Umpires announced for the 2012 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

lol, ahh the blind.

a) She stated that she thought the knee-kick was a goal. Go back and watch it, and open your ears this time. The video-review saved her. If there was no video review like last season, it would have been a problem. The fact is that she saw wrong.

She also said she wasn't 100 per cent sure, and asked for a goal review. She followed correct procedure and the right outcome was arrived at. No error there.

b) That goal that she called touched was a fair way over the line. Anybody that has any idea about geometry can understand this. Even the commentary team were saying it.

The Seven commentators were wrong. As other posters have stated, there is raw footage taken from a shot above the goals that clearly and conclusively shows that the decision was correct.

You are wrong. The sooner you accept it, the less silly you'll look.

If it was up to the posters here (and thankfully it's not) then there would be no umpires ever. As soon as they make ONE decision that is wrong (or they think is wrong as armchair experts) they basically call for their head.

I say congrats to the umpires picked this week.

The Seven commentators were wrong. As other posters have stated, there is raw footage taken from a shot above the goals that clearly and conclusively shows that the decision was correct.
Anyone have a link to this footage? I've seen the other angles which you can't tell, but I keep getting told there's another angle.

It wasn't completely over the line, the camera angle couldn't prove that it was.
Richo, is that you?

Dont be bloody ridiculous, when you can see the ball completely over the line from the extended angle the video was shown means the balls was well over a foot over the line.

As for her call on the thigh goal (it was above the knee) She said it was definitely a goal but it might have touched the knee, it was the centre umpire that asked for the review, not her.

If it was up to the posters here (and thankfully it's not) then there would be no umpires ever. As soon as they make ONE decision that is wrong (or they think is wrong as armchair experts) they basically call for their head.

I say congrats to the umpires picked this week.

I'd be thanking the umpires aswell if I was a Hawthorn supporter.

From the footage I watched, she went to the field umpire and said the ball was ABOVE the knee. Listen again...

As for the "touched" call. No angle conclusively showed that the whole ball was over the line. If anything, the overhead view showed she was correct.

The question remains, is Roffey one of the best two goal umpires for this year?

I swear she gets more Friday night games than anyone else...

It's good for the game to have her umpire big games, plus Geisch seems to rate her very highly, so it's not a surprise that she features heavily on Friday Nights.

I don't believe she is top 2. Walker is clear #1, Wojick should feel robbed as should Dixon. Appleton was good but had the bad positional that led to a review (the one where the Hawks player kicked it off the ground through for a rushed behind and he was unsure) Wouldn't have Chelsea higher than those 4 at least.

It's good for the game to have her umpire big games, plus Geisch seems to rate her very highly, so it's not a surprise that she features heavily on Friday Nights.

I don't believe she is top 2. Walker is clear #1, Wojick should feel robbed as should Dixon. Appleton was good but had the bad positional that led to a review (the one where the Hawks player kicked it off the ground through for a rushed behind and he was unsure) Wouldn't have Chelsea higher than those 4 at least.
So it's a case of positive discrimination.

Both decisions were correct

The rule states that the ball must travel completely over the line. There is no video evidence that shows that it did completely cross the line so i think everyone should get off her back, she is there because she is one of the 2 best goal umpires of this year.
She made a bad call, clear and simple. She made a guess and maybe she was right, maybe she was wrong.

The correct decision was to call for a review. She didn't, thus she made the wrong decision.

Richo, is that you?

Dont be bloody ridiculous, when you can see the ball completely over the line from the extended angle the video was shown means the balls was well over a foot over the line.

As for her call on the thigh goal (it was above the knee) She said it was definitely a goal but it might have touched the knee, it was the centre umpire that asked for the review, not her.
At no stage did the vision show the ball was completely over the line.

She got both decisions correct. She responded quickly and took the right course of action. She got the gig because she is a good goal umpire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree.

Got the gig for PR reasons.

I'm NOT saying she's a bad goal umpire, far from that, but let's be frank and honest, it's a "Kellie Underwood".

Think of all the mums and daughters from the northern states (particularly NSW) tuning in for their one game a year and seeing a female goal umpire. PR dream.

Think of all the mums and daughters from the northern states (particularly NSW) tuning in for their one game a year and seeing a female goal umpire. PR dream.

Yup.

My issue is with people that blindly refuse to acknowledge that this might be a possibility.

tumblr_m8ljbuVVcO1ro9s10.jpg

Disagree.

Got the gig for PR reasons.

I'm NOT saying she's a bad goal umpire, far from that, but let's be frank and honest, it's a "Kellie Underwood".
It is nothing like Kellie Underwood- Kellie wasn't a great caller. Have you seen Roffey's goal umpiring? She is good-if she is better than the others she should get the gig. Have you seen her interviewed-a most intelligent, considered and articulate person-am not surprised she is good at her job. Even if her gender didn't hurt-she wouldn't be doing it if not up to it. Cynical or what lads.
And they definitely got the main umpires right.

From the footage I watched, she went to the field umpire and said the ball was ABOVE the knee. Listen again...

As for the "touched" call. No angle conclusively showed that the whole ball was over the line. If anything, the overhead view showed she was correct.
I thought she said she had thought it came from above the knee but wanted to check that it had come off below the knee. Right call.

She umpired 5 Friday night games during the regular season. And 1 of those was Round 1 when they had a Thursday night game.

For comparison the other 3 who did prelim finals did 4/5/6 Friday night games

Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that a big reason why she is 'nudged' along is because of PR reasons is either blind or apart of the AFL Umpiring Dept. It's the same with Bannister. No one will convince me that Bannister should have gotten anywhere near a finals panel, let alone actually umpire a final.

As for Chelsea...she gets away with a lot. She shouldnt be in the top 12 let alone the top 2.

I've always wondered whether she gets embarrassed about being gifted big games.

Was Luke Walker at the press conference today? If not, why not?

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires announced for the 2012 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back