him The other kid they were sprouting, Jack Watts is good. Seemed a bit light, I quess he's only 17, but has safe hands, positions his body well in contests and looks a real
player. Will go in the first few.

Amongst the smaller guys, really liked David Zaharakis. Think he was around last year. gets into the play well and had a lot of possessions. Used it well. The two indigeneous West Australians, Jetta and Walters were impressive. Fast, good ball users. Jetta probably the better but not much in it. Talking to a WA guy, said there were good wraps on Walters.
Mitchell Banner in the centre for Vic got a lot of it, and also liked Tom Scully,Tom Lynch(wore no.8 and looked like a VERY slim Whitnall) and Luke Shuey. One that might have escaped attention is Luke Stanton,no.5, who played on a wing. Pretty tall, got into space well and used the ball well also.

The WA guy I spoke to was a wrap on Stephen Hill, a half back flanker, who did run through the middle a couple of times and also booted a good goal.For Vic, Ashley Smith and Taylor Hunt looked ok, Sam Blease also and for WA, Chris Yarran, another indigeneous player.

Kept a special lookout for Daniel Rich. Appears solidly built but didn't do that much while I was there, from half way through the first quarter. Gotta say though, when he did get the ball, he used it bloody well.
An excellent kick.

Among the big guys,McKernan wa up against the Fijian, won a couple of taps, did some good things, but didn't stand out for mine. Wouldn't bag him on that though. Might end up good. Big Daniel Murray for the west did some ruckwork, looked ok, while Jordan Lisle and Dylan Ross and Jesse Laurie, both WA were visible. Didn't see much of Jack Fitzpatrick and Steven Gaertner, who was an early draft tip last year, had no impact. Think he only played the second half.

Overall, it was a very good standard game, better than the VFL. less pressure possibly, but the disposal was good, espacially some of the kicking to leads from the forward line.

For the Tigers, it depends on what sort of player we want obviously. Naitanui wont be there when our pick comes(he wont be there after pick1) so if we wany a KF, the best were Vickery and Watts. Either looked good, long way to go, but they stood out there. Didn't see a defender that I thought was impressive enough for a first round pick.

I wouldn't write off Daniel Rich. The WA guy said there had been a bit in the press about him not firing in the big games, but what he did, he did well. Obviously has ability.

Among the smaller guys, I don't think any one REALLY stood out as a "we must draft him" type. Zaharakis, Jetta, Walters, Scully, Lynch, Stanton all could be considered. Maybe there were some good ones in the early games.

Just chucked some paragraph spacing in there. Good job though

Remove this Banner Ad

U/18 Carnival

Remove this Banner Ad

Back