UEFA EURO 2024 (Winners: Spain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kane has 5 goals, 2 assists in 19 semi finals and finals in his career. 3 were penalties and one was a rebound from a saved penalty.
So essentially 1 open play goal in 19 games and zero in any of the 6 finals.

World class player with a world class vanishing act in big games.
He's like the anti-Drogba.

The '''success''' in question:

Making Finals/SFs is still 'success'. Winning > losing.

How many knock out games at tournaments had England won before Southgate?

Southgate had too much faith in Bellingham, Foden and Kane turning around their shit form. Unfortunately for him they stayed a bit shit, should have tried different options earlier in the comp.

In every game England looked better once they had made their subs. So why not start with that line up in the next game?

Bet the majority of the English population disagree with you. No one cares to come second.

Reckon most are just salty they weren't scoring 3 goals a game. If they had done and had come second they'd still appreciate it. Just a hunch but reckon they enjoyed this tournament more than losing to Iceland in 2016.

I've got plenty on my timeline saying that moments like Bellingham's goal, Saka's goal and Watkins' have made this tournament quite enjoyable regardless of the final, which is the right way to look at it.

Reckon most are just salty they weren't scoring 3 goals a game. If they had done and had come second they'd still appreciate it. Just a hunch but reckon they enjoyed this tournament more than losing to Iceland in 2016.

I've got plenty on my timeline saying that moments like Bellingham's goal, Saka's goal and Watkins' have made this tournament quite enjoyable regardless of the final, which is the right way to look at it.

We have a fundamental disagreement on this as you know. Winning > anything else

Also, using George is very different to the average fan. He's an absolute football nerd.

There isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' way to look at it overall. People will take what they want out of it.

We have a fundamental disagreement on this as you know. Winning > anything else

Also, using George is very different to the average fan. He's an absolute football nerd.

There isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' way to look at it overall. People will take what they want out of it.

So you honestly think England fans are as disappointed with losing in this Final as they were losing to Iceland in 2016, or not making it in previous iterations?

Most fans are keen for Southgate to move on but absolutely recognise how successful he's been as an England manager in terms of bringing them a lot of progress on the pitch and success at major tournaments.

Funnily enough this just popped up at the top of my timeline, someone else describing his tenure as successful:

Arsing your way to the final is not necessarily a job saver. Apart from a half they looked terrible throughout the tournament. SM has hitched his flag for Southgate and won’t budge

Arsing your way to the final is not necessarily a job saver. Apart from a half they looked terrible throughout the tournament. SM has hitched his flag for Southgate and won’t budge

Ah yes, all my alts on Twitter are handy evidence to back me up.

I've already said a few times that people are happy for him to move on but view his tenure as a success. Not particularly controversial I would have thought.

So you honestly think England fans are as disappointed with losing in this Final as they were losing to Iceland in 2016, or not making it in previous iterations?

Most fans are keen for Southgate to move on but absolutely recognise how successful he's been as an England manager in terms of bringing them a lot of progress on the pitch and success at major tournaments.

Funnily enough this just popped up at the top of my timeline, someone else describing his tenure as successful:

This was a tournament that they'll almost never cop again. Spain had to go through all the top sides, England got one of the easiest runs through a tournament you'll see. So yes, I know plenty of fans that super disappointed with what eventuated this morning. Whether that matches 2016, you'd have to ask them. Making a final in this tournament is no amazing effort though.

Not exactly setting the bar high when you're talking about successful England managers now, are we. Hasn't even had to win a trophy to be throned.

There's a huge difference between winning this Euros and winning a World Cup. The two are barely comparable.

Spain played better through the whole tournament and deserved it why was England so defensive that's on Southgate

I think the first half of your sentence explains the second half.

This was a tournament that they'll almost never cop again. Spain had to go through all the top sides, England got one of the easiest runs through a tournament you'll see. So yes, I know plenty of fans that super disappointed with what eventuated this morning. Whether that matches 2016, you'd have to ask them. Making a final in this tournament is no amazing effort though.

Not exactly setting the bar high when you're talking about successful England managers now, are we. Hasn't even had to win a trophy to be throned.

There's a huge difference between winning this Euros and winning a World Cup. The two are barely comparable.

Isn't that precisely the point I'm making? Bloody hell. :tearsofjoy:

I think he's won more knock out games with England than all other managers combined since Alf Ramsey. It's a low ****ing bar and he's surpassed it.

He's taken a country that was regularly a shambolic laughing stock and had them competing in four consecutive tournaments. But I guess he's just got luck tournament after tournament. That's a success in and of itself even if you disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are only 2 teams not at this Euros who could win a World Cup and one of them has been poor for 20 years now so not sure it’s that different in terms of difficulty.

England were poor before this tournament, losing to Iceland and Brazil, scraping a draw with Belgium in added time.

They continued that form in the group stage, with very uninspiring draws against Denmark and Slovenia. They were seconds away from being knocked out by Slovakia in the round of 16. Got past Switzerland on penalties. A very late goal to beat Netherlands. Meanwhile in the other half of the draw Spain, Germany, France, Portugal (ranked 3, 4, 5, 7) were competing for the right to be in the final.

If England had arsed the final too you could put it down as a Southgate success. But they lost and deservedly so. I've watched all of England's recent games and they have mostly been awful to endure. Time for some new ideas from a coach who has some proven tactical nous at the highest level.

Southgate had too much faith in Bellingham, Foden and Kane turning around their shit form. Unfortunately for him they stayed a bit shit, should have tried different options earlier in the comp.
shit form? what have you been watching? A strong manager wouldn't have played Kane. He is clearly injured and can't move. Playing Kane played into Spains hands. Bellingham played about as well as he could have and Foden did his best. As soon as Watkins came on the game changed.

shit form? what have you been watching? A strong manager wouldn't have played Kane. He is clearly injured and can't move. Playing Kane played into Spains hands. Bellingham played about as well as he could have and Foden did his best. As soon as Watkins came on the game changed.
I didn't think Bellingham or Foden played that well all tournament, I guess we just see it different.

I didn't think Bellingham or Foden played that well all tournament, I guess we just see it different.
They were in the form of their lives before Fraudgate got a hold of them and they had to play with an oil tanker up front.

Yes all three teams have or have had shit managers that hope one of their many star players bails them out with a moment of genius. International coaches are shite for the most part which is why good managers only take those roles when they can't get decent club roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

UEFA EURO 2024 (Winners: Spain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back