Remove this Banner Ad

FB: Armfield Jamison Thornton

HB: Austin Bower Carrazzo

C: Gibbs McLean Simpson

HF: Yarran Waite Walker

FF: Betts Kreuzer Henderson

R: Hampson Judd Murphy

INT: O'Hailpin Joseph Grigg Hadley

If O'Hailpin is injured or performing badly, bring in Warnock. Same for Grigg/Hadley, instead bring in Houlihan/Robinson and/or Russell.

The moron who started the thread should have used the search function to find the Best thread.

N00b!

The Cats and Saints have it right with two KPF plus medium and small forwards.

We should ape their structure because our midfield is our strength.

Wouldn't mind swapping Grigg for Robinson, Garlett and even Lucas if needed.

If Stevens retired due to injury, why would we bring back Bowyer and his broken neck? :p

Why cant Kreuzer play a Koschitke role up forward with Waite similar to riewoldt with players like betts, yarran, walker, Gibbs as crumbers. Ive seen Gibbs kick 6 in an sanfl game at 16 years old. And the sanfl is clearly second best competition in Australia.

FB: Thornton - Jamison - Armfield
HB: Russell - Waite - Bower
C: Simpson - McLean - Gibbs
HF: Joseph - O'hAilpin - Walker
FF: Betts - Henderson - Yarran (Garlett)
RU: Kreuzer - Judd - Murphy
IC: Hampson - Carrazzo - Grigg - Robinson

I like the back six.. Modern football teams do not play six forwards so Joseph becomes the tagger who doesn't play HF. Gibbs and Simpson both attacking wingers.

I/C has your second ruck who can slide forward (Kreuzer can slide forward too) and the other three are predominantly midfielders who can swing to either end of the ground as needed.

Setanta can start at CHF but can slide back if required. What I love about this team is that every line has at least one player who can play elsewhere except perhaps that full back line and Rats did a smart thing last year by getting T-Bird to play some forward to give him a little versatility.

Versatility has proven time and again to be able to win football games. If a team has you beaten you can change your style. If you see a weakness in the opposition you can exploit it. A large part of our problem last year was that we were too obvious and it goes further than just having Brendan being the be all end all of it all.

Who else sat there at that Collingwood game (and the Essendon one too) and thought "Oh shit. There is no way we can turn this around. We just haven't got the team to do it?" Well, that's not going to be a problem anymore. If it is a problem then that's when it becomes clear that the guy in charge isn't worth his salt.

This year we're turning that versatility weakness into a major strength.

The following has nothing to do with DT......

With so many of you picking Walker in their best Carlton team, has his off field incidents hurt his chance to break in to the side??? I would have thought he would be given a few games earning some cred back in the VFL?

I honestly believe that Walker is firmly in our best 22 when healthy.

I think originally that it may have hurt him but with the way he's been training I think they'll select him come round one.

He's learned his lesson.

The following has nothing to do with DT......

With so many of you picking Walker in their best Carlton team, has his off field incidents hurt his chance to break in to the side??? I would have thought he would be given a few games earning some cred back in the VFL?
Needs to earn some 'cred' in terms of his disposal more than anything. He has a few players ahead of him at the moment. And one of them is a draft pick from last year - take from that what you will.

Needs to earn some 'cred' in terms of his disposal more than anything. He has a few players ahead of him at the moment. And one of them is a draft pick from last year - take from that what you will.

Add to the fact that he was one of the players responsible for losing the game to Brisbane in the final last year, when Daniel Rich tore him a new one, and you are right, Walker should earn his stripes for the first 2 or 3 weeks in the VFL ...

Walker's disposal sadly will always be erratic, therefore I cannot see the reason why he should play as a foward flanker/pocket ...

Just use him as a back pocket defender or a wing-man, I think we have plenty more talented and skillful options to use in the foward pocket.

Thornton Jamison Browne/Armfield (as needed per opponent)
Russell Bower Gibbs
BACKS: My reasons are listed elsewhere.

Simpson McLean Robinson
CENTRE: Again, my reasons are listed elsewhere

Waite Kreuzer Murphy
Betts Henderson Yarran

FORWARDS: This would be a very tricky grouping to man up to. Great height, speed and goal kicking power

Warnock Judd Joseph
RUCK DIV. Works gone into Warnock to start here already. Joseph can run all day and then some. Will work towards being an attacking stopper.

I/C: Hampson Grigg Carrazzo Walker
Great coverage in height, grunt and X factor.

Many good players to miss out here.
I just can't yet see how any of the new boys can automatically get games ahead of this grouping and would also probably be behind the experience of Scotland, O'hAilpin, Hadley and Houlihan

Austin is the real unknown just yet. (Yes, neither is Henderson but he has been given the green light already)
I have also been one to slot him straight into CHB, but let's face it: Proof not in the pudding just yet.

Thornton Jamison Browne/Armfield (as needed per opponent)
Russell Bower Gibbs
BACKS: My reasons are listed elsewhere.

Simpson McLean Robinson
CENTRE: Again, my reasons are listed elsewhere

Waite Kreuzer Murphy
Betts Henderson Yarran

FORWARDS: This would be a very tricky grouping to man up to. Great height, speed and goal kicking power

Warnock Judd Joseph
RUCK DIV. Works gone into Warnock to start here already. Joseph can run all day and then some. Will work towards being an attacking stopper.

I/C: Hampson Grigg Carrazzo Walker
Great coverage in height, grunt and X factor.

Many good players to miss out here.
I just can't yet see how any of the new boys can automatically get games ahead of this grouping and would also probably be behind the experience of Scotland, O'hAilpin, Hadley and Houlihan

Austin is the real unknown just yet. (Yes, so is Henderson but he has been given the green light already)
I have also been one to slot him straight into CHB, but let's face it: Proof not in the pudding just yet.

Love the idea of Murphy across HF Harkman :thumbsu:

I guess we all know that positions aren't exactly the said positions they once were, but from a mids perspective I see this:

Murphy gravitating within the forward structure. He kicks goals.

Gibbs gravitating in the centre to back area. He learnt his trade with us in the Back half.

Judd moving all over the ground. Because he can.

Joseph chasing around the ground. Because he will

McLean being the extractor in the centre of the ground. This is his chosen position.
Simpson and Robinson his comrades here.

We have to remember that halfway through last year our mids did get bagged for being downhill skiers and to some degree this was warranted.
We were expecting the "Big Four" to run the whole ground and they couldn't.

I've come up with two sides that I'd like to see in 2010, I can't split them at this stage (although I'm leaning towards Side #1), let me know which of the two you would pick

Side #1

side1.jpg

Side #2

side2.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Ultimate Carlton 22 - magnetic board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back