Umpires announced for the 2012 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that a big reason why she is 'nudged' along is because of PR reasons is either blind or apart of the AFL Umpiring Dept.

Spot on.

Sadly, here... and like all levels of football... behind the scenes politics comes into play.

There's more to the story (which I do know), but it will be ages down the track before that comes to light.

Spot on.

Sadly, here... and like all levels of football... behind the scenes politics comes into play.

There's more to the story (which I do know), but it will be ages down the track before that comes to light.
Umpiregate?

It's interesting after a non-referral like this that the AFL would come out with this article today.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...d-of-grand-final/story-e6frf9jf-1226481542412

I also like the fact that the angle of the above camera in no way helps with their "version" of it being touched.

Whilst I don't think Chelsea is anywhere near the top 2 AFL Goal umpires, her performance on Friday night was fine. She was in perfect position to make the touched call and any referral would have come back as inconclusive and goal umpires call.

If people aren't prepared to accept a goal umpires decision when they are in perfect position, then there is no point having them out there and we should just use the video for everything, just for every small minded persons peace of mind!

Footage uploaded by the AFL yesterday. Watch here

Reckon Chelsea will be accepting apologies whenever certain posters are ready to offer them.
Glad I said nothing about this decision, although the footage is hardly conclusive.

While I think she's a fair way from top two Goal Umpire in the country, I've been hearing from people all week that this third angle showed she screwed up badly, where it doesn't show that at all.

The question remains, is Roffey one of the best two goal umpires for this year?

I swear she gets more Friday night games than anyone else...
5 - Chris Appleton, Chelsea Roffey
4 - David Dixon, Luke Walker, Stephen Williams
3 - Michael Hammond, Jason Venkataya, Daniel Wilson, Adam Wojick
2 - Mark Canning, Dale Edwick, Brett Rogers
1 - Daniel Hoskin, Courtney Lai, James Savage, Mathew Wilson

What I found interesting was this stat.
Victorian based umpire.
Mean - 16.92
Median - 17
Range - 3 (18-15)

Non-Victorian based umpire
Mean - 12.23