Umpires in red and black tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

They're in red and black every week, aren't they?

Agree.

If your arm brushes an Essendon player's chest or even remotely touches his shoulder- automatic free kick.

If the same thing happens for the other team - play on.

Every time Essendon plays you have to expect at least 2-3 goals extra in free kicks to them.

Heard Gieschen on Adelaide radio last week state that they are still waiting on the other coloured uniforms from the supplier, not sure whether true or not.

Heard Gieschen on Adelaide radio last week state that they are still waiting on the other coloured uniforms from the supplier, not sure whether true or not.

That's plausible, seeing as the umps have changed supplier to Under Armour now. Still, it's a tad unprofessional from either the AFL for not following it up in time or Under Armour for being slack in supplying the uniforms

Correct. NAB colours are Red and Black. As if NAB don't have enough advertising at the game!

Well, why stop there? "Stuff you, Collingwood, you better make those white stripes red, if you plan to play in the NAB Cup!"

"Because they're the NAB's colours..." F*** me...that can't be the reason, right??

The VFL have been on top of this issue for years...kit the umpires out in a colour that no team wears. Head to toe in orange. Easy. Then, when GWS come in, have an all fluoro green strip as well and they would never clash with anyone, no matter which teams were playing.

On a positive note: St Kilda's strip was fantastic. Hope they make that white one their permanent clash jumper.

Agree.

If your arm brushes an Essendon player's chest or even remotely touches his shoulder- automatic free kick.

If the same thing happens for the other team - play on.

Every time Essendon plays you have to expect at least 2-3 goals extra in free kicks to them.

yeah, that's it. That's how it always is. We also never get frees paid against us. Ever. Poor Carlton though, you basically have to be put in hospital for you to get a free kick.

Sucks to be you huh? Don't wield any power like Essendon do

Well, why stop there? "Stuff you, Collingwood, you better make those white stripes red, if you plan to play in the NAB Cup!"

"Because they're the NAB's colours..." F*** me...that can't be the reason, right??

The VFL have been on top of this issue for years...kit the umpires out in a colour that no team wears. Head to toe in orange. Easy. Then, when GWS come in, have an all fluoro green strip as well and they would never clash with anyone, no matter which teams were playing.

On a positive note: St Kilda's strip was fantastic. Hope they make that white one their permanent clash jumper.

I'm not saying i agree with it. I'm pretty sure it's in the pre-season sponsorship agreement. When Wizard were the sponsors the umps always wore orange.

Gee, good thing we have these clash jumpers, otherwise there might be confusion, huh Andy?

I mean, we wouldn't want to completely ignore the rules we're forcing on all the clubs, and make a worse clash than any of the teams ever did, for the benefit of a sponsor, now would we mate?
Just goes to show. The AFL's interest in what colours are being worn on the ground was never about making a clear distinction or improving the game - it's all about $$$$.

yeah NAB colours as said.

I even got excited a few times hen we were pushing the ball through a contest, thinking we had a free man on the outside. I can only feel for the boys at ground level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definately looks like a supplier issue now.

The umps are in green for tonights matches, but they're wearing last seasons Reebok uniforms. Not a good look for Under Armour if they eventually want to supply apparel to other teams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires in red and black tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back