Umpires influencing games: Exhibit 1 Car v Fre

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is this in the current laws of the game?

Lots of people are also referring to the wikipedia entry for the rules of AFL and quoting " ""The free kick is awarded at the spot where the kick or handpass lands or is first possessed, to the nearest player to the spot (unless the disposal is backwards, or the ball lands out of bounds or through for a behind, in which case the free kick is awarded to the infringed player at the spot of the infringement"

However neither of the above are in the current laws of the game:

I give up. There's not even an objective set of rules I can find to sort this out. What a mess the AFL has become.

Wiki means nothing, anyone can put stuff on there.

You could see it clearly. #VICBIAS is real. Gil was communicating to the umps via the ear pieces. WA and SA clubs should leave this corrupt league in protest.
Goes deeper than that my friend. Russia and China involved, apparently Kim Jong even had an interest in this result. Victoria must always win!

For an example If I go to punch a ball and miss the ball and hit a player in the head instead the fact it was incidental or accidental makes no difference it’s still a free kick!
It was soft as butter, Docherty milked it, should be fine for taking a dive, but he won’t because, that admit the umpire made a mistake, we can’t have that. Also Brayshaw was trying to smother the ball, he didn’t come in with a hip shoulder.

It was soft as butter, Docherty milked it, should be fine for taking a dive, but he won’t because, that admit the umpire made a mistake, we can’t have that
It was a soft free but it absolutely wasn’t a dive. He’s in his kicking motion, off balance, hit front on by a bloke in the air. Of course he fell over, so would anyone

Winners are Grinners. Losers can please themselves.

Love it that someone who supports a team that got caught straight out cheating with cash in brown paper bags under the table is called Cash is King 👍

Especially it clearly wasn't for the Blues and you've been crap ever since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo were given 2 goals by the umpire in the first quarter, with heavy rain it should have just about been enough for them to win

The rules of the game that I have a copy of (2019 Laws of the Game) don't have anything about downfield frees at all.

The ball left the field of play after ThE contact was made. It’s Beside the point anyway. It’s about the WHEN the player made contact with Docherty, which was after he kicked it. That alone is what determines the whether it is downfield or “as he kicked it”.

Downfield is paid to where the ball landed Or, in this instance, where it exited the field of play.

It was adjudicated correctly.
Agreed but Fisher gave away a free kick for in the back as a player kicked it and it was brought back. It needs to be down the ground every time but inconsistent umpiring. Correct decision made. Newnes. Just Newnes 😍😍😍

To me there were 3 critical decisions:

1) deliberate. Was there technically because the Freo player (Taberner?) knocked it towards the line and had no intention to keep the ball in

2) front on contact. I thought it was there. Brayshaw made himself airborne and made head high contact with Docherty.

3) Newnes as the recipient. This to me was the wrong call as he wasn't the closest player to where the free was paid downfield. Should have gone to Gibbons, and if it does, and I doubt he kicks the goal to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires influencing games: Exhibit 1 Car v Fre

Remove this Banner Ad

Back